Duplicate work

Started by June Barnes on Saturday, July 20, 2013

Participants:

Showing all 20 posts
7/20/2013 at 9:01 AM

I can't help feeling that we are duplicating work here - the Founders and Origins project is/has much the same information. Do we just continue with both projects or do we try to combine them?

7/20/2013 at 9:02 AM
7/20/2013 at 12:48 PM

It appears the same to me and I guess we should rather combine them

7/20/2013 at 1:34 PM

How do we go about doing that? A project cannot be deleted once there are collaborators and followers - which is the case on both.

The only way I can see it being done is to move information from one to the other manually - editing duplicated material and deleting from the other project. Then when it is all on one or the other and one has no information then we have to ask all collaborators to remove themselves and delete the project. I am not sure that I have the stomach for it right now!!

7/20/2013 at 9:25 PM

The other possibility is that we have this one in Afrikaans and the other in English?

7/21/2013 at 1:48 AM

Private User what do you think?

Private User
7/21/2013 at 2:02 AM

I think we noticed it last night. It happened with the churches and towns project. June I think it was a guy called Parow?
It is the naming of the projects that are the problems. When I look for a certain project it gives me the answer there is no such project - mainly South Africa - and would I like to start one.
Sharon I don't know what to do. I agree with June but the churches, towns and cities of SA is not the same as others.
I think a lot of people would love to have Afrikaans only projects but I think it is rude to English speaking people that can't read and write Afrikaans.Maybe if it is the same in all aspects that is fine.
Lets see what and where it is and tell each other and then move those that are "presies" the same to the other.
But I feel the same as June at the moment I am happily keeping myself busy with SA dominees, churches and towns and cities. Unfortuntely about 15 Scottish reverends were brought over and that is where the mix up begins.
O my gonna tog.
Love you all.

7/21/2013 at 2:19 AM

I think we should combine them. I agree that separate language projects are both rude and unnecessary, and also are likely to develop separately - which means we don't get the benefit of additions without having to go to two projects. I prefer to have translations in one project.

Didn't we develop the List of SA Projects we have on the Welkom Cuzzins Landing Page, for the very reason of avoiding duplication?

Not sure how the Scottish reverends create a mix-up, tho, Judi. Many Afrikaans-English family marriages happen - the Botha Smuts connection that I descend directly from is a case in point. The Scottish Presbyterian church appealed to these groups, I think.

I was also wondering where to put my Irish grandpa who was a Methodist reverend, on the project - and then decided that perhaps he was too modern.

7/21/2013 at 3:47 AM

I don't like the mixed languages in a project. I think that using the original project is probably best as it has more profiles linked to it and generally is more developed. I also don't see any point in adding information that is duplicated on a link to an external webpage - pet hate of mine unless done in "quotes" - so maybe the information on the 2nd project needs to be transferred to the old project and I can rename that South African Towns and Cities - inc. Founders and Origins while we do the change and then use a sub heading with the inc. part of it?

7/21/2013 at 3:53 AM

I have done that change but it is up to you to decide - Judi you were the 2nd Collaborator on that project!!!

7/21/2013 at 4:17 AM

June, in SA it is now the norm to have mixed languages in public texts, so we are all used to it. My daughter's graduation ceremony from an English University was done in 4 languages, and we all sing our national anthem in 4 languages too - English is the last one, funny enough.

For the rest, I agree that using the more developed project makes the most sense, but 'm happy with whatever you guys decide as neither is my project - just yell if you guys need any help with the work of transferring.

7/21/2013 at 5:16 AM

Fine - I don't have the time right now to do the transfer - fingers in many pies!

Private User
7/22/2013 at 3:45 AM

Sharon you must please but your Presbeterian oupa there. You will see in the dominee's I have already put Jan's cousin Floris Meyer under George NG Church where he is still.

Take the year and put it there until we discover when the original he preached were build/founded.

June take your fingers out of the pies. People wan't to eat it. LOL.
Die Afrikaanse niggie.

Private User
7/22/2013 at 4:22 AM

I agree.. Lets combine them...

7/22/2013 at 6:36 AM

Judi suggested that the easiest thing to do is change the newer project to be about Schools and places - which will save having to try and delete the
project.

7/22/2013 at 6:37 AM
7/22/2013 at 7:42 AM

great

7/22/2013 at 11:03 PM

We still have 2 projects overlapping - surely the "towns and cities" is covered in South African Towns and Cities - inc. Founders and Origins? Should it not be Monuments, Schools and Historic places of South Africa - maybe schools should not be included and have a project of their own as they don't really have much in common with Monuments and Historic places. Perhaps 2 projects 1- "South African Schools and Universities" and 2 South African Monuments and Historic places" with the third "South African Towns and Cities - inc. Founders and Origins" ?? Nice clean categories?

Private User
7/22/2013 at 11:40 PM

I vote for the nice clean categories. The simplest and most defined title will encourage contribution.. I hope...

7/23/2013 at 1:30 AM

Sounds great. Just please find a way to list them all on the Welkom Cuzzin page - so that we don't duplicate again :-)

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion