Walter Bulkeley Barrington, 9th Viscount Barrington of Ardglass - Middle name

Started by Michael Stangel on Friday, July 6, 2012

Participants:

Showing all 9 posts
7/6/2012 at 9:25 AM

At the request of an interested family researcher, I corrected Barrington's middle name to "Bulkeley" in accordance with the information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Barrington,_9th_Viscount_Barrin... and other sources (including the photograph of the monument, found on Wikipedia)

Private User
7/6/2012 at 9:36 AM

The discussion tab (counter) does not show this discussion to me once I've viewed it. Should the Wikipeida citation also be entered in the "about" tab?

7/6/2012 at 9:41 AM

Fair enough. I had the misspelled name on old paper documents of mine. Nice to have a correction. :-)

7/6/2012 at 9:51 AM

Erica, the counter is for unread messages. I personally try to avoid citing Wikipedia as a source, since it's secondary at best; there may be primary sources on the Wikipedia page worth citing here... I'll confess to being lazy on that point.

Private User
7/6/2012 at 9:54 AM

So if there's a discussion of sources on a profile and you've already seen it, how will I recall the citation?

7/6/2012 at 10:51 AM

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. If you haven't read the discussion, then you'll get the count on the discussions tab.

Private User
7/6/2012 at 10:57 AM

I wasn't clear enough. If I revisit this profile in the future the counter will not show because I've already viewed the discussion. So how will I know there is in fact a discussion on this profile and a citation from a (often acceptable) secondary source?

7/6/2012 at 1:26 PM

I'm not the keeper of such decisions, but I agree with the decision to count only unread discussion messages because discussion threads are not intended or generally perceived to be an organized permanent record. Over time, profiles like Charlemagne are going to have dozens, maybe hundreds of discussions -- are you really going to notice if the number goes from 67 to 68? If Wikipedia is a sufficient source, then we should cite it and it'll forever be on the sources tab.

Private User
7/6/2012 at 2:03 PM

You defined correctly about Wiki - it depends on the quality of their citations, so I guess I would link to Wiki as their pages do update, and "hard copy" in Geni the relevant source. Point taken about counters. I'm just not used to looking at the discussion tab at all!

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion