New Contractor Name

Started by Missy Hermes on Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Participants:

Showing all 24 posts
7/1/2014 at 9:24 AM

I work for the Otter Tail County Historical Society in Fergus Falls and today we found an article from the 25 Sept 1942 paper that may interest this group. A Mrs. T.L. Clark had received a letter dated May 30, 1942 from her brother Elmer C. Peterson, a civilian contractor, stating that he was in Shanghai in prison. Peterson had served in World War I.

7/4/2014 at 12:50 AM

I had an uncle that was a civilian contractor on Wake Island, was taken captive by the Japanese and eventually died in Camp 18 in Sasebo, Japan on April 8, 1943 four days after his 40th birthday, leaving a young wife and young son. He helped build SOTO DAM, a dam that was completed in 1944 and still furnishes Sasebo City with drinking water today. I was fortunate to visit that same area in May 2013 to attend the annual Memorial Day ceremony honoring those civilians and Japanese slaves that perished while building the dam, the only thing that still stands today is the dam itself. There were 265 civilians from Wake Island alone that was imprisoned at Camp 18 aka "HELL CAMP" There are only two known survivors from that camp today, one from California, and another from Hawaii. I will be seeing the one from California who is 94 now in September at our annual Wake Island Fall Fling here in Boise, Idaho, he and his children and grandaugher were in Japan with me in 2013. It was first ever trip out of the US and overseas and the first trip back to Japan for my friend since he was liberated back in 1945.

7/4/2014 at 4:01 AM

If either of these are on Geni, please put them in the project or send me links to them. If not, please send me the info.

Private User
7/4/2014 at 6:05 AM

Thank you for this memorable story about your uncle. I know it's hard to fathom the cruelty inflicted on the prisoners who were actually slaves.
My father is Archie Hays Pratt. He was one of the 98 left on the island to be killed by the enemy.
Thank you again for letting us know about your family.

Private User
7/4/2014 at 6:14 AM

Molly
You → Art Pratt
your father → Sumner William Pratt
his father → Frances E Dyer
his mother → Jane Susannah Mitchell
her mother → Susannah White Sutter
her mother →Susannah White Fullerton
her mother → Stephen Fullerton
her father → Mary Crowell
his mother → John Crowell
her father → Mehitable Crowell (Miller)
his mother → Rev. John Miller
her father →John "Long" Miller
his father → Martin Miller
his brother → Anne Miller
his daughter → George Miller
her son → Margaret - Mary Elizabeth Miller
his daughter → Sarah Stallion
her daughter → Sarah Edgecomb
her daughter→ Isaiah Bolles
her son → Joseph Bolles
his son → Isaiah Bolles
his son → Reuben Turner Bolles
his son → Minerva Jane Bolles
his daughter → Samuel A Brown
her son →Elizabeth "Lizzie" Kelly
his daughter → Lois Carolina Kelly
her daughter → Eldon Clark (C)
her son

Private User
7/4/2014 at 6:16 AM

who would have known? Our family, "WYGANT" on mamas side is from Los Angeles. Many are still in Southern Ca. today The Pratts are from Minnesota, and Walla Walla Wa.

7/4/2014 at 7:57 AM

Private User Do you mind if I make some corrections to your dad's profile? He was not killed in combat He was one of the 98 captured and then later massacred by the Japanese. he is buried in the Punchbowl . Bonita Gilbert has written books about wake and is one of the few civilians who has access to the island. She is doing research with the government and would like to have a DNA sample from you.If you are willing,I will give her your information. Also you might want to leave a message at http://www.dogberrypatch.com/archives/morrison-knudsen-wake-island-...

7/4/2014 at 8:02 AM
7/4/2014 at 8:05 AM
7/4/2014 at 9:11 AM

I found Bonnie's email. Contact her about DNA kit bonita.gilbert@gmail.com

Private User
7/4/2014 at 2:23 PM

Bonnie contacted us ( my two brothers and I) we gave them a sample of D N A. We have not heard about the results. It's been a year, so I imagine the bones are not my dads.
Thank you Eldon

7/4/2014 at 3:49 PM

OK, do you want me to work on your dad's profile?

7/5/2014 at 1:25 AM

My uncle Orval Allen Kelso lay buried in a very shallow grave for about six years on a hill above SOTO DAM until claimed by his only child Walter Richard (Dick) Kelso now deceased since 1989 and buried him in The Punchbowl on December 8, 1949, in 2007 he was given the Navy rank of E4, then in 2011,I received the Purple Heart for him. A couple of years ago the Department of Veteran's Affairs replaced his original gravestone with a new one with his Navy rank and Purple Heart noted on it, and at the bottom of the stone, the motto of the POW MIA, "YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN"

7/5/2014 at 6:32 AM

Barry, I added the him yesterday but did not have the relocation story so I will add it now, Thanks

Private User
7/5/2014 at 6:54 AM

Eldon, I know my dad was one of the 98 we have always known it. I don't know who put him as killed in action. That is very wrong, he was a P.O W along with the 98 with him. I don't know what profile you're talking about. If it's on genie I posted he was one of the 98 murdered by the japanese on Oct. 1943.If there's another site I don't know about, please let me see it, and I don't mind you correcting that one. Geni is correct.

Private User
7/5/2014 at 7:08 AM

I looked at his profile, some distant relative put in some erroneous thing about him. I don't know how she was able to do that.. Is there a way I am able to keep people from putting the wrong thing on Geni that I have written?

7/6/2014 at 2:00 AM

The civilian cemetery above SOTO Dam was across the dam an up a hill or so I have been told that, there are only two living survivors out of 265 left from Camp 18 in Sasebo, Japan. That camp lost about 54 men, one winter they supposedly lost 31. My uncle as I was told many years ago almost made the 98, but was traded with someone else. Each deceased had a very cheap casket built with straw in it for the body to lay upon, and then carried across the dam by their own people and laid in a very shallow grave. There are printed layouts of where each person was laid to rest. I actually witnessed a little pocket new testament that belonged to the chaplain of Camp 18, and inside both covers were the names of each deceased and where they were buried on that hill. I believe that most of those deceased are buried at The Punchbowl.

7/6/2014 at 7:51 AM

Private User Short answer, no. In this case, I know her and she was trying to help me but did not have her facts complete. It was easy to correct.

Barry C. Kelso I believe you are correct about The Punchbowl

7/6/2014 at 8:07 AM

The remains of the 98 are in Honolulu for DNA testing, that alone may take several years to ID them. I have ben waiting on the ID of the remains of James Redmond Wilper, his nephew, Honorable Ronald Wilper and myself have been longtime childhood friends.
Also Etta Wells, my grandfather's first wife and mother to Dessal, Wilbert, Marie, Orval, Maxine and Edison remarried a man that I believe was a Carpenter, had one child and both Etta and husband are buried in Norfolk, Nebraska I do believe. Somewhere in my collections, I have a photo copy of their headstone. I don't believe that Etta ever lived here in Idaho, my grandfather left her and children about 1909 and took off with Wilbert and Orval, leaving Etta pregnant with Edison Lee.

7/6/2014 at 4:32 PM

Missy Hermes, thanks for making the connection to Wake Island POW Elmer Peterson. 1941 employment records show that he was a general laborer from Allendale, North Dakota, born in 6/21/1897. Elmer Carl Peterson made it through the war and was liberated from Tokyo 5B Niigata prison camp in 1945. I wonder where Otter Tail County is and if he returned to ND after the war. I don't believe he stayed in touch with the survivors' group.

Private User
yesterday at 4:49 AM

Bonnie, did they disinter the bodies of the 98 in the punchbowl for d n a testing? If so we didn't know about it.

yesterday at 7:53 AM
Today at 5:18 PM

Hi Molly, no disinternment of the Wake mass grave in Punchbowl cemetery. I remember some recent news about a controversial disinternment of some 12/7/41 Pearl Harbor graves of unidentified bodies at Punchbowl but have not followed it. The only JPAC mission for Wake IDs is for remains found on island in 2011. No positive IDs so far as I know. I have located DNA donors for 67 of the 98 and will wrap up my part in the mission this summer. Families will be contacted directly if there is an ID. Best to you and the Pratt bros!

Today at 5:33 PM

As clarification, the remains being tested are also in Hawaii, as Barry said, but they are in the JPAC central identification lab at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. The mass grave in Punchbowl is untouched. Barry, I found 24 individual graves of Camp 18 deceased in Punchbowl cemetery when I was there in 2011, including the one for your uncle Orval Kelso (prior to the new stone you had commissioned). There are another 7 individual Wake graves.

Showing all 24 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion