Relationship calculator, doesn't emphasize BLOOD relationship.

Started by Timothy Leslie on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 22 posts
6/21/2012 at 6:59 AM

Is there a problem with the calculator at this time? When I look at a 5th Great Grandfather of mine, the calculator is showing him as my " third great uncle's grandfather. ", like thru marriage only. Obviously a straight BLOOD path to one's grand parent is the much more important relationship. I'm absolutely sure it wasn't doing that maybe a week ago, as I've looked at this particular profile several times within the last month or two, and that bizarre path would have really gotten my attention, the way it did this morning.

6/21/2012 at 7:03 AM

This is the profile I'm talking about: @Patrick Carmichael

But my own is private so I guess I can't/won't just post that, although Geni staff obviously could look at both profiles.

6/21/2012 at 7:12 AM

And this is what I see when I view this profile of my 5th Great Grandfather: http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/2340/patrickcarmichaelweirdr.jpg

6/22/2012 at 6:13 AM

This issue was discussed several times,
The path Geni finds is not necessarily the shortest or the mos blood-relation oriented.
I know from other discussions that that Geni staff is working on it.

6/22/2012 at 10:33 AM

An ancestor path should get priority -- there's a good chance, though, that this is the result of caching within a week of a merge. Timothy, hit me up here or in an Inbox message if this doesn't clear up within a week.

Mike at Geni

6/22/2012 at 11:01 AM

Michael Stangel, I received an example for an user (Deisi Vaz Pinto) where Philippe II Auguste, roi de France, his 23º great grandfather (http://www.geni.com/people/Philippe-II-Auguste-roi-de-France/600000...) who is son of Louis VI le Gros, roi de France and Adélaïde de Maurienne. But Louis VI didn't show as his 24º GGF: ” Louis VI le Gros, roi de France, is his 23rd great grandmother's husband's father”.

6/22/2012 at 11:08 AM

Lúcia has the problem persisted for more than a week?

6/22/2012 at 11:21 AM

I don't know. Do you like I check it?

6/22/2012 at 11:28 AM

Yes. See http://www.geni.com/path/Louis+VI+le+Gros+roi+de+France+is+related+...

He told me at 11 June and still today.

6/22/2012 at 11:29 AM
6/22/2012 at 2:00 PM

Thank you, Yaacov. A search of the discussions for the phrase "relationship calculator" did not bring up any discussions about it; I looked before starting this one. I opened a ticket for the subject, and will update this discussion with anything I hear about it.

6/22/2012 at 2:02 PM

Mike, I will do so, thanks.

6/22/2012 at 2:47 PM

Lúcia I logged in as Deisi Vaz Pinto, had to click "how are you related?" and then it came back with "Philippe II Auguste, roi de France is your 23rd great grandfather. "

One note for you and Timothy that I just remembered, after a week if the path is still valid, it'll show the same old path but with a refresh icon (circular arrows) at the end -- you can click that to do a new search, which may be necessary if there were merges. [Side note, curators always see the refresh icon]

6/22/2012 at 3:42 PM

Yes Michael Stangel, the path to Philippe always worked. The problem is with his grandfather Louis, who was supposed to be the 25th. See my link above.

6/22/2012 at 4:29 PM

Sorry about that, Lúcia. I checked again, indeed this was a case where he needed to click the refresh icon at the end of the path. Once I did that, it came back with "Louis VI le Gros, roi de France is your 25th great grandfather."

Private User
6/23/2012 at 12:43 AM

Is the situation still that only curators have the refresh path icon?

6/23/2012 at 7:54 AM

Curators always have the path refresh icon, whereas other users see it 1 week after the path was calculated. I'm going to look into whether or not we can shorten that to something like 3 days.

6/23/2012 at 4:16 PM

Timothy, if you search for "relation path" discussion, you'll find it quickly.

6/27/2012 at 7:03 AM

The help desk pointed out a FAQ item about this subject, and one sentence from an entry dated 3-2-2011 says: "The good news is we are working on an enhancement to that feature to enable users to view all relationships path between the focus person and relative."

Is this feature still being worked on? Because I'm sure many of us would like to see the various relationships for ourselves. In the same entry it says that Geni shows the "shortest" path, and if a path via marriage is shorter, then THAT is what it will show. I personally do not really care if I can call a distant relative an in-law, I'm only interested in Blood paths, so I would deeply appreciate being able to see all the possible relationships, to identify the blood path(s) that I am most interested in.

7/7/2012 at 7:47 AM

No official word from Geni about my question above? It seems someone at Geni has said the shortest path will be shown, even if it skips blood ties in favor of marriage links, but more interestingly, once upon a time Geni said they might let us see ALL the paths to a given person, not just the shortest one.

7/8/2012 at 9:09 AM

Multiple paths are still on our "to do" list but dependent upon some other technology we're working on -- it's actually all done, but we have to make sure that the tree structure in this new system is identical to what you're seeing today. Once that's done, we'll be able to support showing multiple paths, most likely closest blood relationship and closes cross-marriage relationship.

The current system searches for a blood relationship before looking across distant marriages, so it's possible that it might turn up a very distant cousin relationship before, say, 6th cousin's 3rd cousin (even if the latter might be closer).

7/8/2012 at 7:04 PM

Thanks for the info, Mike! I look forward to the new features and will be waiting eagerly. Tim

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion