MyHeritage -- Snaps Up Geni.com

Started by Peter Rohel on Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 781-789 of 789 posts
Private User
5/7/2013 at 10:37 AM

Private User - re: "I am finding the "screaming in your face" analogy a little OTT for cute little well behaved icons to be honest." -

1] it took me a while to decipher OTT - am I correct that it means "over the top"? if not, what does it mean. I am still quite unlearned it this lingo.

2] I was not referring to the icons, but to the Full-Page Ad -- As I say above, I am quite unlearned in this lingo. I have seen folks explain that writing in capitals is "shouting", and analogously it made sense to me to refer to full-page ad that totally takes over your screen, complete with large type and etc. (as opposed to ads to side or etc such as on my e-mail account) as "screaming in your face" - what volume term do you feel is more correct?

3] As for what you call "cute little well behaved icons" - well, cute is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. To me, not cute. Also, they are not always "well behaved" - sometimes they bobble, sometimes they sit still. I am one of those folks who finds 'busy' distracting and not pleasant.

Private User
5/7/2013 at 10:39 AM

Justin - nope, no familiarity with "The Genealogical Helper".

Private User
5/7/2013 at 10:59 AM

1) yes, OTT means "over the top." I try & resist jargon & slang but I was "triggered" by GIGO (garbage in, garbage out).:):)

2) when you say "full page ad" you mean the "pay wall" graphic when you try a function you haven't paid for? For instance, I am not logged into MyHeritage on my phone, so when I follow a SmartMatch from Geni on that platform, I get an ad to buy MH.

Graphically - standard & low key IMO (in my opinion).

Now to back up my opinion - I worked for the ad agency that "invented" direct response advertising. All the creative ways to nag at consumers and get their attention to buy the product. All those mailers full of cards and coupons and come - ons? You can blame us. All those late night infomercials repeating an 800 number? You can blame us.

Those ads were OTT. An Internet "standard" (actually lower key) "pay wall" ad marketing a service that costs quite a lot to offer? Not OTT in any ad agency manual these days. Sorry, it's an area I do have some (aging) knowledge of.

Private User
5/7/2013 at 11:17 AM

3) yes, of course graphics are in the eye of the beholder. But there is a science to it as well as an art.

Again I disclose my "special knowledge." I have an eyesight impairment that affects my field of vision; it's why I have found iPad to be my most comfortable computing platform.

Anything that "bounces in" or "pops in" (there's a subtle use of animatics in the Geni SmartMatch icons) could, if poorly done, induce actual physical pain and double vision for me. So I think I'm about as good a "tester" on this as can be found, for one person, anyway.

I find these remarkably well done. The designers got the timing of the animation exactly right if it accommodates my disability of "slow muscle reaction.".

If I were really, really tweaking (fine tuning someone else's design, which I wouldn't do!) - my suggestion might be, in tree view, for the "blue dots" to be a smidgeon smaller & a few pixels higher placed. But that is such a minute critique; it may not be the right suggestion; I am not a Flash software designer and I'm not even sure it's doable.

The utility of the service on offer is what matters most to me. Its almost unimportant that I do happen to like this design.

5/7/2013 at 11:50 AM

Lois, The Genealogical Helper was the main tool for connecting American genealogists until the Internet killed it. It started in 1947, and continued through (I think) 2009.

It was a quarterly magazine. It had some articles, but the real draw was the classified ads. If you were looking for information about an ancestor, you placed an ad, and hopefully everyone who was working on that family responded.

I think I started my subscription about 1967 (when I was 12!). It was a huge deal for me when it arrived. I would spend hours pouring through the ads looking for anyone who was working on my lines. I would answer the ads that interested me and for months after I would get huge envelopes from other genealogists stuffed with photocopies.

There were no computers in those days, so I would hand type new Family Group Sheets and Pedigree Charts (blank forms available by mail order from Everton Publishers in Logan, Utah -- the same folks that published The Genealogical Helper).

Through ads in The Genealogical Helper I first connected with the older generation of genealogists, all those people who were working in the 1920s, 30s and 40s who had become *the* expert on certain lines. They helped me connect my lines to theirs, and in some cases I ultimately inherited their files.

I think I put my first ad as a professional genealogist in 1982. That one ad kept me in business for years, as I networked out from referrals. In fact, a couple of my clients today chain back to that ad.

Nowadays, of course, most genealogists are much newer to the field. Some of them came in after the Roots miniseries in 1976, and even more started only after Ancestry.com and the Internet. When you meet someone who remembers The Genealogical Helper, you're talking to an old-time, hard-core genealogist ;)

5/7/2013 at 11:55 AM

Justin Swanström

That sounds pretty cool... are old copies available online anywhere that you know of? I cvould Google it of course lol

Thanks!

5/7/2013 at 12:19 PM

I think Ancestry.com includes the old issues in one of their databases. Somewhere recently I saw another site that also had an online index, but I can't remember now what it was.

Private User
5/7/2013 at 12:47 PM
5/7/2013 at 1:05 PM

Oooo. I see an ad for a Commodore 64. Long time since I had one of those.

Showing 781-789 of 789 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion