Think About It

Started by Fay Baldwin on Monday, July 22, 2013

Participants:

Showing all 3 posts
7/22/2013 at 4:15 AM

This discussion has been started to help those who have encountered some seeming inconsistencies in information while researching...PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ANY "HINTS" TO THE LIST.

I will start with 2 examples:

1.) Cover sheets v original census/birth/death certificates: Some people have noticed that a name is incorrectly stated on the cover sheet found at familysearch.....some of this may well be a result of the unfamiliarity with "old-fashioned cursive" writing..

This may help some:

http://justsomethingimade.com/2009/02/old-school-cursive/

an L can be read as an S or F....etc.

2.) Headstones: When we are born until the one year anniversary we are considered 'x' number of years old (i.e. we use 6 months, 9 months etc) but we are "in our first year"......so the day after our birthday celebration we would be "in our 2nd year".....as opposed to 'starting the clock when we reach the birthday.

We have COMPLETED one year, not STARTED it..(the range from 12 months to 24 months is now-a-days stated as their being aged 1...when they have passed their first 12 months and are in their 2nd 12 months) .

This confuses a lot of people who see: "in their 53rd year" and count back 53 years, when they should actually go back 54 years from the date of death..(since the person had finished 53 years of life and was started into the 54th year of existence).

7/22/2013 at 3:21 PM

2.) Go back 52 years....in their 53rd year when they died 1854= 1854 minus 52= born 1802.

7/22/2013 at 3:36 PM

I thought I just wasn't awake yet!

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion