Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 4 posts
Private User
2009년 12월 20일 5:49 PM

Do you have any "Geni.com" in Spain? I came from the Philippines, which was under the Spanish rul;e for 300 years. It is a possibility that my ancestors, "Banuelos" from my father's mother side of the family; "Salustiano" from my father's father side; "Espinosa" from my mother's mother; "Lumibao" from my mother's father side of the family originated from Spain.
Is there a way we can trace them back? Thanks.

Private User
2009년 12월 21일 5:25 PM

Any people there who are using geni.com to trace their roots or who knew about the family names "Banuelos" (pronounced as Banwelos); "Salustiano",
Lumibao and Espinosa. Pls. respond to ester_lumibao_salustiano@geni.com.

Private User
2012년 5월 11일 7:18 PM

Hi Ester. Geni.com covers the globe so there is no separate site. You are in the right place!

It is indeed very possible that you have Spanish lineage; but it is best to work back one generation at a time. I have personally traced my Filipino ancestry to 1760; because records from my ancestors town are in tact. This varies between locations; but still, it is possible. :)

Majority of Filipinos have Spanish names because of the Claveria Decree of 1849: http://angkangpilipino.com/2005/12/05/the-claveria-decree-of-1849/. The law compelled Filipinos to take a new surname (regardless of ancestry) and many chose Spanish names. My father has a Spanish surname; but when I did a DNA test that can determine ancestry up to 35 generations back, I learned that my distant ancestors are from China. :D

Lumibao/Lumibaw is indigenous Filipino; but I do not know it's origins yet. :D

I wish you all the best in your research!

Private User
2012년 5월 11일 7:18 PM
Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion