mi² Anderson, (c) ♥ - Family Tree Problem

Started by Gerald (Jerry) Leon Lewis on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Profiles Mentioned:

• <private> Hannah
    Geni member
Showing all 22 posts
7/19/2014 at 7:22 AM

It looks like you have taken over my family tree on Genie. No one in my family tree knows anyone in yours. How can we separate the trees?

Private User
7/19/2014 at 8:29 AM

Gerald (Jerry) Leon Lewis, <private> Hannah actually has a fairly close connection to you through Scott Knight's ex-wife, but she often ends up with profiles from abandoned trees due to her Curator duties on Geni. Since Geni is a single world tree with the goal of connecting everyone, we rarely separate accurate tree connections. But you can certainly take management of those profiles in your family - something mi² would probably appreciate. You can request management of any of those profiles from the action menu and, if you so choose, you can remove mi² as a manager if it's outside her family group.

7/19/2014 at 9:06 AM

What Jeff said!

<private> Hannah
7/19/2014 at 9:16 AM

Jerry, I just went into the tree, you're Christine's grandfather. She's married to my first cousin.

7/19/2014 at 10:27 AM

Sorry! I have more than 100 000 people in my tree and it wasn`t me that added this profile to our tree. But I guess there is a connection since someone in my tree has added this profile (mi² Anderson,).

7/19/2014 at 11:49 AM

I've blocked her, but we are still receiving everything from her tree.

Private User
7/19/2014 at 12:00 PM

Why block her? She's trying to help you. That action is not going to help anyone and will make transferring those profiles to you more difficult.

Private User
7/19/2014 at 12:04 PM

What profiles are at issue here, as this is also her tree. Are there particular profiles you want to manage and if so have you sent a management request for them?

Private User
7/19/2014 at 5:28 PM

Jerry, I see your "problems", - mimi is the primary manager of your children. The reason is natural and not related to the fact that she is a curator in Geni.

Take a look on your own profile, - and the others - the one who added those profiles and invited you is the key to this. Mimi, as a close relative to that person built that tree and invited her to join, but when she lost her interest and that account got flagged as abandoned mimi inherited those profiles and the profiles added by that user since she was the one who initially built the line and was the closest active Geni user when the account got flagged as inactive.

If it bugs you I am sure that mimi can remove her self as manager of those profiles, but still: As a family member she will still have full access. Time to know your family better?

<private> Hannah
7/19/2014 at 5:46 PM

Thank you, Bjorn. I don't think he understands that his granddaughter is married to my first cousin. Jerry and I are related through marriage.

7/20/2014 at 2:29 AM

Gerald (Jerry) Leon Lewis - I really recommend You to un-block any user here: http://www.geni.com/account_settings/blocked_users

7/20/2014 at 5:55 AM

Jerry, when you say your problem is that you're still "receiving" things from her tree, do you mean notifications/e-mails? If so, you might want to adjust your notification settings at http://www.geni.com/account_settings/notifications

That might address part of the problem for you.

Private User
7/21/2014 at 4:00 AM

This is not a venue for private trees. There, are other programs for that. Here we recognize that we are inter related. You ate absolutely a distant cousin whether you know me out not. I prefer to own myth distant cousins and delight in meeting them. Blocking anyone would cause serious harm because those are true relationships. Then I would never know I am your cousin and that masters to me. We are one tree, the same tree. That honors each of my great ancestors.

7/21/2014 at 4:05 AM

I concur. Please join my family.

7/21/2014 at 9:08 AM

What my cousin Private User Lyons Dagher said, except her typos! hugs to you cousin!

<private> Hannah
7/21/2014 at 9:21 AM

1 of my first cousins was married to one of his descendants and 1 of my first cousins is currently married to his granddaughter. He said nobody in his family knows anybody in mine. Au contraire!

7/21/2014 at 12:36 PM

Sorry guys, I guess I was not aware of the protocol involved with Genie.
Guess I'll have to pay more attention.

7/22/2014 at 1:31 AM

Gerald (Jerry) Leon Lewis dear... despair not, you are not alone. There are many individuals who thought that their family if private on Geni.com. However, they are unfortunately never meant to be. You need personal family tree software on your own PC/Mac to have total privacy. Once you have them online, it ceases to be private.

There are benefits in having them on Geni.com though. You get to know the extended families and tying loose ends. I get to know many unknown relatives through the collaborative works of many people, relatives or not.

We are after all descendants of the first two persons on earth, Adam and Eve. We are all related!

Private User
7/22/2014 at 6:35 AM

To clarify Aznijar's comments - he was speaking of collaboration. It should not be interpreted that your tree or family information is public. Living profiles are private and can only be view by family members. See http://www.geni.com/company/privacy

7/22/2014 at 9:26 AM

Thanks for the clarification dear Curator Private User!

I was referring to the public profiles of the deceased or the 'made' public living profiles.

Private User
7/22/2014 at 9:58 AM

t is not possible to have public profiles of living people on Geni unless they are flagged as Master Profiles, and only curators can assign those in collaboration with the managers and the general rule is that they are highly public people elsewhere like in Wikipedia.

7/23/2014 at 4:55 AM

Thanks for further clarification from Curator Private User!

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion