The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Looking for my New Zealand familymembers

Started by Private User on Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 17 posts
Private User
5/2/2012 at 1:55 PM

Goodday to you all,

I'm searchng my New Zealand familymembers. Can you help me? Only thing I have is the name of my aunt Helena Maria Schouten.
This is her profile
Helena Maria van Vliet

she is the daughter of SaakjeGaastra and Johannes Schouten and the sister o f my father Adrianus Hendrikus Schouten. The are formthe Hague, Holland (Netherlands). You can see the Dutch family by looking at her profile. She and her husband (dont have his name) emigrate in the 1950's to New Zealand. I dont know the place they went. Remember the letters she wrote to my parents very year and my mother reading the letters for us children. Cannot imagine these days that not so long ago the only contact was writing letters. When you emigrated you really were far away from the "home"country. Well, can imagine New Zealand became a new home.

Hope you can help, any help is welcome!
Thanks, Jennie

Private User
5/2/2012 at 2:14 PM

Archives New Zealand has information on your family, including their arrival in 1951 - this can be found at archway.archives.govt.nz

In you haven't already found it - the births, deaths and marriage register is at https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/

Private User
5/2/2012 at 2:18 PM

Thank you Ken!

Private User
5/2/2012 at 2:49 PM

And I already got help with the name of her husband and some dates. I am smiling already for the help I got so far.Thanks, and yes any more help is welcome but with this I am already happy :-)

Private User
5/2/2012 at 2:52 PM

I would recommend obtaining an igovt ID (it's very simple), assuming you are a citizen. This provides expanded info in the government records, and provides access to records up to the present day.

Private User
5/2/2012 at 10:28 PM

A researcher on Dutch immigration to New Zealand was Hank Schouten, who published 'Tasman's Legacy' on the subject in 1992. Related?

Private User
5/3/2012 at 3:55 AM

Ken, not sure but now I want to find out if he is related ... :-)
And the other thing you mentioned about assuming I am a citizen can you explain here or in a mail what you mean and how to do it (and make sure I not end in prison lol)

Private User
5/3/2012 at 10:39 AM

It means I don't know your nationality. New Zealanders can get an igovt ID that provides greater access to government files. I'm told it is a simple process, but I don't know the details as I'm not a New Zealander.

Private User
5/3/2012 at 11:23 AM

Me neither Ken I am Dutch :-)

5/3/2012 at 11:58 AM

im planning on getting one at some point jennie, but the closest place i can get one is 3 hours drive away from my house

Private User
5/3/2012 at 12:05 PM

Oh that would be great Jason! But a 3 hours drive isnot something you like to do every day:-) btw ifyoudrive 3 hours in Holland (not in a circle of course) you probably have left the country... today Iooked at a chart and saw Holland is just a small piece of New Zealand... NowI'm thinking my aunt and uncle must have loved the space they had in New Zealand instead of us living here close to each other :-)

Private User
10/28/2012 at 8:39 PM

I know Holland is quite advanced compared to us but I suggest trying the old telecommunications network if you can get a connnection
Oh !! this number looks good call it 00 64 7-828 7622 and see if they are home.
Otherwise I guess there are much more complicated ways of doing this. Just remember the time zone difference.
Oh and, If its not the right number there are plenty of others to choose from.

10/29/2012 at 2:01 AM

I'm within 20 mins walk from my closest office for the ID, but I need a current Passport issued since 1st Jan 2004.

I haven't needed one since 1994, so I'd have to get a new one before I can even apply.

Private User
10/29/2012 at 3:07 AM

Does an iGovt ID really give you the right to search current documents?
I thought it only gave you the right to order printouts and certificates, thus you need to know what you are asking for.

10/29/2012 at 3:19 AM

From their website ... http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Identity-Verification-Service-Index...

What is an igovt ID?
Your igovt ID is your full name, date of birth, place of birth and gender. By proving these four pieces of information when your igovt ID is issued, you can use your igovt ID to access government services online.

Where can I use my igovt ID?
People who have an igovt ID are able to order non-historical records online from Births, Deaths and Marriages. Over time, more services will be added.

Private User
10/29/2012 at 3:58 AM

Yes Wayne that's where I got my info from as well,
The key word is "Order" rather than search,
And that order I believe is short for 'Order and pay for'
I presume for some reason in respect to the privacy act, normal folk can't search the NZ BMD for "non historic" data.
If I'm wrong though please correct me.
-- Also note there is no fee for a IGovt ID. Because they can now milk the money out of you easier, when you obtain one. :)

10/29/2012 at 5:30 PM

Totally agree Colin ... they'll make a fortune out of us with having to order the records.

I had a quick look last night & it appears it's $20+ per record.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion