U.S. Season 4 Details

Started by Ashley on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-87 of 87 posts
7/29/2013 at 7:46 PM

Hatte Blejer I was looking for the obit of Edward Handler, who is the brother of the Seymour whose parents' are Charles and Belle. So far haven't been able to find any of them in the NYT.

7/29/2013 at 8:27 PM

I'm getting nowhere. Looked for obits, marriage certs, and grave sites. Giving me a headache so I'm logging for the night. Sorry to not be more helpful.

7/29/2013 at 8:46 PM

Wendi Newman - you're doing great. There's a clue somewhere, I'm sure. Victar did a great job getting the tree started. We have only a couple of possible families. We just need several sets of eyes on the data to find the right angle of attack.

Thank you and get some rest.

7/30/2013 at 1:46 PM

Thanks Hatte Blejer!!! Just needed a break last night - was over tired. I'm determined ot figure this out now. I even asked my mom if she knows anyone who knows Chelsea H so I could ask her myself (cheating I know, but still!) haha! Will see if i can figure anything out later this evening.

7/30/2013 at 2:55 PM

Two hours until Christina Applegate and we still have nothing on Lavina Applegate Walton. I got this screencap from the preview: http://postimg.org/image/5cvlohdpd/

Let's see if we can scramble?

7/30/2013 at 2:57 PM
7/30/2013 at 3:00 PM

Woo, we're in! Here's the father: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&h=35...

Can someone help?

7/30/2013 at 3:13 PM

Okay, I'm able to grow the tree but need help getting connections in. Start with Lavina Applegate Walton and work up. (If anyone's interested.)

Private User
7/30/2013 at 3:20 PM

Your William Columbus Shaw is a JR (I'm about to upload a passport image). So you can go ahead with a William Shaw SR profile.

Also there's (another?) Ovid Victor Shaw with a messy divorce, see

http://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000021718291006

7/30/2013 at 6:54 PM

Hatte Blejer, in case you missed it: The teaser for next week's episode features Chelsea Handler talking about her grandfather (or maybe great-grandfather?) Karl Stoecker possibly being a Nazi sympathizer. What a wrench that is...

7/30/2013 at 6:57 PM

So basically, the Nazi connection made us all instantly think of her Jewish side...and we forgot that her mother is German. *headdesk*

7/30/2013 at 7:04 PM

Ashley - I had a feeling they were going to "pit" the two sides of the family against one another so to speak... go show her Jewish family here and then show Nazi ties in Germany.

7/30/2013 at 7:06 PM

Ashley i wasn't online much today, but I can help you with Applegate and other trees most likely tomorrow and def on Thurs/Fri. My schedule changes day to day.

7/30/2013 at 9:12 PM

Haha, but I enjoyed looking for her family and I'm sorry that there are so few clues as to which family her father, Seymour, belongs to! Maybe Wendy will make a breakthrough or Victar will.

yesterday at 6:40 AM

Tobias Rachor (C), do you maybe have some suggestions on finding more information on Karl Stoecker? He was apparently involved with the Third Reich in some way. The photo of him gives his name as Stoecker. His mother's surname was Kaminski.

yesterday at 6:56 AM

(Also, it looks like about four months ago, Chelsea Handler's brothers started joining genealogy websites in earnest. They have photos and documents uploaded in a few places, including Ancestry, but they're all set to private. Drats.)

yesterday at 7:44 AM

Well, Chet's full name is either Chest or Charles I am sure. The good news is she isn't the quiet type and she speaks quite a bit about her family in interviews. Unfortunately, she often repeats the same information. I'll watch every interview if I have to to glean clues!

yesterday at 7:44 AM

Oops.... i meant Chester above, not Chest.

yesterday at 7:53 AM

The joy of Mormon converts -- there's a pretty large tree for Elisabeth Stoecker on FamilySearch. Of course, with their new design, I can't figure out how to actually link to it. But I am hesitant to keep adding profiles myself since I'm not up on how our German users are inputting place names.

yesterday at 8:05 AM

Good find! I believe this URL should work, assuming you have a FamilySearch account set up:

https://familysearch.org/tree/#view=tree&person=KWZC-FCZ&sp...

yesterday at 8:19 AM

Thanks, Geoff! It was giving me that same URL on every page in that tree, so I had no clue if it would anchor to the right place or not.

yesterday at 1:00 PM

Looks like I have a third (!) theory to offer regarding the parents of Seymour Handler (the father of Chelsea).

I found an obituary in the Santa Fe New Mexican, January 11, 2006:

Family-therapy counselor Claire Wahaftig of
Pojoaque died Tuesday in the Philadelphia suburb
of Abington, Penn. She was 79.
She had been ill for three or four months and
had gone to Pennsylvania for medical treatment,
according to her husband, psychotherapist
Irving Wahaftig.
The couple moved to Pojoaque 17 years ago
from New Jersey, he said.
In addition to her counseling work, he said,
she was a gardener, a cook and "a splendid
grandmother."
Other survivors include a son, Matt Wahaftig
of New York City; a daughter, Karen Borowsky
of Conshohocken, Penn.; a brother, Seymour
Handler of Livingston, N.J.; and three grandchildren.
Funeral services are scheduled for 1 p.m.
Thursday at Goldsteins Funeral Chapel, 6410 N.
Broad St., Philadelphia. Burial will be in Shalom
Memorial Park.

The key, of course, is the brother, Seymour Handler of Livingston, NJ. As far as I know, this is the first reference we've found which places a Seymour Handler in the city where he is known to reside.

Claire is in the 1940 census in Newark, NJ. Here's the full record:

Source Citation: Year: 1940; Census Place: Newark, Essex, New Jersey; Roll: T627_2427; Page: 61B; Enumeration District: 25-504.

Jack Handler, age 39, born Austria (occupation garage service man)
Yetta (wife), age 35, born Russia
Claire (daughter), age 13, born NJ
Paul (son), age 11, born NJ
Seymour (son), age 8, born NJ

Yetta Handler is in the SSDI. Born 29 Jul 1904, died Oct 1978 in Newark.

Thoughts?

yesterday at 2:07 PM

And... for reasons that are too complicated to explain at the moment, I believe the "seven year-old Yetta" (daughter of Israel Spektor) mentioned here is the same Yetta who married Jack Handler. (Read the "Acknowledgements" section of the book for more info.)

http://books.google.com/books?id=eqnjRKREOhIC&lpg=PA270&ots...

yesterday at 2:13 PM

And... here's an obit from another brother. I've copied the first two paragraphs:

Paul Handler
April 24, 1929 - January 24,1998
Paul Handler, Professor Emeritus of Physics, will be remembered for his seminal contributions to three widely divergent areas of physics-condensed matter physics, physics education, and geophysics.

During his long and distinguished career at the University of illinois (1956-1998), he forged important links between Physics and Electrical Engineering, holding joint appointments in both departments for several years. He was an outstanding solid state experimental physicist, making important contributions to our understanding of the surface physics and optical properties of semiconductors. He participated in the development of the PLATO system for computer-based education, and he pioneered a novel theory of the effect of volcanic aerosols on worldwide climate fluctuations, using data on volcanic activity to improve the technology of American agriculture.

Paul Handler was born in Newark, New Jersey on April 24, 1929, a son of Jacob and Yetta Handler. On July 22, 1952, in New York City, he married Ellen Oppenheimer, who survives. Also surviving are two sons, Ira Handler of Briarcliff, NY, and Harry Heinz Handler of Upper Montclair, NJ; a daughter, Lilly Golden, of Houston, TX; eight grandchildren; a brother, Seymour Handler of Livingston, NJ; and a sister, Claire Warhaftig of Santa Fe, NM.

yesterday at 2:32 PM

That makes total sense Geoffrey Trowbridge!! Seymour also owns a garage or car business of some sort by the name of Avon Garage Corp, so his father being in that industry makes total sense! Great job!

Today at 5:24 AM

And now I think we have the final piece of proof to connect the parents to our Seymour. The 1957 City Directory for Newark, NJ contains the following listing:

Handler, Jacob (Yetta) treas Avon Public Garage Inc. 127 Avon Av, h 25 Treacy Av

Today at 5:42 AM

I think you've probably made Hatte Blejer very happy with your investigative skills, Geoff. :)

Showing 61-87 of 87 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion