In English

Started by Private User on Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 14 posts
Private User
4/2/2013 at 4:35 AM

Here we can post our questions or ideas in English.

Private User
4/2/2013 at 2:21 PM

Thank you for this portal, Karol & collaborators. I have ancestors that emigrated from Galicia to New Orleans, Louisiana.

Private User
4/3/2013 at 12:49 AM

You're welcome! As a matter of fact, part of my ancestors came from different Galician parishes (Dębowiec, Żmigród and Sieniawa). I think now I know a lot about them, but yet it's quite a mystery. :)

4/3/2013 at 9:32 AM

Thanks for the invite. I have ancestors from Stany located in the Podkarpackie Yolvodeship, Poland.

4/11/2013 at 3:24 PM

Kris Fenwick If at all possible, I would like to bridge the language gap. There are about 20 million people who claim Polish ancestry that live outside Poland. Many of them live in English speaking countries. At the same time, there are about 38 million Poles. There are stories and information to share, but it can be difficult when one group does not read or write the other group's language. Relying on Google or Bing can take you only so far. Geni has translated all their forms in Polish. Can any of these forms be modified to use as a basis for communications? Do people have any other ideas?

Private User
4/17/2013 at 10:28 AM

Hello Karol,
Thanks for the invitation. My Polish ancestors are from the Galician region near Husiatyn, just south of Tarnopol. This region is now Ukraine.

Private User
4/18/2013 at 11:04 AM

I am working with Kaszubian Poles who came to the Central United States starting in about 1855.

4/18/2013 at 1:00 PM

Great to see you are back, Larry!

6/2/2013 at 5:40 AM

I have created a project for the Polish side of my family tree and have added to the projects list in the hope that someone will eventually be able to fill the gaps.

6/15/2013 at 12:46 PM

Looking for information on Grandmothers family. She was from Chojnice /Czarniz / Brusy. Her father was Josef Piekarski. Ihave no information other than what I just put down. She was born in 1875 and died in 1953.
Please help
Ray Brunka

7/14/2013 at 9:15 PM

@ Erica Howton
I also have ancestors who emigrated via Galicia.
They are name Wyszynski, and Gorkowska-(Gorecka). Gułaszewska, Uszynski. Any familiar names?

Private User
7/15/2013 at 2:54 AM

Not to me, but listing the surnames you know is very helpful to anyone researching (also geographic areas in both Europe & Americas). I've found connections later on from posts like yours.

7/30/2013 at 3:08 PM

Very much interested in Bernatowicz, Lisowski, Łatak, and Pilecki families from what was eastern Poland (within present Belarus and Lithuania).

Particular brick walls I'm running into are:

Kazimierz Łatak (probably born 1820-1860 range)

Adam Pilecki (probably born 1840-1880 range, likely while his parents were exiled to the Barnaul region of Siberia following the January Uprising of 1863-1864)

Józef Bernatowicz (probably born 1820-1860, had a son also named Józef Bernatowicz, lived near Oszmany in the wojwodstwo wilenskie)

Władysława Lisowska, who married the younger Józef Bernatowicz above, born in 1925 in the same region (supposedly descended from a szlachta family).

Most of these will probably come from the countryside near Wilno (today's Vilnius in present Lithuania, previously part of Poland). Despite present day geography, the descendants of these people consider themselves of Polish ancestry.

Any help, resources, suggestions, would be definitely appreciated. -Ben.

7/30/2013 at 3:11 PM

My mistake on Wladyslawa - 1925 is her death date. We don't have her birth date, though it's probably in the 1860-1885 range.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion