The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Adam Rainsberger - DNA testing

Started by Jane Grezlik on Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Participants:

• Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
3/6/2012 at 3:41 PM

We could really use some DNA testing on this line and that of any of John Adam's brother's!!!! It would help solve the question of whether or not this Adam is the son of John Adam and not some mysterious Jacob Rainsberger. I have never been able to find a paper trail to link this line to the rest here in Ohio. Are there any males out there that would step forward??

Private User
6/19/2012 at 5:46 AM

Hey Private User... might be a good reason for us to DNA!

Private User
6/19/2012 at 8:41 AM

OK, let's do it. I'd be willing if we can find someone else on the John Adam side of the tree to compare . To be honest, I have not checked into the DNA testing for lineage purposes. I'll do a bit more digging.

Private User
6/19/2012 at 4:30 PM

Yea, I looked into it a while back but haven't really figured out the "how" side to link, but I'm sure we could figure it out with research.

http://www.familytreedna.com/

6/20/2012 at 8:28 AM

I have had 2 male cousins do the DNA. They were from different lines of my family. It can be expensive, unless you are in a group that is all ready set up or get in on a sale. Family Tree and Ancestry run sales a couple of times a year, I think. Send for the test and when you send it back apply for the highest marker results you can afford. For the best results it needs to be at least a 37 marker or higher. Lower than that, the results are too general. You would need a couple of males from any of the male lines of John Adam's siblings for the best proof of this family link and if a descendant of a known son of John Adam could be found, that would cement it.

If all we have are the males from Adam's line, all that is proven is that you are all related. ;-) Have to have that outlying line to prove beyond Adam. And be prepared for surprises.

Private User
6/30/2012 at 11:32 PM

Jane - Are you sure this Adam Rainsberger is the one you're talking about? This Adam has a brother, Jacob, who has a son named Adam...who, wouldn't you know it has another son named Adam Clarke Rainsberg. I'm just asking because I've been confusing all 4 Adams since I've been trying to locate documents for this line.

Speaking of documents, do you have any documents that show this Adam's father as 'John Adam'? I've recently found a marriage record (Adam Rainsberger and Margaret Riner) and a death certificate of their son John E Rainsberg that lists his father as Adam...not John Adam. In addition, the photo of his birthstone lists him as Adam. Just trying to firm up some of this info...thanks

7/1/2012 at 2:46 PM

Ok. Let's start at the beginning.
John Rainsberger, Sr had sons; John "Adam", John, Jacob and William to 1st wife Elizabeth. As he had 2 sons by the first name of John, John Adam was known, in this area, as Adam.

Now, in a local bio/brag book there is a short bio on the Adam married to Mary Wells, that says his father was Jacob Rainsberg. Only trouble is we can account for all the children of Jacob, brother to John Adam. The only other Jacob anywhere in the area of these men, was a Rev Jacob Rainsberg/er, who had a son Casper and lived in the Ragersville area. He was there for a short time and moved on to Toledo where his son Casper was in the early 1800's. I have ruled him out and so has several others.

Also, there is an Adam listed in the court petition for the estate of John Sr. as an heir of what would have been John Adam's share. John Adam did have a son George Washington. Apparently Adam (Mary Wells) had a brother George Washington. There is still no actual paper trail to prove the links between Adam and John Adam, or Adam and George Washington, son of John Adam, just family stories and supposition. therefore the need for the DNA testing. Another item that lends weight to the "stray" Adam being the son of John Adam, is a newspaper article, that thanks Adam for helping Mary, wife of the late Jacob, after Jacob's death. This would make good sense, as it appears that Jacob and John Adam were pretty close. The sorting out of some of these people depends very heavily on time lines and the ages of the many Adam's.

Does this help? If there are any proven living male descendants of John Adam's line and they would test, that could be matched (or not) to the Adam (Mary Wells) line. Basically a paternity test for John Adam's sons.

7/10/2012 at 4:53 PM

Family Tree is having a DNA sale. This first price is if you are NOT in a group and the second price is for a group study.
Family Tree DNA is having a big summer sale. The prices are too good to pass up.

NEW KITS Current Group Price SALE PRICE
Y-DNA 12 $99 $59
Y-DNA 37 $149 $129
Y-DNA 67 $239 $199

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion