Jesus of Nazareth - Merging public profiles into MPs

Started by Alex Moes on Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
9/18/2012 at 9:44 PM

I did a Geni search of the name Jesus Christ (quite entertaining results!), sprinkled amongst the results were several public profiles that are clear matches (even if at times the immediate family members are a little... unexpected?).
Should i be merging public profiles into the MP where ever i can as a clean up activity?
Some of them are part of the big tree so could definitely merge easily.
Is there protocol here?
Jesus has already been merged 53 times so i don't see an issue from this end but if some of the other profiles are merged in that would make the current managers co-managers of the MP which could cause problems.
Surely this has been discussed before.

PS- i reported the user Jesus Christ as a fake profile, while there probably is a few Jesus Christ's alive and well, the immediate family of this user made it fairly obviously not an innocent coincidence.

9/18/2012 at 9:48 PM

My feeling is that we should always merge in the duplicates that can be merged. One World Tree. The MP can be locked (and probably should be if it isn't already). We can deal with the "unexpected" relationships as they come up.

9/18/2012 at 11:58 PM

I'll do some merging on these now. Mostly some small fragments of trees. "Luckily" most of these duplicates are private, abandoned and not part of the Big-Tree, so there is nothing we can do at present.

Private User
9/19/2012 at 12:29 AM

And Jesus is alive according to the profile ;-)

9/19/2012 at 12:35 AM

Haven't you heard the Good News yet Bjørn?

9/19/2012 at 4:58 AM

I would refrain from merging obviously fake/joke trees if they are still unconnected and can be easily deleted. I'd just report them as fake.

9/19/2012 at 6:05 AM

You will find duplicates for the Prophet Muhammed as well. It makes it hard to find these profiles because if you put Mohammed in, you won't get the master profile. GENI needs to be programmed to use some fuzzy logic. Thats another reason that duplicates are put in because if you have one letter that is not like the profile you might assume there is no profile for the person you are seeking because you can not find it.

9/19/2012 at 6:34 AM

The Gospel Jesus' Wife---evidence emerges of possible marriage . . .
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/18/the-gospel-of-jesus-wife-_...

9/19/2012 at 9:00 AM

It's not evidence of a marriage, but rather evidence that certain people in a certain location well after his death believed he was married. Important historical distinction.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion