Thank you!

Started by Eowyn Langholf (GFR Cousin Coordinator) on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• <private> Paquet
    Geni member
Showing all 14 posts
7/23/2014 at 8:15 AM

Hey, this is great! Thanks! Would it be easier for everyone if I just post requests here rather than sending them out individually?

7/23/2014 at 8:16 AM

yes it would be heaps easier

7/23/2014 at 8:19 AM

Logistically yes it would be better to post here but doing that exclusively will mean that some of the visibility of posting general discussion posts where there is more message traffic would be lost.

7/23/2014 at 8:22 AM

I can still post some where there would be more traffic, especially for those individuals who already have an account on Geni.

One more question - would you like me to post each request individually or add them to the one page where some are currently listed?

Private User
7/23/2014 at 8:43 AM

I'd like to see public posts because we can build on each others work. look what Australia got done while the East Coast USA was sleeping!

Randy - our followers will see the project posts. And then there's a focal point to keep requests from being lost. I couldn't find yesterday's discussion from Eowyn easily, but in the project, very quickly.

7/23/2014 at 8:54 AM

"...One more question - would you like me to post each request individually or add them to the one page where some are currently listed?.."

I'd suggest we keep them on the one page initially for better visibility "front page" visibility. If that becomes unwieldy we can reevaluate...besides listing requests on the project description page is how Jason initially started organizing things when he started this project.

Private User good points. Thanks for the feedback.

Private User
7/23/2014 at 9:01 AM

Guess it depends on how many requests we have. It might make more sense to just link the name and paste the provided information into the "About" section, or perhaps it's own discussion thread. If in the about section, then it would have the added privacy protection of the profile, but it may potentially limit non-curators, as they would have to request management of the profile to gain visibility. If posted in a discussion thread, links could easily be provided to the public ancestors (if there are any).

Private User
7/23/2014 at 9:35 AM

Eowyn Langholf (GFR Cousin Coordinator), I've added <private> Paquet & to the project page as completed with a path to A.J. Bryan Shuy does have an account on Geni and I've sent him a message requesting a merge of his tree with the one we've created that connects him to the world tree. His brother Justin Shuy also has a small tree, though he has not logged in for some time.

May I suggest that when you contact users about the path to A.J. along with the question of joining the site, you let them know that their tree exists here and we'd like them to claim it, so that we can turn over management to them and allow them to expand it. In many cases, if someone asks me to join a site, I'll probably say no, but if you tell them their profile exists here, their family tree and ancestors exist here and we want them to take ownership of it, that may change their answer and get them more involved. Also let them know that there is no cost.

Private User
7/23/2014 at 12:09 PM

Eowyn Langholf (GFR Cousin Coordinator), as a follow up to the email suggestion. Perhaps an even better solution, at least for my involvement, would be to email them first. I'm not sure what others are clocking, but I spent 8hrs on Miriam's tree and another 8hrs on Bryan's tree to connect them to A.J. If I'm going to offer my volunteer time, I would like them to at least see the work I've done and hope they'll continue it. I'd love to see them offer some minimal level of participation before I invest.

What are your thoughts on sending something like (sent as A.J.) "I'm working with volunteer genealogists at Geni.com to find a connection between you and I for the Global Family Reunion. I have the information you sent me on your family and they'd like to get started researching a path. It would help greatly and expedite the volunteer work if you created an account on Geni.com, which is free, or if you have an account, let me know. ...

I'm sure A.J. would come up with something good. Anyway.. just some thoughts. Just concerned that I'm going to spend 8hrs researching someone's family and they're going to spend 1min to look at the email and go "oh, my connection to A.J. - that's cool" and then delete it.

7/23/2014 at 1:03 PM

I'm slowly adding them in from the history my grandfather compiled that can be found here: http://www.rogershuy.com/family/ . On my mother's side, there is an extended family history that's in a cookbook we all received at a family reunion a decade ago. I just have to find my copy or borrow my grandmother's. It goes back to the mid 19th century. In both cases, we haven't been able to go past that since it's around the time the Shuys (Scheus) and Wilsons immigrated to the US. On my maternal grandfather's side, I'm working to find out his parents name, but little is known past that as they both died before he was 8 years old. And on my paternal grandmother's side, we know very little because she was adopted from unnamed parents.

7/23/2014 at 1:52 PM

Hi Private User, I completely understand what you are saying and having done plenty of research for people who appreciated for about half a second I do get what you mean. I have already been sending something worded almost exactly as what you wrote to individuals when I pass their research off to Geni and WikiTree. I've had a few respond but most I have yet to hear back from. If you only want to work on submissions where the individual has/or does join Geni I can understand - just let me know!

7/23/2014 at 1:54 PM

P.S. We're talking hundreds of requests. There are already hundreds pending with all levels of information provided and we're getting 30-50 new emails a day.

Private User
7/23/2014 at 2:03 PM

Eowyn - I understand, and it's a great problem to have. But the person who "wants to go to the global reunion" really needs to do a tree so connections to AJ can be made by researchers. :)

7/24/2014 at 2:55 PM

Jeff - get ready for this one - another connection for A.J. - A.J. Jacobs is חנה מלצר דן Chana Meltzer Dan's first cousin's wife's great nephew's wife's second great uncle's wife's great nephew's ex-wife's second cousin. I started looking at Shimon Peres, found links to Meltzers (relatives of mine) and thought "you never know.." Sure enough - another branch on his tree!

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion