Most Added

Started by Randy Schoenberg on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 11 posts
8/25/2012 at 10:37 PM

Wikitree runs its own stats for Top Contributors each month. See http://www.wikitree.com/articles/features/

No reason Geni couldn't do this also. It would not only help us identify contributors, but also potential duplicators.

8/25/2012 at 11:54 PM

I just joined Wikitree a few days ago in order to claim and clean up one of my lines. Interesting place. Geni is much nicer, but some of the things I really liked about Wikitree:

1. The list of contributors. I've been very outspoken about not liking the Top 10 list on Geni, but now that I see how Wikitree makes it a part of their culture, I'm impressed. This would be a great idea for Geni.

2. I loved how Wikitree made sure before I signed up that I understood the nature of collaborative genealogy, that WikiTree is a collaborative site, and that I would not be able to develop my own tree in isolation. After it was all explained -- very directly -- I had to sign the Honor Code promising to be collaborative: http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Special:Honor_Code

3. I love how Wikitree makes me confirm before I add each ancestor that the profile is not a duplicate. Want to add Charles Howery? Ok, here's a list of possible matches, now verify for each one that my guy is not on the list. It would be a pain for my Scandinavian ancestors, or other people with common names, but an extremely helpful thing to do for many others. I imagine it cuts down greatly on the collective pain of people thoughtlessly adding duplicates.

8/26/2012 at 1:14 AM

I have asked it for a long time. People should not be able to add profiles already added. It makes a mess with wrong connections and a hughes amount of merges who s"steel time" from others cleaning up!. And those adding a huges amount of duplicates do believe that it is the curators job to do that and even worse - they believe it is a curator job because they think we are employers at GENI.

I have severale of those "collaborating" to me, warning them doing so and ask them to read the GENI policy we accepted when we joind GENI.

It says that we should not duplicate and if we join the BIG Tree we do have to cooperate and merge our trees together. I have often reported theese people to GENI and before I got respons, but now I get no respons. No respons - EVEN though I show to the fact that those who duplicat also disconnect my or others profiles before they add their own profile that they merge up to being maine manager.
Some merge the eldest profile into those again, but many do not that eigther!

One person I have asked more than 4 times to stop showing to the roules(same families duplicated again and again and merged). The person is well supplied to the roules since he has joined public discussions about roules and sabotages at Danish nobilities!

Even though he answerd me that he do not intend to read the roules at GENI and would remain adding duplicates not taking orders from employd GENI workers!

Another thing. It should not stay that a person add a profile when they have asked for management that is being accepted! It should be standing added as a manager/accepted as a manager.

And those who take over managements it should stay transferd management! Than we might stop some of the misunderstood complaines! I have severale complaints at a person who ask me for managements witch I accept because the person add information and pictures at the profile. People says that person make duplicates, but I have checked before acception and found none duplicate (might be some with different spelling witch I have not found) and just after my acception i have found that the person just added that profile. An uncorrect explonation that make others angry since thay follow the roules.

I mean that all historic profiles should be set MP not locked and by merge the eldest edited profile is the main profile. I believe that will stop people from hijacking. Than people will start to use our tools to ask for management instead!

8/26/2012 at 1:21 AM

By the way It is no use in checking me for the top ten. There are always some disconnocting my relations to the Danish nobillities and therefore my tree is not complete. By now not complete at all - Sabotage and I do have reported the person without any respons! The Saboteur is still working at GENI!

Private User
8/26/2012 at 1:40 AM

Cecilie Nygård report that person for vandalism via the Action link right at the top of his/her prophile and the person is blocked to work in the Geni tree!

8/26/2012 at 1:56 AM

Havedone that I beleav. I try wone more!

8/26/2012 at 6:51 AM

It was not only me that had reported the person, others to. I tried once more today and I also have a week ago sent a help request when I found the saboteur and also before sent a helpticket to find the person who was sabotating in the Danish families.

He was still working at GENI an hour ago!

Private User
8/26/2012 at 7:07 AM

did you report him as VANDALISM ? that is njecessary, else he will not be blocked!

8/26/2012 at 7:56 AM

see my contribution and views about the issue of stealing in: http://www.geni.com/discussions/101489?msg=812621

Private User
8/26/2012 at 1:25 PM

Cecilie Nygård - you say, about "the GENI policy we accepted when we joined GENI." that "It says that we should not duplicate and if we join the BIG Tree we do have to cooperate and merge our trees together." - I cannot find this in the Terms - http://www.geni.com/company/terms_of_use - could you provide me with which (numbered) section it is in and the exact quote, please.

Private User
8/26/2012 at 2:11 PM

I note that WikiTree has 6 levels of privacy, one of which has 3 sublevels - not just the TWO (Public or Private) that Geni has.

"Unlisted" is their most secure/ totally hidden and is the default for those under 13; "Private" is the default for profiles of living people - not just folks closely related to you.

Their most Public - called "Open" - is required only for folks over 200 years old. This would sometimes be sooner than Geni's privacy zone of back to 3rd Great-Grandparent, sometimes later, but is somewhat analogous to it. Only folks who have signed the Honor Code can edit "Open" Profiles.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion