Children's Profile Pics showing up in Google

Started by Gillean Guy on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Participants:

Showing all 4 posts
7/18/2013 at 7:25 AM

Hi,
Can you explain why when you state Children under 13 are protected by your privacy automatically, yet I see my childnre's pics appearing in Google searches when I search for myself, which I do occassionally?

I've looked through all the info in settings and it all appears to be "private", so I'm a little upset that this has happened with my children's images.
Please advise.

Regards,
Gillean

7/18/2013 at 1:06 PM

Hi Gillean

Please send a email to misconduct@geni.com with links to the pics you found of your children so we can see what happened and have them removed.

Thanks
The Geni Team

Private User
7/19/2013 at 10:15 AM

Customer Service - I think you are misunderstanding - she is not asking you to delete the photos from Geni, nor saying that there was any misconduct involved in their having been uploaded - I think she is asking why are they being shown to folks other than her own family members.

Gillean - 1] did you remember to LOG OUT of Geni before searching for yourself? If not, you are spooking yourself unnecessarily.
2] Also - are you aware of http://www.geni.com/account_settings/managed_profiles - with the option to unclick "Profile Photo" in deciding for Profiles you manage: "What is visible on their search profile?"

7/20/2013 at 7:13 AM

This BUG is reported to Geni many times. If there is any public or claimed profile in this near relatives group then Google robots are able to index all photo thumbnails in Near Relatives module of the profile page. Its indexing also includes minor children, claimed profiles with increased privacy settings and private unclaimed profiles.
Especially easy will be find them using Google Pictures search + "Firstname Lastname" site:geni.com - then all these thumbnails will be listed...
Private User - these options will not hide these thumbnails from Google, but depending from these privacy settings (of the managers) you will be able to open bigger picture via these results or not (usually never for minor children).

Customer Service !!!

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion