MyHeritage -- Snaps Up Geni.com

Started by Peter Rohel on Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 271-300 of 361 posts
Photo_silhouette_f_thumb2
Private User
12/11/2012 at 8:06 PM

The latest e-mail from subscriptions is below. They're not getting it at all...

"Please know that we unfortunately no longer support lifetime subscriptions with Geni being acquired by MyHeritage which is the reason we provided the offer of the 5 year Geni Pro and 5 year MyHeritage data subscriptions. Because you already have your family tree on Geni, we thought that you would get more value out of a data subscription. We are working on integrating MyHeritage's historical records into Geni. In the future, we'll show you historical records that match your Geni profiles and let you add them to Geni as sources very easily.
You may continue working on your family tree with the 5 year Geni Pro or with the Geni Basic, if you choose to receive a refund.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed."

Photo_silhouette_m_thumb2
Michael
12/11/2012 at 8:36 PM

Post deleted by Michael on yesterday at 10:51 AM

Private User
12/11/2012 at 10:08 PM

Private User - You said "While we can no longer honor the lifetime subscriptions we were hoping that our users would be just as happy and excited as us about getting the data subscription. That being said if you are not satisfied then we welcome you to email us at subscriptions@geni.com so we can work with you towards a satisfactory solution"

What happened to "so we can work with you towards a satisfactory solution"?? Here's your money back and you are a Basic Member, OR here's a 5-year Geni-Pro Membership and a Data-Package you have no interest in are clearly neither a "satisfactory solution"!!

Nor does it sound like there is any "work with you" involved!!

Private User
12/11/2012 at 10:13 PM

Michael - are you purposely trying to sabotage the efforts of others, or is there some other reason you keep repeating your pessimistic view? I think we all understand that you do not think it is worth trying, so please do not keep repeating it.

12/11/2012 at 10:31 PM

lois for once i agree with you. michael you are way out of line with the drivel you keep spouting

Private User
yesterday at 4:55 AM

Lois..I got the same dribble from Charles. I have no one "working" with me either. In fact, my latest e-mail has gone unanswered...so much for "work with you".
I have started to copy documents. I have in my e-mail files my original LIFETIME membership contract and it says' nothing about "we are going to change our minds in a year" and says nothing about "we are going to git ya again in another year". It says "LIFETIME".
I am neither "excited or happy" and can't even seem to find the will to sit and work on my tree.

yesterday at 5:11 AM

Private User, Great news to hear you have the original contract! I've heard several saying they wished they'd kept it. I'd like to see it myself. Email me.
Private User & Jason Wills Thank you for saying something I wanted to say! I am thinking it's just an automated reply.

Private User
yesterday at 7:06 AM

Jill...back to private e-mail......coming soon........

yesterday at 7:25 AM

Post removed by Geni Admin on yesterday at 2:09 PM

Private User
yesterday at 7:33 AM

As recently as last year, Geni [indirectly] defined Lifetime = approximately 25 years.

I bought my l lifetime account when Geni was advertising it as follows:

Choose Membership:
* 1 year for $59.40 (only $4.95/month)
* 2 years for $95.04 Save 20% (only $3.96/month)
* 5 years for $148.50 Save 50% (only $2.48/month)
* $299 lifetime Save 80%

If $299 represents an 80% savings over the regular (at that time) membership rate of $4.95 per month, then that means 99 cents per month for 302 months, or 25.2 years.

See http://www.geni.com/discussions/91823?msg=686017

yesterday at 7:34 AM

Post deleted by Finn Østergaard on yesterday at 7:36 AM

yesterday at 7:41 AM

It is with wonder that I read on this forum that my lifetime subscription of Geni is disappearing. I have not received any information from the Geni team!
I wish of course to keep my lifetime subscription membership by Geni, and sees no problem in it since the two companies will continue to operate separately.
I do not want to get money back, but continue to use Geni as I have paid for lifetime.

Honestly. What are you doing, is this legally??. I doubt.

Private User
yesterday at 7:50 AM

Andrew.....it can rest after "it's colder than blue blazes here in Wisconsin this morning".
At least I had a small but "non-fruitful" with Charles. He has failed to answer my latest e-mail and that was 2 days ago!
I remember my screaming when Geni started charging for the site. Looking at their pictures, I doubt the people I dealt with then (a year ago) are still there. I couldn't get paid enough to take the abuse they are dealing with right now from subscribers.
I had saved my e-mail and it has DATES on it......dates that are specific and stretch probably beyond my years. I was hoping that "Lifetime" meant I could leave my tree for a family member to continue....or at least view.
I'm not sure I have the strength to initiate the action as I just got out of 4 1/2 years of litigation on another subject (which I won!). You have no idea what 4 1/2 years of emotional litigation can do to you....days and weeks and months of sleepless nights.
I have started to copy documents and highlight important entries.
I think the important thing is I have a document with DATES...not just the term "lifetime".
I'm having 30 for Christmas Eve dinner.....I have stuff to do..a home to clean, a tree to decorate, groceries to buy (and it double coupon day)..til later!

Private User
yesterday at 7:53 AM

David...hold on to that document......especially if it defines lifetime as being 25 years.
I found a document sent to my e-mail with EXACT Dates.....
You paid $299 a year ago? I paid $417 a year ago!

Private User
yesterday at 8:14 AM

Just for clarification, actually converted to a lifetime Pro account in mid 2011.

yesterday at 8:18 AM

Yep, mine was $417 a little over a year ago, too.

yesterday at 8:28 AM

Ah, that 'splains it.

Private User
yesterday at 8:48 AM

just a thought as I go past my computer...gonna fix grout in a bathroom..*sigh*..things I don't have to do!!

I have not logged onto MyHeritage......do they have any communication about all of this on their website? Is the head of MyHeritage(whoever he is) making any public comments? Do they have a discussion site similar to this one?

yesterday at 9:08 AM

The guy who runs MyHeritage, his name is Gilad Japhet, and he's from Tel Aviv, Israel. (Unfortunately too far away from me to TP his house or set dog doo alight on his porch). ;) I'm sure if he made any public comments they would harmonize with all these songs we keep hearing about how great this merger is...

I have not browsed MyHeritage except to try their document search out (which I found to be quite inferior to Ancestry.com's search, BTW). I have been careful not to activate the account supposedly set up for me there by Geni, because I do not want that to be construed as my accepting their offer.

yesterday at 9:11 AM

If some of you think that I am not being of much help in this reprehensible situation we are all involved in, including all other non-lifetime subscribers who shouldn't be trusting anything from Geni or HM, please be patient (we are in the middle of our most important and busiest times of any holiday season of the year) and, more importantly, as an attorney I feel that I am in a very awkward position, especially in discussing and revealing additional legal information (including strategical information) for various reasons that should be obvious to all.

In short, I think that it's best for all of us to reserve this thread for the purpose of putting pressure on Geni to reconsider our demand for the honoring of all lifetime subscriptions.

Also, as others have suggested, keep working on your trees as usual, transfer and store all of your trees elsewhere -- we supposedly have 5 years to do it but I sincerely wouldn't trust them, so start now and do it as fast as possible.

Finally, Happy Holidays to all and rest assured that I will have many answers to your various questions sometime during the new year.

yesterday at 9:14 AM

If some of you think that I am not being of much help in this reprehensible situation we are all involved in, including all other non-lifetime subscribers who shouldn't be trusting anything from Geni or HM, please be patient (we are in the middle of our most important and busiest times of any holiday season of the year) and, more importantly, as an attorney I feel that I am in a very awkward position, especially in discussing and revealing additional legal information (including strategical information) for various reasons that should be obvious to all.

In short, I think that it's best for all of us to reserve this thread for the purpose of putting pressure on Geni to reconsider our demand for the honoring of all lifetime subscriptions.

Also, as others have suggested, keep working on your trees as usual, transfer and store all of your trees elsewhere -- we supposedly have 5 years to do it but I sincerely wouldn't trust them, so start now and do it as fast as possible.

Finally, Happy Holidays to all and rest assured that I will have many answers to your various questions sometime during the new year.

yesterday at 9:18 AM

I was translating for MyHeritage until now. I said to my contact person there exactly the same as here and told to forward it to corresponding people who need to see it. Lets see what kind of reply there will be...or not.

yesterday at 9:28 AM

Good for you, Jaak Tulp. I look forward to hearing anything you might get back from that.

yesterday at 9:29 AM

And thanks, Enrique Treat Gleason-Aguiluz, Esq.. It gives me hope that our options are being looked into!!!

yesterday at 9:31 AM

If I could just get ahold of twenty-five million dollars or Euros (whatever) I would purchase Geni back from HM and I would honor all lifetime subscriptions. In addition, I would be as generous to all other subscribers. I would most probably convert Geni to a non-profit or member-owned for the true benefit of all.

Private User
yesterday at 9:40 AM

Cousin Enrique......patience is the word of the day.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and YOURS! (Or is that MINE?..as we are related?)
My favorite quote..."I'm so confused!"

yesterday at 9:52 AM

Cousin Private User Keep up the good work you are doing! And yes, PATIENCE is the word of the day! But, at the same time, all of must continue to express our dissatisfaction with Geni/HM and continue to press for our benefit of the bargain! Happy Holidays!

Private User
yesterday at 10:00 AM

I would encourage all to go the make some noise on their facebook page.
I just posted a picture that they will take down shortly. They take down most of what I post......

yesterday at 10:11 AM

Perhaps I'm somewhat paranoid but I think Geni is trying to sabotage this thread or even some of our private communications. I've notice some weird technical type problems with my profile, especially my connection to my followers and to those following me.

A encourage all of you to keep and record any weird problems that you may encounter.

Private User
yesterday at 10:13 AM

Post deleted by Private User on yesterday at 10:14 AM

Showing 271-300 of 361 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion