The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

collating communications about Titanic crew profiles not yet added

Started by Terry Jackson (Switzer) on Thursday, March 8, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 21 posts
3/8/2012 at 1:42 PM

This discussion is where we can store discussions/messages about a member of Crew of the Titanic in an attempt to ascertain if there is already a profile on Geni or not. As discussions are searchable this will make them easier to find and also share them with all collaborators.

3/8/2012 at 1:44 PM

Re: William Thomas Jones
Between Lord Ian James McClure and Terry Jackson

Hi Terry, can't help you on this one. I have no idea when he died or where.
Regards Ian

Terry Jackson
Today at 1:12 PM Dear Lord Ian,

I am contacting you about this profile: William Jones

As a curator I am currently adding crew members of the Titanic to Geni and there was a William Thomas Jones born circa 1880 who survived the disaster. I wonder if this could possibly be 'your' William Thomas Jones. I would appreciate it if you could please give me your opinion soon as we are trying to pull this project together in time for the 100 anniversary of this tragic event.

Thanks

Sincerely,

Terry Jackson

William Thomas Jones

3/8/2012 at 1:46 PM

Hi
Thanks for helping me at least eliminate this one.
Terry

Judi / Judith Elaine Mc Kee
Today at 3:09 AM i doubt if he was these people were farmers at least her her side - I have no clues on his ancestry yet tho they were in or around davies county indiana and possibly Young America, Edgar, Illinois as that is where her father located the Lucas Talley line stems from greene county Indiana dna Owen county indiana

Terry Jackson
7/3/2012 at 11:31 PM Dear Judi / Judith Elaine,

I am contacting you about this profile: W. Lucas
As a curator I am currently adding profiles for the crew of the Titanic and there was an Able Seaman called William A Lucas who survived this disaster. Can you tell me if this is the same man who was born circa 1887?
I would appreciate it if you could please reply soon as we are trying to pull this project together in time for the anniversary of this tragic event.

Thanks

Sincerely,

Terry Jackson

W. Lucas

3/8/2012 at 1:48 PM

Thanks for allowing me to eliminate that one at least.

Terry

Patricia Doreen FERGUSON
Today at 12:38 AM Terry,

My ancestor Alfred Nichols was not a boatswain nor on the Titanic.

Pat

Terry Jackson
7/3/2012 at 4:00 PM Dear Patricia,

I am contacting you about this profile: A. Nichols

As a curator I am currently adding crew of the Titanic to Geni. There was a Boatswain named Alfred Nichols born circa 1870 and I wonder if it is possible this is the same person as your 'Alfred Nichols' or if he might be in your tree? I would apreciated it if you could let me know your opinion soon as we are trying to pull this together in time for the anniversary of this tragic event.

Sincerely,

Terry Jackson

A. Nichols

3/8/2012 at 1:49 PM

Hello Terry,

Sounds like a very interesting project! Would love to hear more about it.
As far as my Great Grandfather (William Patrick McCarthy born 1866) and Great Great Grandfather(William McCarthy born 1841 Cork, Ireland) I am unaware if the we aboard the Titanic. It is possible but my said the he never mentioned it too her. I will call my Grandmother who will be 93 next Tuesday and as her.

Sincerely,
Kevin

Terry Jackson
7/3/2012 at 6:18 PM Dear Kevin,

I am contacting you about this profile: W. McCarthy
As a curator I am adding profiles for the crew of the Titanic. There was a crew member called William McCarthy so I am wondering if it is possible that he is the same person as 'your' William McCarthy? He was born circa 1865 and his hometown is given as Cork, County Cork, Ireland.
I would appreciate it if you could please let me know what you think soon as we are endeavouring to complete this project in time for the anniversary of this tragic event.

Sincerely,

Terry Jackson

W. McCarthy

3/8/2012 at 1:53 PM

Thanks very much Greg. It's good to eliminate possible duplications.

Greg Michael Moga, III
7/3/2012 at 9:15 PM Dear Terry,
Thank you for your e-mail, but 'my' Uncle Will was born and died in Chicago.
I have updated his profile accordingly.
My regards,
Greg.

Terry Jackson
7/3/2012 at 6:17 PM Dear Greg,

As a curator I am adding profiles for the crew of the Titanic. There was a crew member called William McCarthy so I am wondering if it is possible that he is the same person as 'your' William McCarthy? He was born circa 1865 and his hometown is given as Cork, County Cork, Ireland.
I would appreciate it if you could please let me know what you think soon as we are endeavouring to complete this project in time for the anniversary of this tragic event.

Sincerely,

Terry Jackson

W. McCarthy

3/8/2012 at 1:54 PM

Thanks very much... Good to narrow these possiblities down.

Anne Carroll Cheney
7/3/2012 at 9:57 PM Terry,
It is not the same person. The William McCarthy in my tree was born in St. Columban, Quebec, Canada in 1868.
Anne Cheney

Terry Jackson
7/3/2012 at 6:21 PM Dear Anne,

Sincerely,

Terry Jackson

W. McCarthy

3/8/2012 at 2:22 PM

jMu, I didn't ask a question... If you are about to put a profile on Geni with a fairly common name you search Geni first and find a list and narrow that down by birth year. If there are still one or more left then you need to communicate with the managers of those profiles to find out if they are the Titanic crew member or not. (note this discussion thread is for Crew members) This thread is a storage place for these discussions.
If there are 6 people that you contact you won't get all responses at once and meanwhile someone else may be doing the same work as you. This thread should prevent them doubling your work and when there are all replies back we will all be able to tell.

3/9/2012 at 10:44 AM

Terry -

No, this is not the same person. My William McCarthy died in 1900.

Thank you.

Terry Jackson
7/3/2012 at 6:17 PM Dear Christopher,

Sincerely,

Terry Jackson

W. McCarthy

3/10/2012 at 5:30 AM

Hello Terry,
I don't beleive William John McCarthy (my GG uncle) is the same as the Titanic passenger. His father Wm Clement McCarthy was born in Ireland in 1834, then came to the States and married German immigrant Harriet Krouse. As far as i know, all of their many children (including Wm John) were born in PA.

Thanks for your hard work and good luck with the Titanic project.

Cheryl

Terry Jackson
7/3/2012 at 6:16 PM Dear Cheryl,

I am contacting you about this profile: William John McCarthy

Sincerely,

Terry Jackson

William John McCarthy

3/14/2012 at 1:02 AM

Between Christine Carol LeBrun and June Barnes

June Barnes
Today at 8:01 AM
Good morning Christine

You may be aware that we are working on a Titanic project - trying to get as many of the passengers listed on Geni before the 100th Anniversary this year.

Louise LaRocke/ Larocke aged 1 at the time has been added and a possible matching profile for her managed by yourself has been thrown up. I wonder whether you could review the match at this link and let me know what you want to do -

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000015759284200?return=match%...

I would apreciated it if you could let me know your decision soon as we are trying to pull this together in time for the anniversary of this tragic event.

Best wishes and many thanks

June

3/14/2012 at 11:03 PM

Follow up - Christine Carol LeBrun has joined the project and common profiles linked. - Christine Carole LeBrun

New query -

Re: C. Lightoller
Between Kathryn Sarah Carter and June Barnes

June Barnes
Today at 6:02 AM
Dear Kathryn,

I am contacting you about this profile: C. Lightoller

We are adding profiles of the Titanic passengers and crew to Geni, collating them in projects covering the disaster.

Charles Herbert Lightoller, 2nd Officer as you no doubt know survived. Would it be possible for your profile for this man to be added to the project? (Born 30 March 1874 - Died 8 Dec 1952 in Richmond Surrey). In order for him to be added his profile would need to be marked public.

http://www.geni.com/projects/Titanic-Crew-Staff-Orchestra-and-others

Please could you let us know soon as we are trying to complete this project in time for the 100th anniversary on April 15 this year.

I look forward to hearing from you.

June

June Barnes

C. Lightoller

3/14/2012 at 11:04 PM
3/14/2012 at 11:12 PM

Charles Herbert Lightoller - also contacted
Marcus Miller
and
Monica Jones

who appear to have abandoned Geni.

3/15/2012 at 2:51 AM
3/16/2012 at 5:28 PM

Dear Terry,

The Charles Pascoe in my tree immigrated to Canada as a child and was employed in Ontario as a miner. Best of luck with your project.

Warm Regards,
Robin Pascoe

Terry Jackson
7/3/2012 at 10:52 AM Dear Robin,

I am contacting you about this profile: C. Pascoe
As a curator I am currently adding profiles of members of the crew of the RMS Titanic in preparation for the anniversary of the tragic sinking. There was a Charles H Pascoe of Southampton born circa 1869. I am trying to ascertain whether there already exists a private profile for this Able seaman before creating a new one. Can you please confirm whether this is the same person or if you have this person in your tree?

Thanks

Sincerely,

Terry Jackson

C. Pascoe

3/17/2012 at 6:34 AM

Dear Terry,

I'm not so sure my James Forward is the one you are looking for. Here's the link of of one of my sources for him:

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/f/o/r/Marilyn-D-Forward/...

Best of luck with your project!

Kind regards,

Bridget

Terry Jackson
16/3/2012 at 7:09 PM Dear Bridget,

I am contacting you about this profile: J. Forward

I am as a curator adding profiles to the RMS Titanic Project on Geni and there is a James Forward who was 27 when the Titanic Sank and a Able Seaman on board. Is it possible that this is the same person?
I would appreciate it if you could let me know your opinion as soon as possible as we are trying to pull this project together for the 100th anniversary of this tragic event.

Thanks

Sincerely,

Terry Jackson

J. Forward

Private User
3/31/2012 at 3:37 PM

Hi Terry!

Funny I came across your post! With all this Titanic fever I decided to do a bit of digging. My grandmother used to tell me about her great uncle who was a crew member on the titanic and how he covered himself in fat from the kitchens (in case he fell into the water)and got into one of the lifeboats and survived.

Ive just had a look through all the list of people on board and it seems like there was only one mccarthy crew member and the dates fit so im 90 percent sure its him. Im now trying to fit him into my tree here on geni.! Let me know if you have any questions or if you hear anything from his immediate family or if you know where he ended up. That would be great, thanks.
Erin

4/1/2012 at 3:34 PM

Private User, Thanks for that. Will you please let me know when you have a profile for him set up in your tree? Would you be prepared for it to be a public profile and to appear on the Titanic Project which we are attempting to complete in time for the anniversary of this tragic event?

4/9/2012 at 3:19 AM

June Barnes,
Observing your loading of the 1500? survivors/drowned persons of the Titanic, I noticed 3 publications in a local publication which undoubtfully you have seen, but nevertheless here they are:

How to Survive the Titanic, or The Sinking of J. Bruce Ismay - Frances Wilson
Titanic Lives: Migrants and Millionaires, Conmen and Crew - Richard Davenport-Hines
Shadow of the Titanic: The Extraordinary Stories of those who Survived - Andrew Wilson

Private User
4/9/2012 at 3:57 AM
Showing all 21 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion