Princess Wendelgarde von Sachsen (Saxony) - Bingo?

Started by Alex Moes on yesterday

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
yesterday at 5:33 AM

I think I have worked out who this is supposed to be:

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/GERMAN%20NOBILITY.htm#WundelgartMUd...

Birth date matches, husband matches, several sons match, Medlands includes unnamed daughters too!
Parent is wrong but you can't have everything.

Anyone want to comment?

yesterday at 7:46 AM

I'm not sure it's possible to say her parent is wrong. Maybe a better phrasing would be that this parent is not fully supported from the sources ;)

This is the first time I've seen MedLands venturing into something that is explicitly as reconstruction: "he reconstruction of the family of Ekkehard [I] and his children is based on an interpretation set out by the editor of the MGH SS edition of Casuum Sancti Galli, Continuatio I, Ekkehardo IV."

MedLands says, "As explained below under this couple's supposed daughter Wundilgart, this second reconstruction is fundamentally flawed from a chronological point of view. However, this does not exclude its partial accuracy, which could imply a Liudolfinger origin as shown here. It should be emphasised that this is all highly speculative."

MedLands goes on to say, "Assuming there is any truth in the text, it is more likely that Wundelgart was the niece of King Heinrich by his sister, although this is far from certain considering the broad range of interpretation possible for the word "neptis"."

Other authorities say she was probably a niece of Henry the Fowler, but not clear whether through her father or mother. Geni is showing her father as Luidolf, a brother of Henry. That's a fairly common solution across the Internet. See, for example, http://gw.geneanet.org/aurejac?lang=en;pz=elouan;nz=aurejac;ocz=0;p...

Because of the great doubt here, I think we should disconnect her parents and discuss the possibilities (with links) in her About Me.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion