The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Warning: Profiles Being Deleted

Started by Private User on Thursday, January 21, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• account deleted
    Geni member
Showing 1-30 of 38 posts
Private User
1/21/2010 at 7:21 AM

Several of my profiles have been deleted recently by a user named Terence M Mikal Mutch. He is not responding to my messages, so I have blocked him for the moment as a precaution. Does anyone know Mr. Mutch?

Is anyone else having this type of thing happen?

1/21/2010 at 8:21 AM

I had some delete a profile, but it was a relative so distant that I paid it no attention. I don't know why it was done, however.

Private User
1/21/2010 at 8:25 AM

Well, my mailbox contains 1159 "A Geni profile you manage has been deleted" messages ;-)

Most of these is however from people helping with cleaning up accounts I have inherited by deleting the latest generations in respect of the previous managers privacy.

If you get deleted profile messages from Private User they are deleted because I have asked him to do that.

He have volunteered to help me with time-consuming jobs as deleting profiles from abandoned accounts where Geni failed to delete the profiles automatically and I or some others have inherited them.

He deletes the "living" generations/close family in respect of that persons privacy and try to avoid profiles managed by others or getting too close other claimed profiles, but since he is using the managers "Added By" list these profiles was probably not yours initially.

1/21/2010 at 8:31 AM

Not at all. but I'm curious as to why.

I suspect it could be that he's mixed up between making up a relationship and deleting.

When you find out let us know.

Paul

1/21/2010 at 12:57 PM

I don't know Mr. Mutch. Haven't received anything from him.

Lelia

Private User
2/2/2010 at 7:44 AM

I have finally gotten in touch with Terence Mutch, and it seems it never ocurred to him that deleting profiles that were created by others might cause problems.

Terence is currently working on the Colby branch of the tree.

2/2/2010 at 8:18 AM

He accepted collaboration from me.

Private User
2/5/2010 at 12:06 AM

Someone started deteing profiles of mine the other day.
I wrote and asked why. No answer. Today another seven profiles are deleted. Does anyone know this user?:
Private User

Pat - you ask or tell before delting profiles, at least answer to messages.

Private User
2/5/2010 at 2:16 AM

@ Susanna I am having the same problem with some managers this week; and I've also asked Geni help about
Currently the best way is to block those managers
I guess some people don't seem to understand the problem with that and think that by doing so they are cleaning up the tree
People need to understand that; let's say in 90% of the cases, there is a way to resolve duplicates by merging them together and if you still can't do that you should ask for help from the other managers, or Geni team.
I think that in most cases people are confusing breaking relationships and removing them with deleting them.
In general, deleting profiles without permission is wrong and if it was done deliberately it is RUDE.
As you said before the best way is to first contacting the manager of any profile before going ahead with deleting
If; such in Bjorn's case the deletion is done with the manager permission then it's OK to do so, but only with his managed profiles and not with others

Private User
2/5/2010 at 1:15 PM

I've noticed that on ancestry.com they have when you hover over the remove link, a pop up comes up saying it will disconnect it from your tree but not delete it from your tree. I think that could be written in on geni.

Private User
2/5/2010 at 1:19 PM

That way, instead of having the delete be so easy and the disconnect be so difficult, it should be the other way around. We should have to ask for help to delete someone from the tree. In my opinion.

Private User
2/5/2010 at 1:38 PM

When people unfamiliar with how geni works are trying to organize what they see as correct, they see the X on the corner and really do think that's the way to "unhook" that person. I think they truly don't understand that it takes it out of the search for people that don't have that information set aside in private genealogy programs. Non pros shouldn't be able to delete without a pro to help them because they most likely don't have the experience to understand that they can just disconnect the person so that others can find that profile and place it where it belongs.

Private User
2/5/2010 at 1:41 PM

What is missing is a warning telling that you are deleting a profile not managed by you, - in general all profiles you are the manager of should be flagged in the tree view, for example by a green stripe across the bottom right corner.

Private User
2/5/2010 at 2:07 PM

I got a message from someone who had her account deleted by geni (I got all her profiles).
MY thought is that a relative of hers is deleting those profiles.
If they just tell me I can help to delete sensitive information or lines they do not want to be left on geni.

It is that simple. Just ask.

Private User
2/5/2010 at 4:15 PM

@Private User: I think you're talking about Dawn Le Force (http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=58061 ). If this is, in fact, her who contacted you... PLEASE DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING just at her word.

Please take the time to consult with the rest of us before you act on ANY request from her.

Jason P Herbert

Private User
2/5/2010 at 8:21 PM

Someone just deleted 10 of my profiles - is there a lot of this going on now?! That person appears to have re-added those individuals to the tree - and of course, now controls them. What gives?

Private User
2/6/2010 at 4:01 AM

Shelley: Report it to Geni, also request management of the new profiles (if this was done because of some mistake, he/she would of course transfer them to you), and show him/her this thread. This sort of behaviour is NOT acceptable.

If it does not help, out the person here through a tag, and encourage him/her to leave Geni and start using Legacy...

Private User
2/6/2010 at 5:31 AM

I originally started this thread when several of my profiles had been deleted by the same person. It turned out to be exactly the case that Denise described in her previous post.- the person just didn't know that this is frowned upon when a profile merge is a viable alternative.

I place the blame on Geni for making it too easy to delete profiles that you share management with. It would be hard for me to generally accuse all people who do this to be engaging in "unacceptable behavoir" since Geni is clearly providing the ability to do this easily. We need to convince Geni to make deleting profiles that are shared with other managers to be at least as difficult as it was to get those other managers to agree to merge the profiles in the first place.

Private User
2/6/2010 at 6:44 AM

Fortunately for me, it turned out to be a misunderstanding (that person thought they were dups). I'm fine with it. But seriously, it is too easy to delete shared profiles! I'd no idea until this happened. David's absolutely right.

Private User
2/6/2010 at 1:20 PM

Thanks everybody for your support and advice.
I am not deleting anything, nor giving management away until I know everything is ok with everybody involved.

Private User
4/5/2010 at 12:44 PM

I have deleted 2 duplicate profiles of the hundreds or is it thousands I have merged, because I didn't want to deal with the problems of merging the 2 when two generation apart. Yes it can be done, but it's very time consuming. I avoid it when at all possible, because it creates confusion. Sometime its just easier to get the job done. I wish Geni would send a message to people that gives the exact profile being deleted so it can be referenced.

4/5/2010 at 6:49 PM

I usually request mgmt of the profile first or send an email to the mgr in advance.

Private User
9/12/2011 at 7:50 PM

I had this horrible experience where a person who is distantly related deleted as many as 20-25 profiles on my tree! Although I got the profiles back, they seem to have returned unconnected to the tree, and I had make them again, and keep getting that funny icon which says the profiles are duplicated!. It's very irritating. I have blocked the mischief maker now after the damage was done. I think this is the worst feature of Geni and I would never have gone to them if I knew this first. Now it is too late as I have already got a very elaborate tree on it. If anyone is thinking of using Geni for the first time, please be prepared for unknown people who may be related to your family through marriage only to random delete profiles.

Private User
1/4/2012 at 1:11 PM

I'm currently having a problem where someone has removed profile information from hundreds of profiles. A good part of the tree has become "(No Name)". I blocked the culprit, but I don't know if that's going to do any good. I'm glad it's possible to restore the lost data, but it's tedious.

Anyway, look at this tree to see the problem:

http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000001747332586

And here's the person who I suspect causing the trouble. He asked me to "remove the tree" of some random relative, but before I could respond, he vandalized the tree as seen above, which includes common relatives from generations back.

account deleted

Is there anything that can be done?

1/4/2012 at 1:43 PM

What is weird about this is that they only joined in December, paid to be PRO and now are deleting all these profiles! This is the sort of thing I was warning against with the late Tiering changes. Do we have a name for this person? I would say that rather than blocking them you could perhaps try appealing to them and trying to discover their motives. All blocking does is remove means of communication.

Private User
1/4/2012 at 1:48 PM

Suspending is the only thing that can stop him. Let Geni CS take care of it.

1/4/2012 at 2:08 PM

I agree with the comment - Deleting a Profile - should have a Warning pop-up - of the Effect on Others.

This however - will Not Stop - Malicious Deletions :(

1/4/2012 at 2:35 PM

Ooops I was forgetting about the free Pro Trial option. I guess that is probably what has happened here. Someone is just intent on causing damage and is venting their frustration and anger on the innocent.

1/4/2012 at 2:52 PM

Private User

Did you report him, the link you gave is not blocked.

If it's a lot of profiles, mike can revert them automaticlly

1/4/2012 at 2:54 PM

PS, you need to report him twice to keep him from changing things.

Showing 1-30 of 38 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion