Harmen Jansz Potgieter, SV/PROG - Y-DNA R CTS 8401 (R1a1a1b1a3b1 R1a1a1b1a3b1)

Started by Sharon Doubell on Wednesday, January 20, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 20 posts
1/20/2016 at 7:22 AM

Thanks to Martin Andreas Karl (Dries) Potgieter having uploaded his genetic test result, we can now be pretty sure that the SA POTGIETER Progenitor was of the Y DNA Haplogroup R CTS 8401 (R1a1a1b1a3b1).

Which looks to me to be the Haplogroup of a lot of Swedish people, although (Roland Henry Baker, III &
Private User can comment on my 'quick & dirty' internet search findings :-))

So great of you to share this, Dries. That means that any other male Potgieters on Geni are likely to share this Haplogroup- because Y-DNA is passed from father to son to son to son etc. [ie even though Harmen Jansz Potgieter is my 9th gr grandfather, neither I nor any of my brothers will share his Y-DNA. (Me, because -as a female- I don't have Y-DNA :-) My brothers because he is not a direct patrilineal (fatherline) grandpa - there are grannies inbetween.)]

1/20/2016 at 7:31 AM

Nice!

I'm also in the R1a1a1 subgroup under L664. But my ancestors left the area and went to Southern England after the Romans left.

You also have an ancient neolithic cousin who was recently tested:

Nordic Middle Neolithic Denmark Kyndelose [RISE61] F 2650-2300 BC including reduction for high marine signal R1a1a1

Page7+; Tagankin adds: R1a1a1b1a3b1 (CTS8401)

Allentoft 2015; Mathieson 2015; additional info from Vladimir Tagankin

1/20/2016 at 7:55 AM

:-) We need links to the news articles and the dig sites, Roland :-)

1/20/2016 at 8:04 AM

I am always posting R1a news on Facebook and Twitter:

https://twitter.com/RolandBakerIII

https://www.facebook.com/rolandhenry.bakeriii

And you may want to also follow or join:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/R1a1a/

:)

1/20/2016 at 9:10 AM

I feel a bit sad if my 4th cousin (-1) is R... :( I must have missed the humor! :)

Private User
1/22/2016 at 9:37 AM

The R haplogroup (R1a and R1b) are huge. Haplogroup R1a alone has many sub-branches. Here is a fun site to read about haplogroup R1a:

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_R1a_Y-DNA.shtml

I agree with you Sharon about adding news articles as well as scientific papers to Geni. I think adding articles and papers to the relevant projects will be useful. I'm working on this now and for the next little while.

Roland, you may want to consider providing your links for twitter and facebook in the relevant R1a projects. These links may just get buried in discussions.

1/22/2016 at 2:24 PM

Hmm... that's an interesting idea - I hadn't thought of that :)

1/23/2016 at 1:43 AM

:-)

Sorry to stat this discussion again. (They say that if you hit a Dinosaurs Rex`s tail the Message reach his brain 14 days later) 1. I want to put the DNA code on each of the Potgieters on my main Potgieter line. Where is the right place to put it.
2. Gerrit Janz Visser is both my Mother as well as my Fathers 6 th Great Grand father. Is my DNA applicable to the Visser side as well

2/15/2016 at 10:30 AM

Dries Rex :-)
=Where is the right place to put it?= Rumours are that Geni is going to provide us with a field. Until then, I'm happy to put it in a Curator note on top of each of their profiles for you, if you like.

=Gerrit Janz Visser is both my Mother as well as my Fathers 6 th Great Grand father. Is my DNA applicable to the Visser side as well?=
I think what you have results for is
-your patrilineal Y-DNA (your father's fathers father's line is how this is passed down) &
-your matrlilineal mtDNA (your mother's mother's mother's line is how this is passed down).
So, the answer is, "NO", those results aren't applicable to both, because what you have test results for is specific to only those lines.

In other words:
- Your mom's Potgieter great grandpa is not on a direct female line from her, so her (your) mtDNA doesn't apply to him. (Women pass mtDNA to all their children, but only their daughters pass it on. The only male in an mtDNA line is therefore the last one - like you.)
- Your Mom wasn't born a Potgieter, so her father or brothers aren't on a direct male-only line from the mutual Potgieter grandpa, and so they won't be carrying his Y chromosome. (There are no women on the Y line, because they don't have Y chromosomes.)

That is not to say that your Potgieter 6th gr grandpa hasn't passed other DNA (there are 23 other chromosomes) to his Visser descendants. He won't, however, have passed his Y or mtDNA down to them - and that's what your results are for.

I ask Noelle and Roland to check me here, because I don't even have Biology to matric, so this is just stuff I think I know. :-)

Thanks Sharon, will you please put it someplace for all posterity to see.

(and if you may, put there as well" DNA Samples provided by your Great Great Grand Uncle Dries under painful circumstances'"

Private User
2/15/2016 at 4:23 PM

Hi Sharon, you explained inheritance of YDNA and mtDNA very well!

2/16/2016 at 12:24 AM

Yaay :-)

Dries - how about "Blood,spit & tears"

11/24/2016 at 2:58 AM

THe humor is def POTGIETER - Dries sounds just like my dad Leon :-) so do I still need to do my tests too or can I just go on Dries tests?

11/24/2016 at 4:55 AM

Willa, His Y DNA haplogroup will be your father's Y DNA haplogroup, provided both your trees are correct and there were no cases of misattributed paternity.

Other than this shared gr gr gr .. grandfather, though, you are presently not very closely related to Dries on geni at all.
Your autosomal DNA and your mtDNA will be very different to his.

Hi Willa, Die familie werk so Johannes Theodorus Potgieter was my Oupagrootjie se pa, hy was by die slag van Bloedrivier. Hy is jou KYK NOU SELF Johannes Theodorus Potgieter, b1c8d1e5

3/19/2017 at 2:19 AM

Johannes Theodorus Potgieter, b1c8d1e5 is my fourth great grandfather.
Willa
her father → Leon Potgieter
his father → Johannes Theodorus Potgieter
his father → Gerhardus (Gert) Daniël Potgieter
his father → Johannes Theodorus Potgieter
his father → Gerhardus Daniel Potgieter
his father → Johannes Theodorus Potgieter, b1c8d1e5

3/19/2017 at 2:24 AM

If I have it right - Dries is my 1st cousin 3 times removed (he is 3 generations before me?

Johannes Theodorus Potgieter, b1c8d1e5 is
Dries: great-great-grandpa
Willa: great-great-great-great-grandpa

but yes - Geni - place his wife via the Potgieter-link and my mom's Potgieter link closer to me than Dries and myself via our dad's Potgieter links - which I find weird as usually it is the male link that is viewed as important

Hi Willa , Glad you're up and well. My Y Dna R-CTS8401 have been drawn through to your Dad, I seems so far that my son and me are the only Potgieters who`s Dna have been analyzed. I have many 2nd to 4th cousins in other surnames but so far no Potgieter match. I feel a kind of lonely, As soon as my ship arrives i will have your Dna taken and analyzed .
It is so with the computers if they have set their minds on something you cant change it

Willa, your Oupa, Johannes Theodorus, is my third cousin, but as soon as your mother comes into the picture the line go weird

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion