Norwegian Shipbuilders

Started by Patricia Ann Scoggin on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 24 posts
7/19/2014 at 2:03 AM

I don't know if anyone would be interested in a project about this or not.

I have entered into Geni my great grandmother's 1/2 brother, Knut Johannesson Volden (Ness). The family doesn't have the names of the parents for Ingeborg Belle (Ness) Anderson, so I didn't know how to enter him as a 1/2 brother other than to make that comment in his About section. I put a long article in his profile about the ship Gjøa. I have a comment that she had a 1/2 brother with the last name of Johnson, but am not even sure if this is that person. She was born in the Rosendal, Hordaland County, Norway area & came to America when she was 18 (around 1874?) & settled in Lisbon, Illinois area.

Half brother of Ingeborg Belle Ness Anderson (1856-1940) was Knut Johannesson Skaala (Skaale) who built the ship called the Gjøa in Rosendal, Norway. (See his profile for the only info I have about him.)
• This ship was used by Roald Amundsen in 1903-1906 to successfully traverse the Northwest Passage, a water route from the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean.
• The name on his headstone is Knut Volden in Rosendal, Norway.

GENi Site: @Knut Nes Skalla Volden

Knut Johannesson Volden (Ness) (My 2nd great uncle/ps)
Birth: 1843 Norway
Death: 1900 (57) Norway
Buried in: Rosendal, Norway
Immediate Family:
• [1/2] Brother of Ingeborg Belle (Ness) Anderson
• Knut had three different last names, first Nes, then Skaala, and finally Volden.
Last names were changed as they married a person from a different farm (so he must have been married a couple of times?/ps).
He isn't in my direct line of ancestors, but I would like to have more info about him if anyone in Norway has the time or interest in looking for more about him. I am also unsure whether his last name initially was spelt Nes or Ness. Right now he is sort of "hanging-out-there" and I would like for him to have more family connections. (I am also unsure if I have his name entered correctly in Geni... so could use some help there.)

I am unsure if this is the place for this request or not, but didn't know where else to put it. Would it be better if I put this in the Curators help discussion & request help there??? I know they don't do our research for us, but maybe someone would be willing to take up the challenge & help me find out more about this interesting man.

I am sure there were other shipbuilders in Norway who could be included in this Project. Is there a better title than the bare bones one above??? Would there be any interest in this project???

Or is there another Norwegian Project that he would fit in better???

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I only speak/read English, so attempting to read some of the other Project titles is a challenge.

Thanks for any & all help and suggestions.
Hugs & Angels be with you,
ps: I have Norwegian ancestors on both my mom & dad's side of the family.

7/19/2014 at 6:22 PM

About Knut Johannesson, I see that his death record is already in the "sources" tab.

Reading the record, at that time he was known as Knut Johannesson, and Skaala was considered his dwelling place, not part of his name (at least by the pastor).

It seems to fit that this is his record in the 1865 census: - this gives his birthplace, the name of his parents, and the birth years of his siblings. He doesn't seem to have ever moved from Kvinnherad, which is not uncommon at all - many people stayed put in those years.

This lists Ingebor as his full sister, but you can only be sure about that by looking up the church books for their baptisms.

Good luck with the further search!

7/20/2014 at 1:51 AM

Thank you so much for the info & site. As I said above, I am not 100% sure if he is related or not to Ingeborg Belle Ness Anderson, my great grandmother. Going by the info in the census her last name would have been Johannesdatter and I have nothing in the family history to indicate that this was her maiden name. I have that it was Ness (& that may not be correct spelling.) The age would have been about right as she would have been 9-10 depending on when the census was taken.

For her I have a birth date of: 9 May 1856 in (Rosendal) Kvindherred, Hordaland County, Norway, just below 60° lat & above Skaanevta.

This census would really fill in some blanks with parents & brothers/sisters as I have nothing other than tradition for my great grandmother (Ingeborg Belle (Ness) Anderson).

I wish I could connect with someone there in Norway who might be willing to help determine if the Ingebor in this census is my relative or not.

Again, thanks so much for your info. It is more than I had & would show a more direct connection between them.
Angels be with you,

7/20/2014 at 2:24 PM

Here is the baptism of Knud Johannesen, number Q 67:

Knud is born July 20th 1843, baptised July 23rd. Name: Knud Johannesen. And at a later time a priest have written that he dies January 5th 1900 at Skaala farm in Kvinnherad, Hordaland. His parents are living at the farm Næss at his birth where they are farmers and their names are Johannes Jørgensen and his wife Ingeborg Knudsdatter. Witnesses are Knud Olsen Næss, Knud Knudsen Næss, Ole Knudsen Næss, Ædel Torgersd. Næss, Herborg Olsd. Snilstvedt. The name after their patronym is their living address at that time, and is not a part of their name. Torgersd. = Torgersdatter, Olsd. = Olsdatter.

7/20/2014 at 2:38 PM

Johannes first wife Ingeborg Knudsdatter dies July 21st 1850 after giving birth to Anna June 14th the same year, those two events are probably related, though her cause of death is not mentioned. Burried July 27th. She is a 31 year old farmers wife living at the farm Næss.

Number 46:

7/20/2014 at 3:05 PM

Johannes Jørgensen gets married again in June 1854, number 6:

It's hard to read the date but I think it is either 25th or 28th at Kvinnherad Church (it reads Hovedkirken, which means "The Main Church" in the parish). Johannes Jørgensen is a widower and he gets married to the girl Anna Sigfusdatter. His is 47 years old (approx.) and born at Næss, she is 35 (approx.) and born at Klette. His father is Jørgen Johannesen, her father is Sigfus Gotskalksen. And this is a prime example of why you should allways check out the information you are getting from the censuses, where her name in the 1865 census is Anna Gotskalksdatter, where it now looks like it really should be Anna Sigfusdatter, and Gotskalk is Sigfus' father instead of Anna's father. Witnesses are Helge Nielsen Næss and Peder Jensen Næss.

7/20/2014 at 3:23 PM

And here is Ingeborg's baptism from the churchbook which you have linked from the bell ringers book in her profile, baptism number 42:

Born May 9th 1856, baptised May 11th in Kvinnherad Church. Name: Ingeborg Johannesdatter, born in wedlock. Parents: Johannes Jørgensen, farmer at Næs, and Wife Anna Sigfusdatter. Witnesses: Boel Sigfusd. Mehl, Mari K. Næs, Anna J. Aarsnæs, Knud Olsen Næs, Gotskalk S. Klætte.

7/20/2014 at 3:31 PM

Knud's confirmation october 4th 1857, number 22:

7/20/2014 at 3:35 PM

Ingeborg's confirmation October 16th 1870, number 34:

7/20/2014 at 3:39 PM

Ingeborg getting her attest for moving to America, 1874 September 14th. Right page left column, number 8 in 1874; she's 18 years old:

7/20/2014 at 3:45 PM

Her name when leaving for America is Ingeborg Johannesdatter and she is living at Næs. Johannesd. = Johannesdatter, and there is a comma between her lastname Johannesd. and the farmname Næs, which seperates what is her lastname (Johannesdatter) with her address (Næs).

7/20/2014 at 3:52 PM

I think I have bombarded you enough for tonight. Please tell me if you have any more questions?

Private User
7/20/2014 at 5:17 PM

NIce!! great work Remi Trygve Pedersen !!

7/21/2014 at 2:14 AM

Remi, you and Jay are a blessing. I was getting ready to call it a night (it is 1 AM here in Glendale, AZ) and I thought I would check my emails once more before going to bed. I was surprised with all of the info you have provided. I will work my way thru it when I get up later today (my sleeping habits are sort of mixed up!!!) It looks like you have answered and anticipated many of my questions. I am so happy to be able to add to what the family knows about her (Ingeborg Belle) and her family.

I have a cousin, Gene Anderson, who worked to bring the Anderson tree to 2011 and he & I worked thru a conundrum involving Ingeborg 's mother-in- law's 1st 2 children. We came to the conclusion that Inger Katrina's 2nd husband, Sjur, must have adopted them. But we had quite a few conversations as marriage dates just weren't working!!! I will be sharing this info with him so we can get everything straight.

Remi, any idea who Anna Mathiasdatter age 95  –– born about 1771 (from the 1865 census) is & how she is related to the family??? I am wondering if she is a mother-in-law or possibly Johannes Jørgensen's mother???

How important is it to type the o (ø) with a line thru it??? My computer will allow me to switch to Norwegian & shows the keyboard to be able to do so, but does it make a difference??? I have done the switch to Norwegian spelling so far as some words seem to have a regular o and some have the ø. The same with the æ.

In reading thru your info it looks like there was another Anna born in 1850 who died that year as well as her mother??? So Ingebor had a different mother from Knud???????? Which would make him her 1/2 brother... Or did I misread that? Will look at it closer in the morning.

Again, thank you both VERY much for finding all of this info for me!!! Your explanations for some of the Census and the naming has been a big help... I was getting so confused. I am still unsure how Knut`s last name went from Johannesen to Volden. Gene & his wife visited Norway a few years ago and were shown the grave site & headstone for him & it had Volden as the last name on it!!! I will have to ask if he took a picture of it.

Angels be with you
and lots of hugs,

7/21/2014 at 2:51 AM

Would there be a need for a Project entitled "Norwegian Shipbuilders" or something similar??? or is there one already amongst the Norwegian projects??? If there is I would like Knut added to it. Because he was responsible for such a famous ship, I thought it would be nice to have him in such a project... Is this a project that should be considered???

Private User
7/21/2014 at 10:32 AM

Hi Patricia,
Heres Knud Knudsen Volden the son of Knut Johannesson, find him here 1910 in the Census living at "Wolden Volden".
Volden is a farm name Skaale also its next door to Volden names change sometimes as people move to other farms its pretty common.

7/21/2014 at 3:06 PM

About the Anna Mathiasdatter age 95 in 1865. Here she is in 1801-census:

This is approx 5 years before Johannes Jørgensen is born, but Anne Matthisdatter (as her name is spelled here) is allready married to Jørgen Johansen and they have a daugter Maritte Jørgensdatter age 1. These to are probably the parents of Johannes Jørgensen (I haven't looked for the baptism, therefore there is a small chnace that I can be wrong.) Also the parents of Anne is living with them and their names are Matthis Matthisen, age 72, and Edel Jensdatter, age 72. Their age can be up to 10 years wrong either way in this census.

The nordic alphabet has 3 more letters than the English one. Æ/æ, Ø/ø and Å/å, the swedes writes the first two letters as Ä/ä and Ö/ö. They have different pronounciation than the other vowels in the alphabet, so o has a different sound than ø, if a word or name is written with any of these letters, please use them. The ø is pronounced more like the vowel in the English word "sure", the å like "shore", sorry can't find a good English word with the sound of æ in it.

It is correct that Ingeborg and Knud had different mothers. Here are the 4 children mentioned by FamilySearch of Johannes Jørgensen and Ingeborg Knudsdatter:

Here is a picture of Knut Johannesen Volden's gravestone: and his burialnotice in the churchbook first one on the page: his name is written Knut Johannesen at his Death, died January 5th 1900 at Skaale of liverdecease, burried Jabuary 12th in Kvinnherad. He was a farmer and a shipbuilder.

There didn't exist any farm With the name Volden in 1900. In 1910 there is but it has the same farmnumber as the farm they leved on in 1900, so sometime between 1900 and 1910 the part of the farm Skaala with the name Volden got separated as a part by it self from the main farm Skaala. Knut probably never used the name Volden himself, and the name on the gravestone is put there by is descendants a long time after his death.

There is't such a project as far as I know, if you would like to start one, pleasre og ahead.

7/21/2014 at 11:05 PM

Remi, thanks sooooo much for all of your information and answering my questions.

Since I don´t read Norwegian, deciphering some of the documents is a challenge. What do the following words mean: (these are going across from Anne Matthisdatter in the1801 census)
Hans kone --
Bægge i 1ste ægteskab --
Leyl. soldat, bode --

Thanks for the pix of the headstone. For some reason, it didn't come up the first time I clicked on the link. Just did so again and now it came up. Will add it to Knut´s profile in media tab since I already have a facial pix of him.

I found several other family members when I went to the family search site including marriage dates for Ingeborg´s parents once I figured out how to get around in the site. Found that Gotskalksdatter or Gotskalkson was Anna´s father´s last name... will put a note in her profile that Anna's last name should be Sigfusdatter.

I don´t think I will establish a Norwegian Shipbuilders project as Erica Howton invited me to join a more generic project for "Shipbuilders A.K.A. Shipwrights" that would include shipbuilders from all nationalities. I think my proposal may have been too limiting??? I did add Knut to that project, so I have accomplished what I wanted which was to get him into a shipbuilding project.

Again, thank you ever so much for all of the info, sites and help.
Hugs & Angels be with you,

7/22/2014 at 4:03 AM

Hans kone = His wife
Bægge i 1ste ægteskab = Both in their 1st marriage
Leyl. soldat, bonde = Leyl. ~ Leylending: Cotter (He is not the owner of the farm he lives on), soldat = soldier, bonde = farmer

The picture is copyrighted by law and it is the photographer that has the rights to publish it, he can be contacted here: and his name is Hans Ordin Østebø

7/23/2014 at 1:21 AM

Which picture are you talking about-- the headstone or his face pix???
The picture of him I got from a cousin who got it from a brochure about him, sooo, I will assume the pix you are talking about is the headstone. Will send an email to Hans. Thanks for the info and the translations, they really help.

Thank you so much for all of your help, I really appreciate it. You have provided so much info that I didn't have!!!

7/23/2014 at 2:21 AM

Thank you for giving me the heads up about the picture. I just attempted to send Hans a message and it came back as a mail system error... :-( would you please check his email address??? I clicked on it so I know I didn't mistype it... I am getting ready to modify the pix of the headstone to include that it was taken by him & re-enter it into Geni. I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

7/24/2014 at 6:57 AM

@Remi Trygve Pedersen
Could you ck the email address for Hans Ordin Østebø??? The one you initially provided didn´t go thru as I got a mail error message.

7/24/2014 at 3:11 PM

I got an error to, I have found a few others:

Try the first one first, if still an error og to the next one.

7/25/2014 at 2:27 AM

@Remi Trygve Pedersen
It looks like the first one went thru. Now I'll wait to see if he responds. Will keep you posted...

Showing all 24 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion