• Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
11/28/2012 at 11:41 AM

There goes the neighborhood

Michael
11/28/2012 at 4:15 PM

from what i read they were planning on keeping them as separate entities while making 'improvements' to myheritage complete with intact staffing. however, its my observation that what usually happens in situations like this is that within 2 years staff on the site that was bought out (in this case geni) tends to get restructured as it were and people get replaced. For example, when ancestry was first sold, they said staffing would stay the same, then relocated head office. staffing changes followed

Private User
11/28/2012 at 4:22 PM

Well, the e-mail I got said that a few things like adding names to tree beyond the old limit and merging would now be available to free users. So if so, it has to be a good thing.

11/28/2012 at 5:11 PM

I disagree there should be some value for those who have paid. Right?

Private User
1/8/2013 at 10:31 PM

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to transfer my geni tree to my heritage?

Private User
1/8/2013 at 11:20 PM

Ram I would think a GEDCOM export from Geni and uploading the file to MyHeritage should be pretty simple.

Private User
1/9/2013 at 3:57 PM

Yes, I did that when I joined MyHeritage. Just get the GEDCOM and upload it.

1/9/2013 at 5:25 PM

Private User I have yet to see the ability to merge for free users. Still waiting patiently, though. :)

Private User
1/9/2013 at 6:20 PM

@Bradley Jay Anderson: I haven't tried, because I haven't seen anything that I needed to merge since we were supposed to be able to - but somewhere in the thread it said that we can, though we can't see the needed merges! Have you actually tried to do a merge?

Private User
1/9/2013 at 6:22 PM

Bradley Anderson Excuse me -- I said "somewhere in the thread." It wasn't in THIS thread, bur in another discussion.

Private User
1/9/2013 at 6:34 PM

See http://www.geni.com/discussions/115484
For the Basic (ie free) MyHeritage account - max size you can import / have is 250 profiles.

Private User
7/26/2013 at 7:37 AM

Is anyone using the heritage site? I am still on Geni.
Can you comment on it?

7/26/2013 at 5:43 PM

Private User, I'm not building a tree on MyHeritage, but I'm using it through the joint Record Match / Smart Match service, which has been a huge help in my genealogy. I was working on a branch last night where I was able to find newspaper clippings about the person, funeral notices, additional relatives, and more very easily through the MH matching. (For example, the matching automatically served up Thaddeus "Thad" Parsons, Sr.' death notice and funeral notice as soon as I entered his profile onto Geni. Can't beat that.) And I've only just scratched the surface of what's available on the family -- still lots of records to go through and integrate into Geni.

You can see http://www.geni.com/blog/record-matches-and-smart-matches-lead-to-e... for more of my fun finds.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion