John Lane - Two John Lane's born April 8, 1609 ?

Started by Dan Cornett on Friday, December 21, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 16 posts
12/21/2012 at 12:07 PM

Spouses and children are distinctly different ... brothers? ... one has incorrect parents? ... result of bad merges?

See: [[Col. John Lane]] vs. [[John Lane, of New Haven Colony]]

Private User
12/21/2012 at 1:03 PM

You need to get these profiles sourced - including the impossibility of being born 1609 in New Haven CT with the name John Lane.

7/21/2013 at 3:46 AM

I have just posted the following note on the profile, and then saw that there is a discussion dating back to the end of last year, with no conclusion. How can we resolve this, as I am a newcomer to Geni :

There seem to be 2 x John Lanes which need to be merged, namely :

Col. John Lane...

John Lane, of New Haven Colony...

Many thanks for your help

Sincerely,

7/22/2013 at 12:56 PM

Hi, Sally

Welcome to Geni!

There are several problems to resolve with these two John Lanes (who both are connected to the same parents with the same birth date).

1) They have different spouses and different children; it's not clear that this is one person with 3 spouses. The timeline of the Col. John Lane (who's ID ends in 071928) is rather reasonable with respect to the birth dates of two of his children with Athalia Lane. It is noted in the 'About' of the "other" John Lane that there are conflicts in birth locations (England vs. New Haven, CT). This (071928) John Land has one child who is a "Sir", so maybe his was born and lived in England.

2) Some of the children of the John Lane, of New Haven Colony (who's ID ends in 001868) are impossible to be this person's children (or the other's, for that matter, because the both currently have the same birth dates!). This is the John who as a widower married the widow Mary Campe in Connecticut in the Americas.

3) The 'About' on the profiles for the parents seems to indicate that their son John was born in England and may have stayed there ... but that is not explicitly known. Erica raises the issue of no John Lane being born in New Haven, CT in 1609.

So, some additional sleuthing is required to document answers to such questions as:

a) where do the children under the 'Americas' John Lane (001868) belong that could not be his?

b) Is the birth date correct for the John Lane ( 071928) who was born to the English parents as the older brother of Jane Fisher (who has some notoriety in history)? And did he stay in England or emmigrate to America?

c) Is anything *really* known about the birth date range for the John Lane (001868) who married 2nd Mary Campe (Mary Camp (Canfield))? Or is first wife? Is this indeed the same as the other John Lane and his first wife was Athalia Lane? That depends on whether Jane Fisher's older brother stayed in England or emmigrated to America.

d) If they really are different people, who are the correct parents (if known) of the John Lane of Connecticut (Mary Campe's 2nd husband)?

Private User
7/22/2013 at 1:42 PM

Sally may be new to Geni but clearly she's a good historian - she already gave me a "key" by pointing out the heroic Jane (Lane) Fisher, who was assisted in saving the life of Charles ll by her brother, Col. John Lane.

Pepys had more to say about him as one source

Charles II's Escape from Worcester] edited by Samuel Pepys, William Matthews. Page 171. "Col. Thomas Lane (1609-1667) of Bentley, Staffs., Anglican, Royalist, declined peerage ... Married Athalia Anson."

(added to profile overview with google book link that also mentions more members of the family)

There is no way this family are parents to a Puritan colonist. I would cut the parent connection to John Lane, of New Haven Colony

Private User
7/22/2013 at 2:03 PM

Birth date, place, and parents are unknown for Thomas Lane of New Haven. The date of 1609 may be someone's estimate based on age of children (which look pretty correct to me, as do the wives -there may be some cleanup needed)

Here's a note that includes a name of first wife, not sure if correct:

JOHN LANE (16__- Sept. 10, 1669)
came from Wethersfield to Milford in or before 1640 with his wife Kattareen (?) who died before 1662, for in that year he married Mrs. Mary (_____) Camp (16__-1669), of New Haven, by whom he probably had no children. His daughter Katareen (163_-167_) married Nov. 8, 1653, John Tuttle (1631-1683) of New Haven; their descendants are recorded in the Tuttle Family Book. His son Isaac removed to Middletown.

Source
# http://dunhamwilcox.net/ct/new_haven4.htm HISTORY of
THE COLONY OF NEW HAVEN To its absorption into CONNECTICUT. by Edward E. Atwater, 1902

7/22/2013 at 2:49 PM

I've given that first wife the name of Katareen, noting both Katherine and Sarah as alternative names (Sarah is given in a Rootsweb reference for the 1st wife of this New Haven John Lane): http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=msche...

Private User
7/22/2013 at 2:58 PM

The name of Sarah Lane for the 1st name seems to be sourced from Abbrev: Families of Early Milford CT
Title: Abbott, Susan Woodruff (compiler), Families of Early Milford Connecticut (Baltimore, Genealogical Pub. Co., 1979
Page: p. 400 for name Sarah

Note: Abbott indicated Sarah Lane was admitted to the First Church of Milford, CT per their records 27 June 1641.

Whereas the Katteren (?) given name seems to be Atwater (1902), perhaps a genealogical guess based on children's name patterns?

Torrey & Jacobus used the Sarah name it looks like.

Private User
7/22/2013 at 3:01 PM

Or he could have had 3 wives - Katteren, Sarah & the widow Mary Campe ...

7/22/2013 at 3:04 PM

Ahhh... looking for that John Tuttle-1631, I found a Geni tree that has Catherine Lane with father John Lane, mother Sarah J Lane ... that father John had a seriously wrong birthdate, but I found the Milford, CT dates and location in the Revisions, so it seems consistent with the surrounding tree ...
so
Unless Ashley has an objection, I think the proper thing to do is to merge John Lane with John Lane, of New Haven Colony. (That first John does have parents, but NOT the same as the parents of the famous Jane Lane.)

7/22/2013 at 3:07 PM

.... just need to be sure the merged spouse (Sarah / Catherine/Katharine/Kattereen) as all the alternative names in the a.k.a.

7/22/2013 at 3:10 PM

Wait, how in the world did one of "my" Lanes get mixed up with the New Haven ones? My MP was for the John Lane of Dorchester. So before we go doing any additional merges, let's undo the bad merging that must have happened. I'm on my tablet at the moment but will look at this later.

7/22/2013 at 3:18 PM

To be clear, the John Lane MP is definitely the child of William Lane and Agnes Farnsworth of Dorchester. It's just showing bad Milford information, I'm assuming through a bad merge. So the real solution here is to restore that MP and stick a curator note on it stressing that he's from a different Lane family, not merge it into the New Haven family. I should be able to get to this in a few hours.

7/22/2013 at 3:20 PM

Yeah, well, if that is your John Lane of Dorchester, born 1648, then he clearly got merged incorrectly into the middle of a tree with a daughter born 1631.

Maybe the current children (some of them?) of Ashley's John Lane of Dorchester need to be moved to the John Lane of New Haven (because of the Tuttle connection that daughter Catherine-b.1631).

7/22/2013 at 3:23 PM

You may want to lock the birth year & location, too.

Check on that John-of-Dorchester's spouse and children, too, so we can sort those out from the ones connected to the New Haven Lane's and Tuttle's.

7/23/2013 at 12:06 PM

This is wonderful. So pleased it is being sorted out. Well done.
Sally

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion