Sir Arthur Champernon MP - WILLIAM CHAPMAN 1540

Started by Barbara Newport on Monday, May 27, 2013

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
5/27/2013 at 11:22 AM

If William Chapman is Arthur's son, why does he have a different surname? His mother was Mary Norreys, but she had him before either of her marriages.

My question is:- who is the father of William Chapman 1540?

5/27/2013 at 2:43 PM

Probably just bad genealogy. Get a curator to cut him from these parents.

7/28/2013 at 10:23 PM

could he have been adopted, or related there are other chapman's on the tree

Private User
7/28/2013 at 11:19 PM

Hi John

It's great you're researching this, I hope you assist in working on the tree?

I've cut the parent connection, I dont think it's correct, and would just obscure building a better tree.

This what I see so far:

http://familypedia.wikia.com/wiki/Descendants_of_Captain_Benjamin_C..., Wikipiedia, & Findagrave quotes Burke's here:

"Chapman's father, William, and uncle, John, had been supported by their maternal first cousin, Sir Walter Raleigh, who helped them procure land grants in the County Kerry. Due to financial troubles and their patron Raleigh's death in 1618, they were forced to sell the land to Richard Boyle, 1st Earl of Cork, for £26,400. Benjamin was William's only son."

http://books.google.com/books?id=Cq8KAAAAYAAJ&vq=Chapman&pg...

A General and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of ..., Volume 1 By John Burke, page 228

So the father of John & William was not known to Burke, but there is a connection to Sir Walter Ralegh's family.

7/29/2013 at 2:13 PM

i just started to poke around with this just out of curiosity, always thought family was from England, was a bit suprized to see Ireland,

Private User
7/29/2013 at 2:47 PM

John I'm thinking there are a couple of Chapman families. The "Irish" family actually originates in Leicestershire, but the Jamestown VA family originated in London. Can you link the Geni profile for the "oldest ancestor you know?" I'm trying some cleanup & sourcing.

Private User
7/29/2013 at 9:10 PM

Barbara Newport & John Chapman

I need some help here (other opinions helpful too)

I have no idea how to reflect parents on this Geni profile:

John Chapman

Links / sources referenced within the profile "overview"

One of the links has the reference to an EARLIER "Arthur Champernowne, ca mid 1500's" - perhaps why the link this discussion started with.

There are a lot of Chapman's!

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion