Alpaïs, daughter of Charlemagne & Amaltrude - Smerged locked profiles! Alpais d.o. Charlemagne with Alpaida d.o. Louis I

Started by Sharon Doubell on Thursday, July 18, 2013
Showing all 12 posts
7/18/2013 at 7:03 AM

I have noticed this before and just been too busy to fix it yet again - but now I've also been contacted by users querying it, so I'd like to make a note here that this profile has obviously been smerged against the Curator Note & lock that read:
"This Alpaida is a daughter of Louis I & Amaltrude, please do NOT merge her with a daughter of Charlemagne. (See About Me for discussion on Count Begue's 3 possible wives) Locked because prone to mis-merges. Contact me if you want to merge/add to it."

We know it must have been smerged because her profile name actually reads: 'Alpaïs, daughter of Charlemagne & Amaltrude' (to prevent exactly what has happened anyway) & she is positioned according to that in the tree.

Further, Louis I no longer has a wife called Amaltrude at all.

Someone may be in the middle of a move-around due to new research info or big-picture decisions about Chuckie's tree (eg about Louis' partner, Amaltrude), but in an area of such high traffic (Chuckie being half the world's grandpa) it is inadvisable to do this without logging in a Discussion what changes are being made and why, so that others can follow what you're doing/did if there's a mistake.

We even set up a project expressly for this purpose: http://www.geni.com/projects/Charlemagne-Emperor-of-the-West/1550 - not because our version is set in stone, but because this part of the tree has so many ambiguous areas that unless we all let everyone else know what we're doing, the line becomes a smudge in no time at all.

Please let me know if there was a plan behind this smudge. eg It might be that there is new info proving there wasn't an Amaltrude partner of Louis - so they 'should' be one profile. Then we can update the template and try to lock in the changes.
At the moment though, it's hard to figure out if this is an intentional plan or an accidental error (happens to everyone), so it's difficult to work out what 'fix' is appropriate.

7/18/2013 at 7:10 AM

I noticed this day before yesterday, but assumed you were doing something. I did several merges based on her name and existing relationship to Charlemagne -- despite the contents of the curator note.

7/18/2013 at 7:32 AM

I think it's likely that it's just time for another house-keeping sweep on this line, Justin. We seem, to my mind, to be having to do too many Duplicate Merge-Ins at the mo, but I'm reluctant to say anything until the Add Manager option is back up and running.

At the moment I'm back on the Herodean (Saulus/Paulus and Josephus in particular) so I don't want to do a major clean-up here right this minute. I also have a feeling this smerge might still be a leftover part of something George J. Homs was trying to do with the Count Beggo ambiguity, so his input on whether he'd decided to eradicate Louisi's partner and daughter would be useful before we proceed.

7/18/2013 at 7:33 AM
7/18/2013 at 7:48 AM

Thanks cuzzin Bill, they're definately the same - I'm just trying to figure out if Wendy Bruce is trying to build a separate tree. I don't think so as it's merged in lower down.

7/18/2013 at 2:42 PM

Has anyone calculated approximately how many probable descendants Chuckie actually has?

7/18/2013 at 2:42 PM

Has anyone calculated approximately how many probable descendants Chuckie actually has?

7/18/2013 at 2:43 PM

Sorry for repeat ...IPad, grrrr

7/18/2013 at 11:39 PM

Pamela - if you go onto his profile there are a couple of links to articles that might have done.

Private User
7/19/2013 at 2:54 AM

Sharon I do not want to go there as it seems du Plessis and you know how "heilig" I am about them.
I just wanted to say I love your new profile pic.

7/21/2013 at 10:52 AM

Thanks Sharon!

Private User
7/22/2013 at 3:47 AM

Thanks Sharon - ag nee, julle maak my skoon deurmekaar/deurmekruis.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion