Artistic Names or Display Name

Started by Carla Assenheimer (C) on Thursday, May 3, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
5/3/2012 at 6:57 PM

Hello Randy!

I would like to raise an issue. Typically, public celebrities adopt artistic names, which we call here at Geni display name.

In applying the Requester Index, the name that appears on the page of the Project is the name of "baptism" of the public persona.

For example, in http://www.geni.com/projects/Escritores-Latinoamericanos/3494, José Oswald de Andrade Sousa (Oswald de Andrade) appears with its original name. However, it is known in the literary world, with Oswald de Andrade (simply).

There would be a way to have the display names and not the original names listed on the page?

Carla

Private User
5/3/2012 at 9:22 PM

That would be useful for US celebrities as well.

5/3/2012 at 10:03 PM

What name would you display for Prince, sorry the artist formerly known as Prince? (or did he change his name back to Prince again?)

Private User
5/3/2012 at 10:16 PM

:). Whatever he's using now?

5/3/2012 at 10:56 PM

I now know far more about him than i ever wanted to (curse you wikipedia).
I think he's back to Prince again.

5/5/2012 at 8:58 AM

Carla Assenheimer (C)

There isn't really an ideal solution to this as the "Display Name" doesn't maintain a field that I can always use to extract a given name and surname from it which is what I need to be able to sort the index correctly. I could certainly "guess" based on the name which is what I might end up doing.

As a temporary solution (but not ideal) I just rewrote the script so that at least I now put the display name in parenthesis like this:

Birnbaum, Nathan (aka George Burns) (1896 - 1996)
Clay, Cassius (aka Muhammad Ali) (1942 - )

But I'm still sorting by the birth surname and not the display name. I'll have to think more about how best to handle this.

I've added an index to the bottom of this project http://www.geni.com/projects/The-Hollywood-Walk-of-Fame/358 which demonstrates the new use of the "aka" or display name info.

5/5/2012 at 9:14 AM

Randy ... it seems to me thatt the display name, if not explicitly set in the profile, is "made up" depending on the individual user's preferences -- at a minimum, it includes the First, Middle, Last names + "," Suffix, if the Suffix is not empty. The user-options are whether the last name is all caps and whether a *different* birth surname is shown in parentheses.

So, it seems that for a non-explicit display name you'd have to "make a default" for what is otherwise a user-defined display.

5/5/2012 at 1:06 PM

Mercedes Sosa is a good example. Her birth name is very different from the name that everyone knows her by. I used the display name for "Mercedes Sosa" and entered her birth name in the name fields.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion