• Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 66 posts
Private User
1/15/2013 at 5:49 AM

[Copied from http://www.geni.com/discussions/96833?msg=715157&page=2]

I would like to export the blood relative GEDCOM of my daughter, so that I can get all of her mother's and my blood relatives in a single GEDCOM. I have let my PRO subscription lapse, so this option is not available on her profile for me (under the Actions menu).

A simple solution would be to log into her profile and generate a GEDCOM from there, but she is under 13 and therefore cannot create a Geni login.

Any ideas on if/how I can generate a single tree from my own child?

Private User
1/16/2013 at 11:19 AM

I changed her birthdate (still feel like this should not be necessary) and then invited her. Now awaiting invitation in email (twiddles thumbs).

Private User
1/16/2013 at 9:34 PM

Well, even after changing her birthdate (so that she was 13), I tried to invite her at three different email addresses. Emails never arrived. Something is odd...

1/17/2013 at 3:35 PM

Private User since you're the person who added her, you should have had an "Export GEDCOM" link on the Actions pull-down menu on her profile. Did you try that?

Private User
1/18/2013 at 5:15 AM

Yes, I did add her. But no, there isn't a link there.

I have "Send a Gift," "Remove from Family Group," "Manager Options," "Merge this Profile," "View Nearby Merge Issues," and "Report."

Her ID is 4027931730510074185. Given that I never got an email when I invited her... I wonder if something strange is going on with her profile. Should I delete and re-add it?

Private User
1/18/2013 at 5:19 AM

Michael Stangel By "something strange" I just mean some odd database inconsistency.

Private User
1/18/2013 at 6:05 AM

Michael Stangel, - the "Export GEDCOM" link on the Actions pull-down menu seem to be missing at the moment.
Obviously an error since the updated Help section tells that it still should be possible.

http://help.geni.com/entries/466639-how-can-i-export-my-gedcom

Private User
1/18/2013 at 7:34 AM

Export to GEDCOM from a specific profile seems to have been removed from the possible actions. I just checked by great-grandfather's profile, to which I just got manager permissions. Screen shot available upon request.

Private User
1/18/2013 at 10:43 AM

Michael Stangel, something fundamentally is wrong if you only have the Export GEDCOM option available on profiles you are listed as "Added By" on.

This means that only ONE of 790 managers of Charlemagne (i.e have added him as a profile) is allowed to export a GEDCOM of his line. As you know only ONE person can be listed as Added By, and for these old profiles it is usually an inactive account.

I am not even allowed to generate a GEDCOM of my own father even if I am the primary manager, but not listed as Added By.

Private User
1/18/2013 at 11:59 AM

Private User, Private User and Michael Stangel: Thanks! Any help would be appreciated. I thought I was losing my mind.

1/18/2013 at 12:33 PM

I dug into this and I see that it's caused by our long-standing restriction that only Pro users can export GEDCOMs on profiles other than their own. I've asked the product team whether that restriction should still apply in light of the new "added by" restriction. I'm waiting to hear back.

Private User
1/18/2013 at 12:40 PM

Well, I'm a Pro, for what it's worth.

1/18/2013 at 1:06 PM

David could it be the "Added by me" restriction that's preventing you from exporting on your great-grandfather's profile?

Private User
1/18/2013 at 1:57 PM

Mike,- the "Added by me" restriction must be an error or very bad decision.

In the Charlemagne example there are 790 people who technically have added that profile, but only one are allowed to export his GEDCOM.

There is absolutely no words about that restriction in the help section which was recently updated.

http://help.geni.com/entries/466639-how-can-i-export-my-gedcom

Private User
1/18/2013 at 1:59 PM

The GEDCOM option is available to me on my profile but not on my father or mother.

1/18/2013 at 2:35 PM

I sure hope - GEDCOM export is NOT based on "Added by" - as that would REALLY encourage users just Adding Names - and No other information.

My mother was Not added by me & neither were 1000's of profiles I ecouraged others to Migrate from my genealogy site. many only added the names - and i've been filling in the details during the past 2 years.

As others have stated - "Added by me" restriction - would be a Really Bad idea !!

Private User
1/19/2013 at 9:27 AM

If I'm not mistaken, then
1) non-Pro users cannot export GEDCOM for any profiles other than their own
2) Pro users can only export GEDCOM for profiles they have Added (for which there is only one user per profile, and in which case the person may well be long gone).

I have tried to invite my daughter, to get around (1). I tried this using three different email addresses. None of them ever arrived. Since I'm no longer PRO (decided to spend this year's genealogy budget on DNA tests), I can't do anything about this, even though I have created/manage 3,000 profiles and have gotten 200 family members on Geni. Sticks in my craw a bit.

Private User
1/19/2013 at 4:24 PM

Rolando's finding that non-Pro users cannot export GEDCOM for any profiles other than their own seems to contrast with:

http://help.geni.com/entries/466639-how-can-i-export-my-gedcom which does not appear to distinguish Pro from non-Pro other than in the max number of profiles that can go in a Gedcom export - Updated: December 6, 2012

http://help.geni.com/entries/22555371-december-6-updated-privacy-pa... posted on December 06, 2012 10:52 which explicitly says "You can now export a GEDCOM on any profile you've added for free"

Private User
1/22/2013 at 6:52 AM

Private User Thanks!

Private User
1/28/2013 at 7:32 AM

Michael Stangel, do you have any further insight on this issue? At the very least I'd love to know why, after I changed my daughter's birthdate, the invitation emails never arrived. I'm just looking for a practical solution to what I see as a simple problem.

Private User
1/28/2013 at 7:50 AM

I changed the birthdate on my other daughter and was able to log in. But after going to the Export GEDCOM page, there was a problem.

http://imgur.com/R8RhJFr

I'm only allowed to export between 1 and 0 profiles. I'm not a mathematician, but that range seems rather limited.

1/28/2013 at 8:01 AM

Private User

Maybe it has something to do with your account SETTINGS.
When you look at Family Group you can choose how big or small your family is in geni. You can choose:
* 4th - 3rd - 2nd or 1st cousins and closer
* immediate family
or even
* (None of your blood relatives) ---why brackets?---
PLUS their current partners

Combined with
* Inlaws out to 1st cousins
* Immediate inlaws
* (No other inlaws)

Please let us know if it makes a difference when you change something, ok? groet, jMVu.

Private User
1/28/2013 at 10:41 AM

--jMVu--
Unfortunately her family group is set to the broadest setting.

1) When I am logged in as myself, I go to my own profile and click on "Actions -> Export GEDCOM". I am given the option to export a GEDCOM of up to 5000 individuals
2) When I am logged in as my daughter, I go to her profile and click on "Actions -> Export GEDCOM". I am given the "option" to export a GEDCOM of up to 0 individuals!

Not sure what the difference is between her account and mine, EXCEPT that (as described above), I created her profile! This would lead me to believe that any non-pro Geni user who did not create their own profile (likely invited by another family member) cannot export a GEDCOM from their own profile.

1/28/2013 at 3:25 PM

Here's what's going on: prior to December, we had a rule that only Pro users could export a GEDCOM centered on someone other than themselves. In December we (in engineering) were instructed to constrain GEDCOM exports to only profiles you've added; what was not made clear is whether this supercedes the previous rule, or adds to it. We added the restriction as instructed, now I'm trying to get clarification from the product team whether we were supposed to remove the Pro restriction at the same time. I haven't heard back yet.

Private User
1/28/2013 at 6:56 PM

Michael Stangel Thanks!

Any idea what the "1 to 0" range means, when I am able to log in as my (other) daughter (Rosa de Aguiar).

Private User
1/28/2013 at 9:30 PM

Rolando

Is it possible that your daughter has added zero profiles?

According to http://help.geni.com/entries/466639-how-can-i-export-my-gedcom

GEDCOM exports are limited to 10x the number of profiles you've added. Basic users may export a maximum of 5000 profiles, Premium users may export a maximum of 100,000 profiles.

10 times zero = zero

Private User
1/29/2013 at 7:10 AM

Private User aha, that's exactly right. I'd misread that, thinking that 5,000 was the number for all Basic users. Reading comprehension: it's fundamental!

Private User
2/7/2013 at 8:59 AM

Any update on this? Still hoping to download a GEDCOM with my daughter as the root node. I spent many hundreds of hours building my wife's family's tree and now can't that data.

Private User
2/8/2013 at 10:50 AM

Michael Stangel Any feedback from the product people yet? Thanks for sticking with this. I will say that a GEDCOM that includes ONLY profiles I've added seems utterly useless. Imagine that I created my children, my wife created her own profile and I created her entire family. What does that FAMC record look like? Is there an INDI pointer but no data?

2/16/2013 at 3:18 AM

Agreed. I would like to know that I am adding the the world tree, and at the same time getting something back from Geni, Otherwise, one sided? Hoping to hear some good news soon!

Showing 1-30 of 66 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion