Started by Private User on Friday, June 29, 2012

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
6/29/2012 at 3:31 PM

This discussion outlines exchanges intended to gain clarity on how individuals are related to the esteemed Dr. Jose Rizal. This forum intends to thresh out questions and gain answers. This exchange will also be the basis of inclusion or exclusion of certain profiles in the family tree. Requests and actions will be moderated by a Geni Curator.

Private User
6/29/2012 at 3:42 PM

Hi Private User, Private User and Jerome. I just added the Cua Clan Genealogies from China to the lineage of Jose Rizal. I also filled out background information on some of Rizal ancestors, based on the Fookien Times Yearbook 1953 article on his genealogy.

In the course of validating the down-line, I got stumped. The current family tree reflects Mariano Jimenez Mercado as Rizal's great uncle; but I could not find a reference to him elsewhere. Francisco Mercado I and Cirila Monicha, in my records only had two sons -- Juan and Clemente. Mariano also bears the middle name "Jimenez" which is not consistent with the maternal surname "Monicha".

Can you provide some insight? Lourdes & Antonio, as you are the profile managers, perhaps you could share your sources? Thank you so much!

Private User
6/29/2012 at 11:39 PM

Hi Enrique Ver Reyes, Jerome and Private User. Writing you all about the parentage of Regina Ursua.

Your profiles of Regina's parents reflect the names Eugenio Ursua and Benigna Ochoa. I found an account on page 59 of this book http://bit.ly/N3pkyT (Craig, Austin. "Lineage, Life and Labors of Jose Rizal". Manila: Philippine Education Company, 1913.) which names the parents of Regina Ochoa to be Mariquita Ochoa and the exiled Marquis de Canete.

Could you share your sources Regina's parentage please, so we can complete the validation? Thanks!

Private User
6/30/2012 at 4:58 AM

Hi Private User. Recapping what I emailed to you earlier to day. Research by the Philippine Historical Commission (a government agency) into the genealogy of our national hero, Jose Rizal, revealed that he belongs to the Cai or Cua Clan of Siongque. In fact, a shrine to Dr. Rizal was built in his ancestors' home province. http://bit.ly/MIiUpr.

The government research reveals Dr. Jose Rizal's migrant 2x great grandfather (Cua Yi Lam from Siongque Village) who was the first to move to the Philippines is 19 generations removed from Cai Shu Du, the fifth son of the founder of the Zhou Dynasty.

I merged the apex of the tree I created to a profile you managed 周文王 King Wen of Zhou 昌 Chang. Merges need to happen; but as I do not read Chinese text, I was hoping you could help merge the duplicates.

Thanks, Yao!

Private User
6/30/2012 at 5:03 AM

Another request, Private User. Could you include Romanized letters to the Chinese names? I am not even sure if this is possible; but it would really help us who do not read hanzi.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Private User
7/4/2012 at 6:02 AM

Hey, Sanya / Alexandra Faustmann! I just read an archived article on the construction of the Rizal Monument in Siongque and saw that your mom was actually in China for the groundbreaking! You might have something to contribute to our Rizal discussion going on here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/97588?msg=801087&page=2.

Must meet up with your mom for lunch soon! Tara na!

Private User
7/4/2012 at 3:22 PM

In response to: http://www.geni.com/discussions/110551?msg=800328.

I got a note this note via PM from Private User: "I came to merge a file from C. Tuazon 3-4 years ago. The group claimed to be family members related to the Mercado. I myself questioned this particular node after all the researches. I definitely move for this node to be corrected."

I have not yet gotten a reply from Private User and it has been more than a year since she last logged in to Geni. So for now, I will disconnect Mariano Jimenez Mercado as Rizal's great uncle. We can always reconnect when documents supporting this relationship come up. :D

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion