Started by Peter Rohel on Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 91-120 of 228 posts
12/3/2012 at 9:22 PM

I meant LDS, not LSD lol

Private User
12/3/2012 at 9:24 PM

Mormons on acid? That would be a trip ... :):)

12/3/2012 at 9:57 PM

Wendy m Erica, that is definitely a trip..........................kik....

BTW There was a button on Geni for bookmark. Where is it now? Thanks.

12/3/2012 at 10:23 PM

Erica,
The strength of Geni is it's collaborative nature, i rely on "your part" of the tree being accurately built by you just as you rely on "my part" of the tree being accurately built by me.
As i mentioned earlier i have relatives who left Geni purely because of the Basic 100 profile limit, they are now building trees on MH. The quality of their trees on MH will be no different to "their part" of the Big Tree here on Geni.
Why should i spend "a couple of hours" to check and manually enter that info from MH here into Geni when it could be transferred in an eye blink?

I have a free MH account and looked at those MH trees but despite always having had the ability to cut and paste the info across i've never felt so inclined to spend my limited free time doing so.

PS: no match notifications have yet come thru for profiles that i manage which coincide with profiles on MH. I assume that service hasn't started yet but i'm curious how it will work if/when it does kick in.

Private User
12/3/2012 at 10:38 PM

Alex you are one impatient young fellow! The Sharpie ink is not even dry on the contracts.:):)

I will be blunt. Data TREE interchange will take quite a long time. Embrace the copy & paste.

RECORD match will be much easier to implement and that's just a "stay tuned" away.

Private User
12/3/2012 at 10:40 PM

"Transferred in an eye blink?" Do you have any idea what "transferred in an eye blink" resulted in for Geni? I'm still "slaying zooombies" two years later.

Private User
12/3/2012 at 10:42 PM

Cecil

Somewhere in the document function there's a "try our document bookmarklet" lab. I don't think it works for discussions. I would use a browser bookmark or bookmark service or discussion search, which works decently. And of course "following" a discussion, which is automatic for those you've posted in and can "unfollow" as need be.

12/3/2012 at 11:44 PM

The transfers didnt create the zombies, lazy importers created them.

As for the wet ink, these things take months (if not years) to come to fruition just because they only just told us about it this week doesn't mean they haven't had time to plan anything.

Private User
12/3/2012 at 11:52 PM

Incorrect about zombies Alex. There was a bug in the GEDCOM upload which resulted in profiles without dates being set to living and private instead of deceased and public.

Volunteers developed a script; Geni enhanced it and tested it; it blew up servers; and eventually when it was tweaked enough and tested enough by the president of the company at the time, personally, was entrusted to a few people at a time to use.

There are in addition new "zombies" being created daily by mistake when a) users don't realize they are setting a profile to private b) they don't realize they are setting a profile to living instead of deceased.

Alex with all due respect - here I have lived what I'm talking about when you have not. If it were so easy it would have been done. Things that are easy are implemented very rapidly in Geni. If it takes time, it's because - guess what - it takes time.

Private User
12/3/2012 at 11:56 PM

I refer you to:

http://www.geni.com/discussions/76010?msg=600151

Notice the date stamp:

5/28/2010 at 2:37 PM

And ... we have not gotten all the zombies "laid to rest" yet.

12/4/2012 at 1:03 PM

Erica,

Thanks for your reply. I was referring to a bookmark for profiles. I remember that there was a tag on the top right side of the screen.

Private User
12/4/2012 at 2:22 PM

Not that I've ever seen for within the Geni application. Sorry!

12/4/2012 at 4:59 PM

Respectfully Erica,
Regardless of this bug affecting the uploads if individual users uploading gedcoms took the time to check through all of the profiles that their upload created then would not that have resolved the Private and Living profiles to their correct status thus avoiding the need for zombie tools and curators entirely?

12/4/2012 at 5:06 PM

Post deleted by Wendi Newman on Dec 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM

12/4/2012 at 5:06 PM

Alex Moes - - Curators do FAR MORE than just kill zombies. They are an extremely valuable and important part of Geni imho.

12/4/2012 at 5:48 PM

That's true Wendi, i was referring back to the curator's original purpose (as described by Erica in previous discussions) rather than the broad role they now play.

Private User
12/4/2012 at 6:05 PM

1) killing zombies was not the original purpose of the curators: it's simply a task along the way needed to execute the vision of a single integrated documented historic world family tree (insert commas as needed).

2) what part of the word BUG is unclear ? :):)

Private User
12/4/2012 at 6:29 PM

3) I haven't even begun to talk about the absolute nightmare it took to weave together 800 copies of Charlesmagne among others.

So the bottom line is - wait for the technology to be in place. "Trusting" that pristine unduplicated error free GEDCOM files can be properly uploaded by members is a foolish trust indeed. I wouldn't trust myself to do it properly & I know what I'm doing.

12/4/2012 at 11:33 PM

I know what a "bug" is Erica, do you know what a "strawman" is?

Private User
12/4/2012 at 11:55 PM

I know I'm not a straw man and I hope you're not, either. If someone has a question, cannot they ask for themselves? I do answer as myself and not a mouthpiece.

12/5/2012 at 2:58 AM

Alex, I do think GEDCOM upload would be much safer if the user had to click on each individual profile to signify "this is a new profile that I believe isn't on the world tree yet" before adding it.
Anything that allows an user to add 1000 things without doing 1000 actions is going to cause reduplication - unfortunately, the reason people want gedcoms is that they want the ability to do exactly that.

Private User
12/5/2012 at 7:01 AM

Private User & Alex Moes Thanks for the replies. Erica, I looked at your example and I am aware of Geni's policy ..... I had however checked out quite a few instances of pro and basic users complaining about files being private. When I have gone to the profile of the user's who complained I have found they are private with no access to there tree. So why would someone copmplain if others were doing the same. Most of the private files I have found can be worked aound anyway tree or no tree.
I guess my privacy default will be two or three generations out as I don't see a need for users searching below that. In the future I will ignore the standalone and private profile complaints and consider them aimed at profiles over 3 generations out. So with the onset of MH I will not have to be making any changes to my tree (nice).

Thanks ... Dave

12/5/2012 at 7:34 AM

Harald, I hope Geni adopts your suggestion of importing one-by-one, and not en masse. I'm anxious for gedcom uploads to be re-instated, but in every case I've looked at in my database it would be very difficult to create exactly the right gedcom without massive duplication. Other users might have a different experience.

Private User
12/5/2012 at 9:38 AM

Dave

I pretty much agree with you. :)

Photo_silhouette_f_thumb2
Private User
12/5/2012 at 7:53 PM

Erica - re: 2) Basic members were able to accept merges initiated by their collaborators / family group members. Now they can also initiate them. - No, not actually so, but --- If a PRO requested a merge on two Public Profiles he was a collaborator on, it went thru without any acceptance needed by any manager or collaborator or etc, even if one was in a separate tree (if in Big Tree, collaboration not even needed). If a PRO requested a merge on two profiles in a Family Group he was a member of, it went thru without any acceptance needed by manager or other family group member. And similarly if PRO was a collaborator of one Public Profile (or it was on Big Tree) and Family Group Member of a Private Profile - he could merge these without any approval needed from anyone else. (The Basic Member was not accepting these merges, they were simply being implemented without his approval or acceptance.)

12/5/2012 at 8:42 PM

Harald,
I agree with you completely that it should be more onerous for people making the upload rather than letting any old crap be uploaded and then left to the rest of Geni's users to clean up.
All i am advocating is a way to "copy" a profile from MH to Geni without having to copy and paste every individual data field of that profile manually.

Private User
12/5/2012 at 8:48 PM

Lois I'm less interested in the past than the present & future.:).

Private User
12/5/2012 at 8:49 PM

Alex I agree that there "should" be tools to minimize the manual data entry duplication efforts. But the tools are not in place. So in the meantime - CTRL C & CTRL V are your friends. :)

12/5/2012 at 9:04 PM

I'd be all for a way to import individual entries from Ancesty.com

12/5/2012 at 9:41 PM

And google place names is my enemy :(

Showing 91-120 of 228 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion