@Johan Dietrich Heffner or @Johann Dietrich Heavner

Started by Angus Wood-Salomon on Thursday, January 21, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
1/21/2010 at 8:59 PM

The spouse of @ Mary Elizabeth Heavner (Farmer)
http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000001367652380

Johann Dietrich Heavner

Johann Dietrich Heavner

Do you know the correct last name??

1/21/2010 at 9:05 PM

@Johan Dietrich Heffner
Johann Dietrich Heavner

Johann Dietrich Heavner
Johann Dietrich Heavner

1/21/2010 at 9:08 PM

Private User

replied
They are both correct. I have also seen it spelled Hafner. Heffner is the German spelling. Heavner is the English spelling and what most of the descendants today go by. Somebody just needs to pick one, but all of the children should use Heavner. It is useful to have the German spelling somewhere so I tend to go with the German spelling for the actual immigrant who came over on the boat and use the English spelling for everyone born here.

1/21/2010 at 9:12 PM

@Randy Heavner
replied
accordng to my research and with the help of a family member, the correct name is Heavner. Which is the name I go by today but the name changes through out history because of not wanting to be totaly honest with government on census reports, At one point in my family tree my 3rd great grandfather changed his name from Heavner to Havener to hide an illegimate child he had by a slave girl. But when my ancestors left Germany the name was Heavner, it was not until they reached the U S did the name start to change from Heavner to Havener or Heffner and also Hefner.

1/21/2010 at 9:20 PM

As a Collaborator I would prefer a Manager do the editing.

Private User
1/21/2010 at 10:08 PM

I have a book from Lorena Shell Eaker, a very thorough genealogist who documented a number of german immigrants. Johan spelled his name Hefner, Havener, Hofner, and Heavner on a number of official government documents such as land transactions. The name didn't get settled as Heavner until the grandchildren came.

I am fine for changing them all to Heavner for clarity but there should be some notation in the notes that there are a number of spellings that show up on historical records.

1/22/2010 at 8:01 AM

Private User
Hi randy I would like to add you to this dscussion

1/22/2010 at 8:04 AM

Private User
Hi Nancy hope you would enter this discussion.

Private User
2/8/2010 at 6:07 AM

let me take a look and see what i can find in what i have

2/8/2010 at 11:26 AM

Hi everyone, I contacted Nancy Aderholdt (Lapointe) and received the following message from her.
""De nancy a. Lapointe
Je ne fais plus de généalogie et ce depuis 1 an environ, alors inutile d'envoyer des messages. Merci.""

In turn I answered (with the help of my french speaking nephew)
"""Cher Nancy,
Je te remercie pour ta réponse à moi. En ce moment vous « Gérez » quelques profils dans Geni qui certains de nous aimerions Fusionner, nous avions espéré que vous les fusionneriez mais de votre lettre il vous ne semble pas de souhait plus long être impliqué dans les Geni. Si si vous pouvez fermer votre compte en allant ici.

http://www.geni.com/account_settings/close_account

still awaiting an

Private User
2/9/2010 at 5:48 AM

lol angus, i am a little rusty on my French, so i don't know what the message says, please translate for me.

2/16/2010 at 3:57 AM

""De nancy a. Lapointe
Je ne fais plus de généalogie et ce depuis 1 an environ, alors inutile d'envoyer des messages. Merci.""

Translation
From nancy a. Lapointe
i havent done geneology since about a year so its useless to send messages thanks

Cher Nancy,
Je te remercie pour ta réponse à moi. En ce moment vous « Gérez » quelques profils dans Geni qui certains de nous aimerions Fusionner, nous avions espéré que vous les fusionneriez mais de votre lettre il vous ne semble pas de souhait plus long être impliqué dans les Geni. Si si vous pouvez fermer votre compte en allant ici.

Translation..
Dear Nancy thanks for replying to me. At present you are 'Managing' some profiles in Geni that some of us would like to Merge, we had hoped you would merge them but from your letter it seems you no longer wish to be involved in Geni. If so you can close your account by going here.

4/19/2010 at 7:51 PM

Spelling of names and specially surnames was for many centuries a matter of individual choice, either by the family father or, the church or civil recorder. It is now a days, that the law has made spelling of surnames consistent with those of the parents. One of the problems was spelling in different languages in use in the same country, so that a name could be spelled according to one of the languages or even in latin if it was recorded in a catholic church. In my own family I have noticed intergenerational surname spellings which are chock full of consonants and maybe a couple of vowels, which one is "correct" I have no idea, since spelling developed from language use.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion