Harald I Halvdansson «Fairhair» Hårfagre - Dragen Harald Hårfagre sjøsatt

Started by Torbjørn Brenden on Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-48 of 48 posts
9/19/2012 at 5:30 PM

Remi, I did some more cleanup on Harald the Black, but he needs still more. Feel free to chip in.

11/5/2013 at 6:04 PM

Harald I Halvdansson «Fairhair» Hårfagre is your 33rd great grandfather.

Private User
11/5/2013 at 6:19 PM

@Harald I Halvdansson «Fairhair» Hårfagre is my 32 grt grandfather Judy Rice

11/5/2013 at 7:51 PM

Harald I Halvdansson «Fairhair» Hårfagre is your 31st great grandfather.
But he didn't used to be........

11/6/2013 at 1:27 AM

Remi -
Many of us Norwegians are descended from the Riber and Galtung families
Katrina Helvig Lauritzdatter Riiber

who supposedly descend from King Harald, are you saying that is doubtful?

What is your source for this statement?

"The 3 children he supposedly had with Svanhild (Svanhildi) Eysteinsdotter are the ones that are most doubtful"
(my supposed 27th grandmother)

what about this wife, also my supposed 27th grandmother
Snøfrid (Snæfríður) Svåsedotter, Norway

11/6/2013 at 2:37 PM

I haven't studied all the possible lines from Katrina Lauritzdatter and back to Harald Haarfagre. But I used the first line that Geni gave me, and the first big problem in that line is this person: Kristine Torsteinsdotter She is the 2nd great grandmother of Karina and you will have a hard time proving that she is the daughter of Torstein den rike and Torstein den rike We are now still 600 years after Harald lived and the problems proving the relationships are starting.

When it comes to Harlads female Companions, there are only 2 that the historians are sure about: Tora «Mostaff» Mosterstong and Ragnhild Eiriksdotter «The Mighty» den Mektige The rest of the companions are very doubtfull and neither of them are proven.

11/6/2013 at 2:38 PM
Private User
11/6/2013 at 2:46 PM

I just got connected to over 5000 profiles. a bit confused and i dont know how much i can trust the ancestor list.
Its via this one i can trace so far back
Johanne Adolphine Hjelmcrone
But then again i am not sure what to think. we were a pretty regular family tree until found out one dane married this woman which had a noble family or however you say it.

but i have not done research about these people myself its other people which also have my ancestors as their ancestors

11/6/2013 at 3:03 PM

Jonathan, you can not trust your ancestor list and think that all of them are correct. A lot of the relationships between 1650 and the nobles living in 1350 are just fantasies. My advice is to use the sources (be careful when using internet-trees as sources, many of them are plainly wrong).

Danish shouldn't be a problem for you, so here is a Danish websie made by Finn Holbæk. He has used Dansk Adels Aarbog (Danish Nobility Yearbook) to make this tree, and it's basically a copy of the information in the books in treeview. If the information in the books are wrong, so is the tree. Here is Johanne Adolphine von Hielmcrone in his tree, then you can follow the information and compare With Geni: http://finnholbek.dk/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I57549&tr...

Private User
11/7/2013 at 11:12 PM

That was an FDR quote, not Lincoln. We all must remember AAE or Adultery, adoption, and plain error. Still this is all great fun! My connection is through the Scottish kings in the 1200s

11/10/2013 at 7:02 AM

Remi, What about the Text from Snorre about Ålov: From Snorre Sturlasson: Harald Hårfagres saga:

«30. ... Kong Harald satte Tore, sønn til Ragnvald jarl, over Møre, og giftet ham med Ålov, datteren sin, hun som ble kalt Årbot. Tore jarl Teiande (den tause) fikk da samme riket som hans far Ragnvald hadde hatt.» 1)

You don't believe in this Text, that Ålov was Haralds Daughter ?

11/10/2013 at 11:33 AM

No, I don't. Not without further evidence from other sources written before Snorre wrote his saga. Snorre wrote this more than 300 years after the events, and therefore as a genealogical text it's not trustworthy.

11/11/2013 at 1:27 AM

Harald I Halvdansson "Fairhair" Hårfagre
is my 33rd great grandfather

11/11/2013 at 4:33 PM

Harald I Halvdansson «Fairhair» Hårfagre is your 30th great grandfather if all is correct, and I doubt it.

11/14/2013 at 8:38 AM

Remi is spot on, it is not that easy to trust all the ancestors, there is a lot of research for each person as you move back in time and a lot of sources to read through and compare to figure out the right linage. It is individual if you want a lineage that is correct or you can live with a tree that is incorrect.
Personally I prefer that the tree is correct, therfore I have a ofline tree where I have the trustworthy and confirmed linage, backed up by court documents ec.

11/15/2013 at 1:05 AM

Per Skulason: That was a great idea. Two trees. I will do that. I get very frustrated when I get some ancestors that I am very unsecure with. With your idea I can keep one tree "clean" and the other one is there for amusement.

11/16/2013 at 3:07 PM

Everyone should have their own offline genealogical software where you have your own familytree and -history. I myself use Brother's Keeper, whixh is one of the most commonly used genealogical programs in Norway With probably more than 50% usage. Norwegian link: http://www.bkwin.info/ but the program is american and are in many languages.

But if you want to check out other genealogical software, here are some suggestions: (Alphabetical order) Disgen (swedish), Embla (norwegian), Legacy (many languages), The Master Genealogist (TMG) american but in many languages. For Mac: Reunion. For Linux: Gramps.

For more information in norwegian about these and other programs: http://www.disnorge.no/cms/programmene

11/16/2013 at 4:05 PM

Absolutely. I have used TMG for ages offline. But it sounds like a good idea to have one private and one open tree online.

Showing 31-48 of 48 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion