Krakow Family - Queries

Started by Private User on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 441 posts
Private User
10/16/2012 at 6:20 PM

This is the new discussion thread for ALL QUERIES AND COMMENTS relating the Jewish Families of Krakow.

The individual family discussions will be discontinued. Posts that need to be retained for reference will be added to this thread.

To make it simpler for Hatte Anne Blejer and Private User to respond to you, do remember to write the family name at the top of your post.

When you have completed a family, add COMPLETED alongside the name of the ancestor on the project's list of names.

Thank you everyone for your valuable contribution to this project. Your response has been fantastic.

Private User
10/16/2012 at 6:46 PM

@Mike Stangel

I am wondering if it is at all possible for this discussion to get tagged with a 'yellow posty' to differentiate it from the masses of other discussions.

In the few days since its launch the project has attracted great support from its members. Some users may not be familiar with discussions and it would be much appreciated if we could tag this one, the 'Krakow Family - Queries' for easy recognition.

Selected posts from the 20 + individual family discussions will be copied to this discussion, and the redundant threads then deleted. Dedicating a discussion per family has become unwieldy - there are hundreds of families to be collated into the project.

I am aware that this may be an unusual request Mike. It seems to be an unusual situation where this project appears to be a winner.

Hopefully you can wave your magic wand and come up with a solution.

10/16/2012 at 6:49 PM

Pam we don't have such a feature.. it would be up to Michelle Elena Kempner to spec out a feature like that, but honestly I think its application would be pretty chaotic.

10/16/2012 at 7:42 PM

I think what you are asking for is similar to something that happens in discussions on forums. There is not an easy way to do this right now.

But I would like to say that I have completed entering the Meisels.

10/16/2012 at 8:08 PM

Yay for Meisels! Too bad about sticky posts.

Private User
10/16/2012 at 8:52 PM

Well done Michelle Good job on Meisels!

No sticky posts........unfortunate.

Private User
10/17/2012 at 5:55 AM

We may have to rethink and find another point of difference for the completed trees.

See Randy's message:

http://www.geni.com/discussions/113983?msg=824636

10/17/2012 at 7:30 AM

I don't agree with him because once we have hyperlinks for most of the families, it will WAY harder telling bold from italics :) I think we should stick with this approach for now. We'll remove completed when the project is far along. At that point we can mark the few that are not completed :)

10/17/2012 at 8:05 AM

But I do agree that COMPLETED will be "ugly" which is why we'll remove it once we're done.

10/17/2012 at 1:56 PM

Since there was some overlap with the Ries tree I will start on that.

10/17/2012 at 1:57 PM

Great, I'm starting again on Drucker shortly.

10/17/2012 at 2:52 PM

GOLDSCHNEIDER

They intermarried with Drucker so I am also adding one of the Goldschneider families - Abraham Goldschneider and descendants.

There is another distinct Goldschneider family, as I have indicated in the project narrative list, which will need to be entered by someone.

Private User
10/17/2012 at 7:46 PM

I am well into both PETZENBERG and JAKOBSOHN, plus have done a few 'tops' in case any of the members would like to work on a tree yet don't know how to find a starting point.

Randy,
It is our understanding that completed would be removed when we were well into the project. I tried a test yesterday with quite a few hyperlinks, some in Italics alternating with others in bold. A real mix. Too hard to read, for me anyway. And as more families are completed, will get even harder to distinguish between the fonts.

Michelle,
You are doing wonderful work. Don't stop!

10/17/2012 at 8:17 PM

DEICHES

This family seems to be mostly entered due to a number of Geni users. I just invited one of them Kirsten Elizabeth Rose to join the project. I believe that Shiri Dori-Hacohen and Elyse Vahjen (Deutscher) also manage Deiches profiles. There is another manager also, who I will invite to the project, as soon as I find her again. We have some unmerged duplicates which we'll work on merging and at some point I will go through the entire tree adding the Hirschberg link and adding them to the project and verifying that the tree is complete.

10/17/2012 at 8:17 PM

Szyman (Simon) Deyches is the tree-top ancestor.

10/17/2012 at 8:22 PM

Deborah Sharon Friedman Private User are also managers of Szyman (Simon) Deyches.

10/17/2012 at 10:10 PM

GOLDSCHNEIDER - I have finished Abraham Goldschneider's descendants. There is still another Goldschneider family for someone to enter.

SCHERER - This family exists already. Abraham Scherer is the tree top. They need to be added to the project and checked for completeness by someone. There are a number of other, distinct Scherer families in Hirschberg. I don't know if they have been entered into Geni.

Private User
10/17/2012 at 11:06 PM

Hatte, how do you work so quickly... I only managed 36 names and details on one family last night.

Maybe we have to do what Randy does, and enter them quickly without sources and go back to do that later. Your thoughts ?

10/17/2012 at 11:20 PM

For most families I only enter a link to Dan Hirschberg's page on that surname in the About Me.

I did not enter Bazes, Deiches, Scherer, etc. I just linked to their trees since they intermarried with my families, and added them to the project. And for many of them I added the source, but not for all yet.

I'm still only done with Abraham Goldschneider tree (and I linked to some existing trees even there) and Kalwary, and almost done with Drucker.

Private User
10/18/2012 at 5:48 AM

Jakob DEICHES b. 1859 Krakow, died in Auschwitz married JAKOBSOHN (Rywka) in the tree on which I am currently working.

I have not searched his tree properly to see if there are more interconnecting Deiches.

Fascinating !

10/18/2012 at 7:54 AM

Okay today the Buchbaum trees will all be merged in, if all goes well. Private User has merged their tree in and is working on it. I'm working with Allen Bennett Haberberg on his tree.

A lot of people are descendants or related by marriage to the Deiches. Possibly Elyse Vahjen (Deutscher)? Certainly the people I listed above.

I did come across a family yesterday where everyone "died after 1940," presumably in the Holocaust so I want to research and add them to the Holocaust projects as well. This is sobering work because you start in the 1700s and see a large and flourishing family, some of whom emigrate to say the U.S. and then you see branches gone. All from one webpage on Hirschberg's site.

10/18/2012 at 9:52 AM

Hatte - Yes, the Deutscher family is related to the Deiches. Again, through my 2nd Great Grandfather, Izaak and his wife Mari Mindel (who was also his 1st cousin) and either their 10 children or Izaaks' brothers and sisters.
You are correct in saying most of this family died in the Holocaust and it is sobering work. I had to take a break from the sadness and check profiles from other family members such as my brother in laws family. They came over on the Mayflower (his great grandfather was the one that fell overboard and was rescued) Good thing, or that would have ended that side of his family.
Both Pam and you are doing wonderful work! I hope you don't run out of steam!

Private User
10/18/2012 at 10:01 AM

I am not so active on Geni right now, but yes I have been involved in Dan Hirschberg's site, 10-15 years ago when it started. The Deiches in "my" tree are well supported by original documents from archives, and are not assumptions or internet-based findings, in case someone wonders over this. Great to see that more are working on this, and other Krakow, family/-ies!

10/18/2012 at 10:18 AM

Elyse Vahjen (Deutscher), your brother-in-law is related to me then, since John Howland (who fell overboard) is about my 9th great grandfather. I have the blessing and the sadness to have the Mayflower ancestors, the Litvak / Polish immigrants to the Midwest in the 1880s and 90s, and those who stayed in Europe and perished.

I believe that the families who I was entering last night who perished were Scherer and Horowitz, related to many of the Krakow families. Their children were ages 3 - 11 as I remember. A tragedy beyond comprehension.

It's good to have you here Private User. I did find one obvious minor error in one of the families -- the parents wedding date was the same as their son's, presumably just an input error. I'm very glad to hear the sourcing behind the Deiches.

We have some discrepancies between personal trees and Dan Hirschberg's data, most of which are minor having to do with the various names people went by or even "garbling" of names of earlier generations. But we have some new information from descendants, which is exciting.

My family was in Krakow about a century before the earliest family in this database and I'm not sure if some stayed or all moved eastward to Grodno and other Lithuanian towns.

10/18/2012 at 12:03 PM

WEINSTOCK - there is one small family who intermarried with the Buchbaums (and others). I have started on this tree and when I finish the Buchbaums, I will finish it since it's not many profiles.

10/18/2012 at 12:10 PM

About GIVEN NAMES: I am putting both given names in the first name field. That is the convention for Yiddish (Hebrew) double names. At least in other Polish and Lithuanian records I have seen from this era you can see one or the other or both names in Revision Lists and other types of documents. For anyone who doesn't know about "kinu'im" -- the double and sometimes triple names our Ashkenazi ancestors used, I have some nice references. In essence, they had a Yiddish (secular name) and they tended to have a Hebrew name that "went with" that name for some reason, such as Judah Leib - Leib means "lion" and the tribe of Yehudah (Judah) had the lion as its symbol. Dov Ber - Ber means "bear" and Dov is "bear" in Hebrew. Animal names were common in medieval German speaking areas where the names were picked up. So Feigel/Feige - "bird". There are lists of kinu'im that you can consult. Another Zvi Hirsch - Hirsch means "hart" and Zvi is "deer/hart". Sometimes there were three names such as "Judah Aryeh Leib" -- Aryeh being "lion" in Hebrew.

10/18/2012 at 2:03 PM

FELDMAN and KOHANE - Allen Bennett Haberberg also has these families in his tree. Talk with me before you work on them, so we don't duplicate what he has already. I am doing merges and converting private to public for deceased profiles of those who appear in Hirschberg's site.

Private User
10/18/2012 at 4:53 PM

I am also starting on NEUBERGER - connects with JAKOBSOHN.
Its a relatively small tree.

10/18/2012 at 7:11 PM

BUCHBAUM is completed. At least all the family members that are on Dan Hirschberg's site are entered. And there are additional family members that were missing from that site, as well as additional information. I've made all profiles on Hirschberg's site "public" here on Geni. My rule of thumb has been if they are deceased and listed in Families of Krakow, or if they are deceased and died many years ago (some of the children in the Holocaust), we want to have them be public and visible to the other families of Krakow, to their relatives.

Please add your relatives to the appropriate Holocaust projects. I started searching the Yad vaShem database for some of the Buchbaum descendants. Many perished and we should remember them in our related projects.

There are still a few mergers and data conflicts outstanding which I may need to clean up after. Thank you to all the descendants and relatives! Especially Allen Bennett Haberberg and Private User. Please let me know if there are errors or additional work to be done.

10/19/2012 at 4:44 PM

Pam Hattie,

How do you remove a profile from a project? I added Selig Mirisch to the Aleppo Project by mistake.

Thanks.

Showing 1-30 of 441 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion