Edelstein in Kherson and Tauria gubernia

Started by Vladimir Gurianov on Saturday, July 5, 2014

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
7/5/2014 at 12:30 PM

I got access to the censuses of the Jewish population of the city of Izmail (1836, 1848, 1854 years). From them I learned that in Izmail settled four families with the surname Edelstein. They were all relatives and all were forced to move out of the city Nikolaev. This city was a seaport on the coast of the Azov Sea. In 1829 Jews were ordered to leave the city, and they move to other places. All Edelstein recorded as settlers from Nikolayev. In the early 19th century to Nikolaev actively resettled Jews from Kurland and Polish territory annexed by the Russian Empire. Moreover, under the terms of resettlement, they should have been traders or artisans. Every Jewish family had to pay for the move to Nikolaev 5 Christians. Thus, in Nikolaev could move only wealthy Jewish families.
Later, I was able to trace the descendants of Edelstein from Izmail - many of they relocated to Odessa and Kherson.

Private User
7/7/2014 at 12:23 AM

Private User
Dear Vladimir,
Thank you a lot or your efforts
As you knows families Shmulyian and Edelstain were joined in marriage of Моисей Шмульян - son of Пинхас Шмульян - with Эмилия Шмульян (Эдельштейн) - daughter of Meir-Wolf Edelstein.
You are gran-grand-grandson of Meir-Wolf Edelstein
I am grand-grandson of Беньямин Шмульян brother of Пинхас Шмульян. I was born in Herson and I suppose that there should be Shmulyian history in the city also
Please inform me if you find the links or tell me the souce where your links were found
As I know Shmulyian family begins from Лейба Шмульян after 1865 in small city Голая Пристань in Herson district

7/7/2014 at 2:59 AM

Do you have a book by Leonid Grossman about his family history? There are many references about Edelstein and Shmulyian.

Private User
yesterday at 3:51 AM

No I don't/ Please give me a link o the book. Thank you in advance

yesterday at 9:11 AM

I have only one book. I'll try to scan it, but it will take time.

Private User
yesterday at 9:29 AM

Please tell me the book exact title - I'll try to find it in internet. Or it is very seldom, is it?

Private User
yesterday at 9:30 AM

Anyway I will be very obliged if you scan the book. A lot of thanks

yesterday at 9:34 AM

Леонид Зиновьевич Гроссман
История рода Гроссманов
Одесса, Издательство Optima 2009

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion