Technical web page assist - validating URLs?

Started by Dan Cornett on Monday, July 15, 2013

Participants:

Showing all 5 posts
7/15/2013 at 5:55 AM

When a project (or a profile) page has a lot of links (URLs) to other places, particularly to off-Geni sites, those URLs might get 'stale'. That is, the remote site may have changed it's structure a bit and the Geni-stored link may no longer point to a valid (external) Web page.

Does anyone know of a simple-to-use tool that will scan the "currently-viewed" page and check each link found on the page to be sure it points to a "valid" place?

I know the definition of 'valid' is a little nebulous, but at the very least it should be able to flag simple "not found" errors (e.g.: where the parent site is valid, but the particular page is no longer where it was).

7/15/2013 at 12:50 PM

Dan,

I think the W3C link Checker might be helpful for what you are trying to do:

http://validator.w3.org/checklink

d

Private User
7/15/2013 at 3:27 PM

This is one of the reasons I prefer to have Geni create a Document from the link, rather than (just) putting the link in the About Section -- at least then, you and others can see what WAS there,even if the link /URL no longer works.

7/16/2013 at 2:34 AM

Thanks for the 'pointer', Donald!

Private User
7/16/2013 at 11:55 AM

If only it were less time consuming to upload documents Lois! :(

I tend to "alias" a URL citation for this reason (plus being easier to read). Even if the link shifts pages, the name the page may not change, and often its easy to find the new "live" link once you have the name.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion