David Benjamin

Started by Nicholas Jay Groll on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Participants:

Showing all 8 posts
7/24/2014 at 2:29 PM

I suspect I may know who this famous David Benjamin - 'London financier' was, but am unsure how to find out more about the David Benjamin who was at the helm of the mining company... Does anybody know where there might be more information about him?

7/25/2014 at 12:32 AM

Google? Sorry to be so useless. :-)what a great project this is though.

Private User
7/25/2014 at 2:23 AM

Google just gives us the same 1 or 2 lines... What are your suspicions Nicholas?

Private User
7/25/2014 at 7:01 AM

Most of Google's hits start with the following text "In 1881 a London financier, David Benjamin obtained the mining rights"

however changing the search criteria to "London financier David Benjamin Transvaal" gives additional hits including;
" Gold was discovered later at Pilgrim's Rest in the Transvaal Drakensberg mountains in September 1873.
London-based financier David Benjamin founded the Transvaal Gold Mining Exploration and Land Company in 1883 which did not allow private individuals to own land in the area, and hence no permanent buildings were erected. The gold rush did not last long and the town was mostly abandoned."
this is believed to be from T.V. Bulpin's book The Golden Republic pg 132

there is also mention of David Benjamin in the Jewish Yearbook found on archive.org
http://archive.org/stream/jewishyearbook00unkngoog/jewishyearbook00...

Private User
7/25/2014 at 7:11 AM
Private User
7/25/2014 at 8:25 AM

Great! thanks Ivo

Private User
7/25/2014 at 9:29 AM

Also mentioned here http://www.firsturanium.com/sjfu/action/media/downloadFile?media_fi... WRT farms purchased

My guess is that more info could be found through Chamber of Mines library and archives as well as via SA Jewish organisations

Private User
7/27/2014 at 11:57 PM

There is some blurb on him ex Prospector's hiking trail
"In 1881, a London financier, David Benjamin, obtained the mining rights concession of the farms Ponieskrantz (on which Pilgrim’s Rest is located), Ledovine, Waterhouboom, Driekop and Grootfontein, and established the Transvaal Gold Exploration and Land Company. In 1895, various smaller companies merged with Benjamin's company and in 1896 the Transvaal Gold Mining Estates (TGME) was formed. The mining operation continued until 1972 when TGME closed down the Beta mine. Since 1974 the provincial administration has managed Pilgrim's Rest as a living museum. There are a few new mines active in and around the Pilgrim's Rest area, but the main attraction seems to be the many tourism activities in the area."

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion