Hey Geni!!! You reading these posts???

Started by Byron Jason Whitesides © on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
7/19/2014 at 3:19 PM

Are you saying you entered duplicates yourself, without realizing, and Geni failed to catch it, or ???

Private User
7/19/2014 at 4:15 PM

I do have to wonder why in heavens name you created all those duplicates, rather than using the profiles that already existed.

If we are talking about something that happened this month -- Geni may be so focused on slowly churning thru every single one of the profiles and deciding which to switch to Public, that perhaps other jobs are on hold.

Also - did all "duplicates" have same family members (with same names), have birth and death dates as well as names (the same, of course), have same locations - or which info did they have?

Private User
7/19/2014 at 4:28 PM

We cross-posted. Looking at your example:

first one: Wife of Camimir Tremblay
Mother of Cléophe Tremblay
second one: Wife of Casimir Tremblay
Mother of Louis-Wilfrid Tremblay

They are the Mother of DIFFERENT people, the Wife of DIFFERENT people -- therefore no reason for Geni to think they are the same person/ Geni does not match them.

On the other hand -- woman with same name, with husband with same first name - those they sometimes match on that alone!! (eg Mary (Brown) Smith wife of Jeremy Smith ---- Mary SMITH wife of Jeremy Green -- (possibly no dates) - those they match --- those drive me bonkers).

Private User
7/19/2014 at 4:40 PM

Charles -
Husband of Marie-Josephte Isoire
Father of Marie-Anne Pepin
Husband of Marie-Josephte Isoire
Father of Joseph Pépin dit Lachance
-- The family structure needs to match -- not just the names and dates.

Marie-Charlotte - family structure does not match.

I am way past time I have to deal with my "other" life - can not keep checking now. What you want to do is ask if anyone can give you link to how Geni's matching algorithm works. Pretty sure family structure/composition is more important than just same name and date of birth. It was quite a while ago that I saw it discussed.

Private User
7/19/2014 at 6:02 PM

Byron Jason Whitesides © dobutfull they are listening let alone tryinging to fix the furbar merge problem that i think is the root of the matches from heck problem....

Private User
7/19/2014 at 6:26 PM

Byron -

You may not "go with the argument" of matching family relationships but Lois is correct - that is indeed the core of the match algorithm.

And we all get crazy when an obvious match doesn't match. And I believe there "is" a long term plan, but for any software project, it's ready when its ready and thats the way it goes. I worked on one migration that started in 1985 and was not complete in 2002. :)

So this is my workaround when building a tree:

Every now and again I STOP & use the (pretty good) search facility to scour for duplicates, and merge them in.

I get the best results in the search tool using ... Family relationships.

This is partly because of the not always optimal data entry practices of some members, and the legacy GEDCOM uploads still being cleaned.

And that's a membership issue, as no one at Geni creates the profiles. Members do.

7/19/2014 at 11:37 PM

Also bear in mind that these duplicates were just made within past two weeks or so, from what it seems. As I recall, the matching process can take a little bit of time due to the resources it requires. Some you get immediately, some take a little longer, just depending on luck of the draw. The privacy changes have only added to that.

It's not what anyone wants to hear, necessarily, but the real solution is...reevaluate your workflow so that you don't don't duplicate so much. Or if you do -- and we all do it sometimes -- be mindful of the names so you can manually initiate the merges yourself. You don't need to rely on the match icon. And not duplicating so much would certainly save you a lot of time. No one likes to change their process, but this might be a sign.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion