William Dalton - Convict - Ship "David Clarke"

Started by Gail Stapleton on Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts
12/22/2009 at 2:13 PM

William Henry Dalton

I do not think this man is our great grandfather.

The fact that there was not a Convict Application to Marry by William Dalton leads me to believe that in fact the William Henry Dalton was never a convict.

The facts so far.

William Dalton who was convicted in the central criminal court in London (which is attached to the Old Bailey) on the 17th august in 1840 was sentenced to transportation to van diemens land for 12 years.

WILLIAM DALTON, Theft > housebreaking, 17th August 1840.

Reference Number: t18400817-2043
Offence: Theft > housebreaking
Verdict: Guilty > other
Punishment: Transportation

2043. WILLIAM DALTON was indicted for feloniously breaking and entering the dwelling-house of Henry Cordell, on the 3rd of August, at St. James's, Clerkenwell, and stealing therein 4 yards of ribbon, value 1s. his property; and that he had been before convicted of felony.

HENRY CORDELL . I am a dyer, and live in White Lion-street, in the parish of St. James, Clerkenwell; it is my dwelling-house. In consequence of something that was said to me on the 3rd of August, I noticed a square of glass in the window—it had been cracked, but a piece was forced in, and four yards of ribbon taken out—I found a piece of glass inside the window—I had observed it about twelve o'clock in the morning—it was whole then.

FREDERICK DANIELS . I live opposite the prosecutor. On the 3rd of August, I saw the prisoner put his hand through a square of glass, and take out something, I do not know what—he put it into his pocket, and ran away—I followed him into Claremont-square—he said he was looking for some money which he had dropped in the square—I took him back to the shop.

Prisoner. He took me by the arm and whacked me; Mr. Cordell wanted to let me go, as he had lost nothing, but the witness said he would not let me go without I paid for it. Witness I never said any thing of the kind.

MATILDA CHURCHILL . I am the wife of Henry Churchill, and live in Claremont-mews. I saw the prisoner in Claremont-square, sitting down on the stones, and saw Daniels apprehend him—the prisoner took his hat off, and dropped some ribbon from his hat, with a shilling—I was crossing the road, and picked up the shilling—a fish-man picked up the ribbon—there were two pieces—one was a bright plum colour, and the other a dark brown—two lads came up and said they knew the boy, and would take him the ribbon and shilling—the fish-man told me to give up the shilling, which I did, and he gave them the ribbon.

MARTHA ROYAL . I conduct the business of my uncle, Mr. Cordell. The colours of the ribbons that were lost were brown and plum.

THOMAS ROSE . I am a policeman. I took the prisoner into custody.

JOHN ROADKNIGHT (police-constable G 167.) I produce a certificate of the prisoner's former conviction—(read)—I was present when he was convicted—he is the same person.

GUILTY .* Aged 17.— Transported for Ten Years.

Arrived in Hobart, Tasmania on 4th October 1841 sailed from Plymouth on 7th June 1841 the convict transport "David Clarke" voyage took 119 days. 308 male passengers departed Plymouth, 307 male passengers arrived in Tasmania.

Tasmanian Archives Record Number 2918
Trade: Shoemaker
Height (without shoes) 5 3/4
Age 19
Complexion Fresh, Head Large
Hair Red
Whiskers none, Visage ?, Forehead ?,
Eyebrows Dark Brown, Eyes Light Grey, Nose Large,
Mouth ?, Chin ?, Native Place London,
Remarks g m enclosed in a heart inside left arm,
Freckled

Now some of this record above was very hard to read and there are question marks where I couldn't translate the handwriting from the original document.
Our guy was a seaman, this guy above is a shoemaker.

Does anyone in the Dalton family have red hair?

This guy was Set Free 16 April 1857

I don't believe this is our man as William Henry Dalton our great grandfather was married and had 8 children and was living in Ballarat by 1857.

What does everyone else think?

Private User
5/10/2012 at 4:04 AM

@ Hello, my name is Beverley and I am Victor Daltons daughter , I havent been on this site for ages but I agree with your comments regarding our GGGrandfather not being a convict and I have no knowledge of anyone with red hair. I have been trying to locate his birth certificate with no luck so far, I am going over to England next year so I was hoping to try and gather some more information to take over there so I can follow up more closely. If you can give me some more information or links to more ancestry sites that would help me I would be very grateful.
kind regards
Beverley

5/13/2012 at 7:31 PM

Hi Beverley, Great to hear from you, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, I was having trouble getting into Geni, computer problems, That is great that you are heading off to England, my email address is dat1600@ncable.net.au, send me an email, and If I can help you I will certainly try. Cheers, Gail

5/14/2012 at 5:37 PM

rootschat is a good site to post queries and other members will reply with help or suggestions

Private User
5/14/2012 at 7:43 PM

Thanks Gail, I will have a look at the site and see what I can come up with, as I have tried to locate William Henry Daltons birth certificate in Clapham but nothing comes up, although I found Charlotte Kittlety' one in Scotland. But I thought maybe his records were destroyed during WW2. Anyway will keep researching .
Bye for now, Bev

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion