I can read private messages of people who follow me on my homepage!!!

Started by Jean Hageman on Monday, July 22, 2013

Participants:

Showing all 11 posts
7/22/2013 at 7:40 PM

I was just looking at the activity on my homepage, and noticed there was a line item that said 'X send Y a personal message.' Right after that was the COMPLETE message!! I feel like I'm in a NSA spy center!! This is really scary!!

7/22/2013 at 7:49 PM

The most likely explanation is that both X and Y are members of your extended family group.

If anyone at the NSA is reading private messages on Geni.com ... well i hope they get a lot of stress leave!

7/22/2013 at 11:25 PM
7/25/2013 at 7:11 PM

Have we figured out what's going on with this yet? Michael Stangel, is it a known issue? I've never seen messages between family members before and can't imagine how that would be an intended feature.

7/25/2013 at 7:34 PM

Maybe your family members aren't very conversational?
I see them all the time on my notice board, it's the main way i notice if a new relative joins Geni. Although it may be a combination of Family Member and also a person that i am Following?

7/25/2013 at 8:07 PM

Alex, the report the user is making above is that they're seeing the entire text of private messages. That is what needs to be looked into, not the standard notifications of someone joining, someone posting a public guestbook message, etc.

7/25/2013 at 8:34 PM

Alex, Ashley is right. I was able to read the entire message between the person who was following me, and the other person--it was all there on my home page. This is the first and only time I've seen anything about private messages betwen different users.....

7/25/2013 at 10:04 PM

Ah!
I don't even recall ever seeing "X sends Y a personal message." let alone the message itself in full.
Has it happened again since the first time?

7/26/2013 at 10:43 AM

I haven't seen it again, but I've been going through a lot of Smart Matches so that' what is showing on my homepage.

7/26/2013 at 3:46 PM

Jean Hageman we took a look at your newsfeed. What you were seeing is not a private message but a guestbook post by someone you follow that mentions a private message.

7/26/2013 at 5:10 PM

Okay, that makes more sense.......

Thanks.....

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion