Ælfgifu 'Edith' MacKenneth (Sigurdsdóttir of Ossory), Lady of Atholl (wife of Malcolm II) - Alternative data from Merges

Started by Sharon Doubell on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 6 posts
7/19/2012 at 9:12 AM

Birth Location: Ossery, Orkey Isles, Scotland - not Ireland? Was there perhaps a second Ossery in Orkney?

7/19/2012 at 5:54 PM

Sharon,
The Orkney Islands are off the north coast of Scotland, not Ireland.
It looks like a typo to me; "Orkey" = "Orkney".
A google of Orkey returns a few hits but all seem to either be typos or references to Mainland, the biggest of the Orkney islands.

7/19/2012 at 5:56 PM

As Orkey does return results for Mainland perhaps it is a local alternative spelling?
Try looking around the SW coast of mainland for a village named Ossery that might be too small to register on Google Maps. Alternatively Ossery might be a name that has fallen out of use, perhaps even the place no longer exists?

7/20/2012 at 1:22 AM

Thanks so much for engaging on these - Alex Moes.
What I'm doing is logging the alternatives when I don't have the time to check them at the moment - so that I, or someone like you, can go back when we have the time, and the alternative data won't have been lost.

In each case - and especially the MPs - I choose the more likely - but sometimes MPs are just the best possible profile at the time; so it is possible for better data to arise.

Keeping a record of possible alternatives, so that the next serious researcher (or the manager ) on the profile doesn't work in a vacuum - seems to me to be useful.

I'm going to put this message on the other Alt Data discussions you added to as well; just as a way of explaining and encouraging others to jump in and do exactly what you just did for us on these. Thank you.

USERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO KEEP A LOG ON THIS DISCUSSION OF ANY DATA LEFT OVER FROM DATA CONFLICTS, IF THEY WANT TO FLAG IT FOR FURTHER RESEARCH BEFORE ELIMINATING IT.

7/20/2012 at 1:37 AM

Yes, I think it most likely that Orkney was the intended spelling, and it was entered as an error, in place of Ireland.

But I was hoping to be sure that the user who entered it, didn't have more information than us - vis the settlers in Orkney, who came from Ireland (not called Ireland then, of course), naming a new settlement in Orkney after their home'town' Ossory.

Most likely of all imo is that the person listed on this profile at the moment as 'Ælfgifu 'Edith' MacKenneth (Sigurdsdóttir of Ossory)' is an amalgamation of two possibilities for Malcolm's wife:
1) A woman who was the daughter of a Kenneth from Ossory Ireland and
2) A woman who was the daughter of a Sigurd from Orkney Scotland

Another possibility is that this woman was moved around from man to man - as was common in that time when wealthy daughters were pawns to consolidate their father's power, and her name changed according to the language of the people she was settled with. (Doesn't explain the father's name change, though - so I think this is a less likely explanation for what has happened on this profile on Geni.)

3/10/2013 at 8:20 AM

Does anyone have good sources for birth and death dates for this profile (whose identity is still disputed)?
Post Merge choices are Birth Date: 962
Death Date: 983 OR 11/4/1023

The reference to ancestry.com may lead to a primary source that I cannot access - In which case can someone append the actual source here? A link to ancestry isn't sufficient as a data source validating profile fields.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion