Non-pros can now complete merges

Started by Randy Schoenberg on Friday, August 3, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 60 posts
8/3/2012 at 12:30 PM

Geni again (for a time) allows non-pros to complete merges. So please visit your merge centers asap and do what you can to complete merges in the big tree. http://www.geni.com/list/tree_matches

Please let everyone else know about this terrific change.
http://www.geni.com/blog/todays-release-approving-merges-and-projec...

Post a message if you have any problems or concerns.

Randy Schoenberg

8/3/2012 at 5:29 PM

Thanks for promoting this, Randy!

8/4/2012 at 2:29 PM

NOT TRUE - tried and as usual Geni is asking me to be a pro before allowing me to do merges.

8/4/2012 at 2:56 PM

Has anyone else tried and succeeded?

(Jill) Robinson - you can only accept a merge, not initiate a merge. If you want to post a merge you want, I can request it of you and you can see if you can accept.

8/4/2012 at 3:03 PM

I am NOT trying to initiate a merge - these are requests to merge from other people.

8/4/2012 at 4:03 PM

That is annoying! I just sent a lot of requests that I have been sitting on to non-Pro members :(

Let's see what others say. It should work.

8/4/2012 at 4:10 PM

I just now saw that one of the non-PRO members who I requested a merge of was able to complete the merge and connect a standalone tree. I checked and he is not a paying member.

Private User
8/4/2012 at 4:38 PM

What percentage of non-pros did you inform about this opportunity? I learned about it by chance. You write "again"; I was not informed about any previous opportunity. When was this possible before?

Private User
8/4/2012 at 5:10 PM

For each of the profiles whose mergers I was asked to accept clicking the "Yes, request to merge" button results in "Special Offer: Try Geni Pro for free! Try Geni Pro Risk Free for 14 days" appearing.

8/4/2012 at 5:17 PM

Jill and Michael. Are you managers of the profiles that you are trying to merge? I really do not know any more than Geni announced, which was that non-pros could complete merges initiated by pros, so we are all trying to figure out exactly how it works. I am getting notices of merges so some people are figuring it out. Maybe you can hit "cancel" on the paywall screen and continue to the merge screen. It is hard for me to test, but please let us have as much information as possible so we can help figure it out.

8/4/2012 at 5:18 PM

Michael, I thought that several years ago, non-pros could also complete merges. Maybe I am wrong.

Private User
8/4/2012 at 5:20 PM

All Geni features and application changes are announced by them

In their blog

http://www.geni.com/blog

On their Help platform

http://help.geni.com/forums/337263-what-s-happening-now

on their Facebook page, genitdotcom

And probably tweeted - I don't twit myself ... :(.

Help and Blog links are at the bottom of every Geni page.

8/4/2012 at 5:43 PM

So, I tested with a non-pro account. I initiated the merge with my pro account. For some reason the merge was not in the merge center, no notification in the box either, but I did find it in the tree. I clicked on the blue button and went straight to the merge screen, no paywall. So I am not sure what was wrong for Jill and Michael. It worked for me. The non-pro account could complete the merge. Maybe they can show us the profiles that are causing the problem.

8/4/2012 at 8:11 PM

Non-Pro users have been able to complete my merge requests without issue today.

Private User
8/5/2012 at 7:51 AM

Randy, until Geni introduced restrictions a year ago Basic users could merge any family profiles as well as some others.

Clicking Cancel just takes me back to each of the pair of profiles to whose merger I've been asked to agree (I'm not the manager of any of them). The paywall has a Start Free Trial button but that has no effect unless credit card details are entered.

8/5/2012 at 8:45 AM

So, I suppose now a non-pro can only complete mergers on profiles that he/she manages.

8/5/2012 at 9:49 AM

That makes sense because it is a merge request they are responding to, a merge request that comes to them as manager.

8/5/2012 at 11:29 AM

For the past two days I have been going through suggested merges in my Merge Center and where it makes sense, requesting merges of non-PRO relatives. I'm seeing good results in terms of their responding and their trees being merged in.

Private User
8/5/2012 at 10:02 PM

Customer Service
In my Merge Center I can see the requests for Profiles I manage or for Profiles in my Max Extended Family, and can approve either.

Would be good to hear from Geni-Staff and officially be told - for non-pros now - if ONLY Primary Manager can approve, if ANY Manager can approve but it must be a Manager, or if a non-pro is suposed to be able during this time to approve merges of Profiles in his Family Group even if not a manager.

Private User
8/5/2012 at 10:05 PM

Also - does it matter if they get to the merge from their merge center, or from the Blue Pending-Merge circle on the Tree, or ??

Private User
8/5/2012 at 10:25 PM

Lois if you have pending merge requests to approve can you try it from tree view and report back?

Private User
8/5/2012 at 10:34 PM

Erica - I was asking to find out what the Non-Pros are supposed to be able to do now. (I am no longer a Non-Pro, so can't help you there.)

We already have their reports above and at http://www.geni.com/blog/todays-release-approving-merges-and-projec... that at least some of them cannot do what they believe is "accepting a merge request".

Private User
8/5/2012 at 10:50 PM

I can answer the primary manager question; that's only a communication tool, not a merge tool. I would think it makes no difference what view is being used to accept the requested merge. I would not think that non pro non managers can accept the merge request on behalf of family group members or collaborators.

8/5/2012 at 11:47 PM

Like I posted my question here: http://www.geni.com/blog/todays-release-approving-merges-and-projec...

Which ones they can complete and which ones only accept? Which filters they shall use in their Merge Centre? All Basic Users are currently replying that only thing they can see is Geni Pro Purchase proposal!?

8/5/2012 at 11:58 PM

Is it true that they can accept/complete ONLY "blue pluses" in tree view (own family tree)? Are there any restrictions - to how far relatives they can accept merges?

8/6/2012 at 4:00 AM

Since no concrete timeframe has been specified, other than it being a "limited time", perhaps the unspecified period has simply passed? Of course, it's hard to say, really ;P

8/6/2012 at 1:40 PM

The trial period is still going on. You can accept a merge request on any profile that you are allowed to edit. If you are seeing the upgrade message then most likely that is a profile that you do not have permission to edit. We are working right now on making accepting merge requests less confusing.

8/6/2012 at 5:29 PM

Prior to purchasing a PRO membership i took advantage of the 14 day free trial.
I can't remember if i used my credit card number or paypal, either way you actually get 15 days free and it is quite easy to cancel.
Provided you remember to cancel before the trial period ends there is absolutely no charge.

Private User
8/6/2012 at 7:45 PM

Michelle said, "You can accept a merge request on any profile that you are allowed to edit. If you are seeing the upgrade message then most likely that is a profile that you do not have permission to edit."

I trust her enough to believe the first sentence above is truly how it is supposed to be working right now. Non-Pros are supposed to be able to accept merges on Profiles they manage and on ones they do not manage that are in their Max Extended Family - any profile they can edit!!

However - my crystal ball says the problem may be due to a programming bug.
Suggest all the Non-Pros try to carefully catalog exactly what was/is involved when they try to merge - for example
a] are they Plus or Basic User
b] are both Profiles Public or both Private, or if one each, is the Private one the one on "their" side
c] are they a manager of the profile on "their" side?
d] is the profile on "their" side within their Max Extended Family?
e] did they get to the merge request from a blue circle on the Tree, or from their Merge Center? (are there other ways as well?)

All of the above, plus anything else you can think of that might make a difference - note down, and note if the merge went thru, or if you got an Ad for Pro. Some Non-Pros have succeeded in merging - so the more detailed we can get, the better chance if it is a programming glitch that it can be found and fixed.

Also do note
1] if you can edit the Profile you want to approve the merge on (if not, then do not expect to be able to do the merge)
2] check if the pending merge was approved by folks on the "other" side - if the ones approving it were on "your" side, then trying to add your approval will not help -- and is probably seen by the program as "requesting the merge" resulting in go to Ad for Pro rather than as accepting a merge.
3] Blue circles on the Tree View are Pending Merges - clear circle with a number in it are suggested matches - a Non-Pro is supposed to be able to complete the Pending Merge (blue circle), but will still get an Ad from the suggested matches (clear circle with number in it).

8/7/2012 at 11:24 AM

Thanks Private User. We are examining the code right now for any potential issues, but that kind of information could definitely help.

Showing 1-30 of 60 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion