8/20/2012 at 8:45 PM

Maryland, Births and Christenings index, 1662-1911

Name: Jessey Caton
Christening date: 20 Apr 1762
Christening place: St John Parish, Prince Georges, MD
Father's name: Charles Caton
Mother's name: Jemima
FHL Film #: 14303

Showing that Jesse Caton, Sr., is the son of Charles Caton and Jemina (Summers).
The book "The First Three Generations of John Summers of Prince George's County, Maryland." by Rosemary B Dodd and Helen Summers Holweck also has tremendous information on the family of Jemina Summers.
My direct line:
John Caton (b abt 1705 - d ?) and Elizabeth Moore (b abt 1703 - d ?)
Charles Caton (b 1733 - d abt 1815 and Jemina Summers (b abt 1735 - d bef 1814
Jesse Caton, Sr., (b 1762 - d 1827) and Esther Sparks (b 1770 - 1830)
Noah Caton (b 1788 - 1862) and Frances McDermid (b 1798 - 1878)
Christopher Pittman Caton (b 1815 - d 1867) and Emily Finney (b 1814 - 1894)
Howell Lewis Caton (b 1850 - d 1925) and Hester Virginia Wilson (b 1851 - d 1925)
John Emerson Caton (b 1875 - d 1940) and Jessie May Wilson (b 1878 - d 1958)
Russell Wilson Caton (b 1916 - d 2001) and Eunice Westerman (b 1918 - d 1999)

Julie

8/21/2012 at 10:00 AM

Is it Jemina or Jemima ?

8/22/2012 at 3:25 AM

The Dodd/Holweck book on the Summers family spells her name as Jemina, the christening documents for their children states Jemima. I believe the will of her father refers to her as Jemina.

8/22/2012 at 5:19 AM

What I think is crucial thing to resolve is why the Sparks family line (Esther Sparks) has Jesse's (Jessey's) father as Jonas, but still lists Noah et. al. as progeny.

That's where I'm 'hung up' a bit on this.

Unfortunately, at the present time Geni's parental relationships are shown as all-or-nothing; there's no means to show 'conjectured' or 'possible alternative' :-(. I guess we'll have to make a choice -- let me do a little more looking.

Do you have those christening documents and/or the physical book? Scan or photograph them to upload?

8/22/2012 at 5:21 AM

What do all of you have to help with this issue, Private User, Private User, Richard Sullivan, Jr, and Private User?

8/22/2012 at 5:22 AM

Julie Spencer I meant the relevant page(s), not the whole book, of course!

8/22/2012 at 3:48 PM

Yes, I have the Summers book. I'll scan some of the pages. Then what do I do with the scans?

8/22/2012 at 4:53 PM

I've just been on the web site: http://sparksfamilytree.net
Jesse Caton who married Esther Sparks, the Sparks family tree sites shows Charles Caton and Jemima as the parents of Jesse Caton.
Maybe they have 'corrected' the Caton information to show Charles Caton as the father of Jesse. This site does correctly list Jonas Caton as a son of Jesse Caton and Esther Sparks.

8/23/2012 at 12:32 AM

Use the top of screen button: Research -> Documents -> Add Documents -> Browse ... etc

8/23/2012 at 3:07 AM

Got it, thanks.

8/23/2012 at 10:02 AM

When adding a document as a Source I usually start with the "Source" tab on the profile, then click the "Add new source" (small blue words), the (again) on the resulting panel Add new".

That takes you to a selection of uploading a file, using a URL, or creating a text document.

The nice thing about this route is that after uploading the document (or via URL, which I do more often) it takes you to a panel which allows you to "edit" the document's "Meta data" -- that is, information about the document itself (is it a "birth" document? when was it created? where did it come from?) and then also to click the "Cite" button to be able to identify the specific items on the profile which are 'validated' by that "Source".

You can do it from the Document itself as well; that sometimes is easier if you are citing a number of profiles from the same document, but I generally find I work starting from the profile itself.

You don't have to upload / link the same document more than once. Just uncheck the item "show only documents associated with this profile" (or something like that!) to see the most recently added documents.

I find it VERY helpful to categorize (classify) the documents; makes it easier to find them later! (Albeit the categories are 'fixed' at this time.)

8/23/2012 at 12:33 PM

I've removed the apparently erroneous father Jonas from Jesse -- thank you, Julie, for pursuing the information! (you'll note I added a Source directly to the "correction" information on the Sparksfamilytree.net site).

That brought out a number of other merges in the surrounding families which I have cleaned as best I can see from the current profiles' information.

Keep up the good researching!

If you have some "story" about Jesse, please feel free to replace the "About" with something more interesting!

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion