Deborah Sherman (Delano) - Looking for assistance connecting the dots...

Started by Tyler Kelch on Friday, July 6, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
7/6/2012 at 11:28 AM

Looking for any assistance in proving this line with documentation:

Mother: Deborah Sherman

Father: Benjamin Sherman, Sr

Son: Ezra Sherman

Son of Ezra Sherman and Deborah Howland: William Sherman

Daughter of William Sherman and Laura Nye: Charlotte Davis

Son of David Davis and Charlotte Sherman: Sherman Davis

If you have any information (i.e. hard documents in any form), I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Tyler Kelch

7/6/2012 at 2:03 PM

Update on this line. The Mayflower Society has confirmed that the marriage between Deborah Delano and Benjamin Sherman is an approved line in their records. However, they do not have Ezra Sherman as a listed as an approved child yet, so that is where the documentation is needed from, if you have it. Again, appreciate any assistance you may provide.

Private User
7/6/2012 at 3:30 PM

Tyler one idea (Since I presume you've already checked Ancestry.com and Town Vital Records) is to query the owner of this site I found as a link:

http://www.hankk2kab.net/john.html

7/6/2012 at 5:05 PM

Havent heard back from him yet. Sent out a message to that one yesterday I believe. I have found some books on the Sherman's lineage, so I'll be digging through those over the next few days. I'll update if I find anything of significance.

7/6/2012 at 10:43 PM

So this is what I have so far to link the above people...still missing the concrete evidence though on a couple:

Getting from Sherman Alvis Davis to David M. Davis and Charlotte Sherman
-1880 US Census shows that Sherman A Davis is the son of David M Davis and Sharlat Davis. Also that his birthplace is Illinois. My Great Great Grandaunt (His daughter, Roxie Maude Davis), lists him as being born in Morcelles (Marceilles) Illinois.
-His wife Effie J Farris and he didnt marry until 1885 according to Roxie, and in the 1880 Census, at 18 years old he is still listed as single.
-The 1890 Census lists him and Effie as married and they are living in Blue Mound, Kansas. This is only 36 mi. from his residence with his parents in the 1880 Census.
-The 1890 and subsequent Census 1900, 1910, and 1920 all list the same children that Roxie listed in her family tree research, including her ofcourse.
-The 1930 Census lists a Geneva Davis as living with him, and that was included also in the research that Roxie did long ago.
-In all of the Census Sherman's father's birthplace changes, and i saw that another researcher said family history claims that he came from Wales. The 1880 Census shows his father being from Wales. Even from Census to Census with exact same names, birth dates and locations the birthplace of the father changes to New York, Conneticut and Massachusettes. His mother's birthplace however never changes. It is always New York up until he is quite old and claims she was born in Illinois (where he was born). Looking at the family members as the Census goes on, it is likely that he had just forgotten where they were born and said the first thing that came to mind.
-1860 and 1870 Census forms show Charlotte married to a D Davis and living in Fox (La Fox), Illinois. La Fox is only 46 mi from Marseilles, which Roxie states Sherman was born.
-Marriage record on file of Charlotte Sherman to David Davis show that they were married in New York in 1848 and that she was born in New York, just as Sherman Davis claimed on all but the last of his Census forms.

Getting from Charlotte Sherman to William A Sherman and Laura Nye
-1850 Census form shows a Charlotte Sherman living with her parents Wm (William) Sherman and Laura Sherman in Poughkeepsie, Dutchess, New York. Both of her parents were listed as born in New York.

Getting from William A Sherman to Ezra Sherman and Deborah Howland
-1820 Census lists Ezra Sherman as living in Poughkeepsie, Dutchess, New York with 1 son aged between 16 and 25 and 1 son under 15. William Sherman would have been 25 years old during this Census, but no older. It also only lists 1 person over the age of 25, which would be him ofcourse. His wife is shown to have died 2 years earlier, so this makes sense as well.
-1810 and 1880 shows similar records in similar areas, living inside of Dutchess County, New York.
-Pawling and Quaker Hill are less than 6 mi apart.

Getting from Ezra Sherman to Benjamin Sherman Sr and Deborah Delano
-1790 US Census shows Benjamin Sherman living in Pawling, Duchess County, New York.
-Benjamin Shearman and Deborah Delano have a grave marked with both of their names, located in Duchess County, New York.
-Marriage Certificate between Benjamin Shearman and Deborah Delano in Massachussettes.
-Will of Jabez Sherman leaving money to his son Benjamin Sherman. This shows little attention to the difference between "Sherman and Shearman.
-Deborah and Benjamin were both born in Dartmouth, MA around the same time period and both of their parents were approximately the same age, adding validity to the presumtion that they would know eachother.

Things that would help the most-

Birth Certificate of Ezra Sherman (Dutchess, NY)
Birth Certificate of William Sherman (Dutchess, NY)
Birth Certificate of Charlotte Sherman (Dutchess, NY)
Birth Certificate of Sherman Davis (Marcielles, IL)

Private User
7/7/2012 at 12:07 AM

You will have trouble with birth certicates prior to the 1890s. For Dutchess county look for TOWN records - you should be able to find them. Ditto on the Massachusetts - there are good town vital record compilations. New England Marriages prior to 1700 (Torrey) is a "gold standard" source.

7/7/2012 at 9:56 AM

Outstanding, I'll take a look thank you.

7/7/2012 at 10:07 AM

Just received clarification that Ezra Sherman is possibly included in the approved lineage. He was looking to be the most difficult to prove, so that might be a silver lining on the horizon!

7/8/2012 at 9:53 PM

Just noticed something, but would the Torrey book include documentation on couple that were born in the mid 1700's? It's name implies that it wouldn't I would think? Or did he go further into detail on some of the marriages?

Private User
7/8/2012 at 10:23 PM

Torrey is before 1700. You should be able to find town vital record collections in Ancestry.com for post 1700.

7/9/2012 at 9:53 PM

Small update. Found another record for Ezra Sherman proving that he had atleast 2 children born before 1790, but ofcourse as with almost all of the census records from that time, no names are given for them. According to my tree though he has two children that were born a while before the 1790 Census. It also shows that there were next to NO Shermans living in Dutchess County during the time that William would have been born, limiting who could be his father. Have yet to find hard documentation that he was actually born IN Dutchess County though. More fuel to the fire I guess, but still no smoking gun. I have not found a single town vital record with our William or Ezra in it. Almost to the point of craziness. Also spoke to a vetran genealogist, and he said "good luck with the Shermans" they are a ball of string thats very difficult to unravel. Also I have still not heard back from Dutchess County, nor La Salle County about vital records they may have physically on file.

Private User
7/10/2012 at 1:17 AM

<sigh>

Next ideas.

1) Land platts
2) Will data
3) Visit Poughkeepsie :)

7/10/2012 at 9:55 AM

Will try the first ones, #3 is a bit improbable since I live in washington state :P

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion