Change Title of Project

Started by Nick Block on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Participants:

Showing all 9 posts
7/11/2013 at 12:21 PM

I suggest "Jewish Cities in Ukraine"

7/11/2013 at 12:37 PM

Maybe you want a bigger title, like "The Pale of Settlement"?

7/11/2013 at 12:44 PM

No, I like the idea of keeping this project limited to Ukraine (similar to the other regional Jewish projects listed at the Jewish Portal project site).

I also think "cities" is misleading. I see under Belarus at the Jewish Portal, that they use the word "communities": "Jewish Communities in Ukraine"?

7/11/2013 at 7:24 PM

I agree that cities is misleading. My ancestors and my husband's ancestors lived in smaller towns mostly. I like "Jewish Communities in Ukraine".

Who initiated the project? I'll check and check with them and if there's no objection or they are no longer involved, I will change the name.

7/14/2013 at 9:48 PM

Oscar and I have renamed the project more or less along your suggestions.

We should really have an umbrella project for Ukraine and also have reference to the administrative districts during the Russian Empire since that is what determined where they could travel and who they could marry at the time when the majority of Jews lived in Ukraine prior to the diaspora of 1880 - 1920. Meaning Volhynia, Kherson, etc.

Private User
7/15/2013 at 6:37 PM

The project name was changed, so that no one is offended by their nationality.

I hope no one is offended by the existence of Jews in the region long before the existence of countries in Europe.

7/16/2013 at 6:25 AM

Private User - My Jewish ancestors lived in Poland (formerly Lithuania), Lithuania, and the Ukraine. In Lithuania in the towns they lived in, the population was 40 - 75% Jewish. That includes Vilnius that at one point was 40% Jewish population. 3 millions Jews emigrated from the Russian Empire between 1880 - 1920. There are more Litvak Jews overseas than Lithuanians in Lithuania. Lithuania has already recognized that the Jewish people were a significant part of Lithuanian history. I don't know as much about Ukraine yet.

7/16/2013 at 8:42 PM

Hatte,
In terms of an umbrella project for (Jewish) Ukraine, I think this could be it.

I really like the idea of having individual sites for the various administrative districts. Partially because I just started one for Volhynia:
Jewish Families of Volhynia (Wolin) Gubernia
http://www.geni.com/projects/Jewish-Families-of-Volhynia-Wolin-Gube...

Taking Randy's suggestion to beef up the Jewish Genealogy Portal, I've been collecting the Jewish Ukraine projects that I've found and putting the links on the Portal. We could also put these links on this project's main page.

Please start the projects for the other administrative districts (like you, I'm not an expert on Ukraine--yet :).

--Nick

7/16/2013 at 8:49 PM

I've added the link to this newly renamed project at the Jewish Genealogy Portal. For any new projects, let's try to keep that page updated also.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion