• Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
Private User
10/18/2012 at 9:37 AM

http://www.huguenot.netnation.com/Cross_of_Languedoc/Spring2002.pdf

I am heavily involved in the South Carolina Huguenot projects and slightly involved in the Virginia project. I don't have time right now to work on Ireland. I came across the above-linked article and knew it would be useful when someone was ready to work on the Irish Huguenots. I'm posting the link here so that it does not get lost.

10/18/2012 at 9:46 AM

Very cool. One thing that has been a burning question in our family is Pettigrew / Petticrew. We know that they were French originally and we know that the Pettigrews were in Scotland and it is believed that the Petticrews came either from Scotland or from Northern Ireland. We know now that the two families are related closely based on DNA.

Interestingly when William Pettigrew married the daughter of Rev. Gibert, it was "marrying out" for her, although presumably he was a Presbyterian of French origin but the family had been out of France for long enough that their origins were the stuff of legends and he did not speak French like his Huguenot wife.

Private User
10/18/2012 at 9:56 AM

Using the link in the first message of this discussion, you can get to all the editions of the Cross of Languedoc. I'm searching for more of our Abbeville folk, but I have come across other interesting articles in this newsletter from the National Society.

I also sent the link to our new friend Charles Gillette, because that article mentions his ancestor.

Private User
10/18/2012 at 10:00 AM

http://www.huguenot.netnation.com/Cross_of_Languedoc/Spring2003.pdf

Article states that there were 24 Irish Huguenot colonies. Dublin, of course, and Portarlington, second largest colony, and Longford, the home of the LeFroy family who left France for Canterbury and then settled in Ireland. They had a manor named Carriglass.

So, there's three Irish colonies, now we need someone who will find the remaining 21.

Private User
10/19/2012 at 1:32 AM

It is still my plan to start looking in to the huguenots in Ireland, will start to do some research next week and maybe create an Irish huguenot project when I have gathered enough information and huguenots

Private User
10/19/2012 at 1:39 AM

Anne Marie I've added some Irish Huguenot docs to the World Wide Diaspora project and umm I think the Ulster Scots people project as well. There's an Irish Huguenot Society that affiliated with the London and USA / New York one, and an awesome "Huguenot Cemetery of Dublin" site.

Private User
10/19/2012 at 1:52 AM

Thanks Private User I was just looking around in the World Wide Diaspora project, noticed the documentation, looks promising.
I am sure we find enough information to create a project.
Will make a start on this on Monday will take the weekend to gather info and study it a bit first :)

Private User
10/20/2012 at 10:01 AM

I have made a start on the Huguenots from Ireland project
http://www.geni.com/projects/Huguenots-of-Ireland/12955

Private User
10/20/2012 at 10:02 AM

Private User would you be so kind to add the Ireland Huguenot documents to the Irish project too ? Please :)

Private User
10/20/2012 at 10:07 AM

Anne-Marie, thanks so very much for getting this started. I'm still knee-deep in Carolina Huguenots but when I find Irish links, I'll be sure to add them. I joined the project, too, so I can see what news there is.

Private User
10/20/2012 at 10:24 AM

Thanks for joining Maria was just getting a bit lonely there :)

Private User
10/20/2012 at 10:52 AM

Samuel Beckett, Nobel Prize in Literature, 1969 is an Irish Huguenot descendant :)

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion