Location of Grosglockarddorf

Started by Ashley on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Participants:

Showing all 8 posts
8/23/2012 at 3:58 PM

I am working on profiles for the large German and Austrian community in southeastern Texas. I keep running across a place name of Grosglockarddorf (sometimes Grosglockardorf). Other than the prefix, I can't quite figure out what that would even mean. What dialect is that?

In any case, some of the records say that it's in Germany and others say it's in Austria. And obviously, history has complicated the borders there, so I'm not sure that "Germany" or "Austria" is a helpful distinction anyway.

But what /would/ be helpful is if someone can help me pinpoint the region. Anyone ever heard of this place? Where should I be looking? Google is not helpful. Maps are not helpful. The spelling variations I've tried have not been helpful. I'm stuck.

So: Wo ist Grosglockarddorf?

8/23/2012 at 4:25 PM

Another thought:

A lot of these families were intermarried with Czech immigrants. Part of me is wondering if the name "Grosglockarddorf" is some kind of German Bohemian corruption, since there was pretty good German-Austrian-Bohemian geographic overlap at the same time of this emigration.

What's sad is that I don't have any other place names from the old country nearby in the tree to work with and possibly triangulate. (I do have Bernau, but that's a bit far flung from Austria.) But some of the surnames I'm working with around this place name are Derrich, Beier, Hoepfl, Knezek, Anderle, Heinrich, Haas, Biehunko, Schneider, Haikenwaelder, Welfl, Wendel, Zimmerman, Wenske, Fishbeck, Raab, Ducho, Beran, and Waldrich. Any of that jump out to a native German, Austrian, or Czech as being geographically distinctive?

I believe Haikenwaelder is Moravian, Anderle is Bohemian, Wenske is Sorbian, and Knezek and Biehunko are Czech...I am basically just going in ethnic circles here. Don't know that any of that gets me any closer to Grosglockarddorf. Ich brauche Hilfe!

8/23/2012 at 6:46 PM

Ashley,
It's your American accent that is making your life hard :)
Try Groß Glockersdorf!

8/23/2012 at 6:51 PM

http://www.gomapper.com/travel/where-is/gross-glockersdorf-located....

Czech Republic near Ostrava, close to the (current) Polish border.

8/23/2012 at 7:07 PM

It's an "s"! Jeez, I had tried everything (including the ettsett, naturally), but that tweak had escaped me. No wonder that -ardd- looked so wrong to me.

It's always the simplest, silliest stuff that gets past us. Thanks for being my other pair of eyes. :)

8/23/2012 at 7:25 PM

Very happy to help... of course i could be completely wrong also, no clue what a "glocker" is, perhaps someone who owns a Glock? (Glock being an Austrian manufacturer of pistols).

8/25/2012 at 6:28 PM
8/25/2012 at 8:31 PM

Ja, ich kenne die Definition der "Glocke." :) It was "glockarddorf" that confused me.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion