Duplicates

Started by Noah Tutak on Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
2/3/2010 at 2:47 PM

There are two pending merges on this profile. I can merge both in, but I'm not 100% certain they should be merged. Does anyone else have an opinion?

2/3/2010 at 3:51 PM

The first one (managers James Howard and Bryan Edwin Cox) shouldn't be any problem. Same birthyear, same wife but some of the children doesn't match with the cjhilrden in the main profile. (Though there are probably some duplicates among the children in the main profile too.)

The second one has a middle initial wrong, birthyear off by 23 years, same parents, same wife, and the same 29 children. I'm scepticle about this one. Looks to me that he is one generation wrong with wrong parents, wrong wife and wrong siblings. John B Wright is mentioned among the children in the main profile, maybe that is a better match in this case.

2/3/2010 at 5:01 PM

29 children? Was this guy part Rabbit?

2/3/2010 at 5:23 PM

No, only duplicate children that haven't been merged together yet.

But I have among my Schjelderup-family in Norway one priest that had 23 children, 5 with his first wife and 18 with his second. The second wife was 16 years at marriage, of course got her first child about 9 months later, and had her last child at age 42. I do not envy her that job, and I'm a man.... :-)

Private User
2/3/2010 at 5:26 PM

my gr grandma had 18 children . then when she died he remarried and had 4 more. i think rabbits would be envious of these men ^U^

2/6/2010 at 11:46 PM

Well I guess my Granddad did have 18 kids himself with 2 wives. . . over a 40 yr span.

2/8/2010 at 2:39 PM

Thanks Remi, I've completed the first merge and undone the second. Hopefully there is someone out there with more information on this Wright branch.

2/8/2010 at 5:29 PM

I think you made the right choice, Noah.

I always try to get first hand/primary sources to my profiles. Ofcourse it's not always possible, but in this case with a person born i 1809 the possibilty is there.

It's usually a big job to get primary sources to our data, but that must always be our objective. Secondhand sources is never, ever as good as primary ones. Keep that in mind, genealogists on Geni, and never, ever copy information from a site on ther internet without checking if the information is right with primary sources, if there is a possibility to do so.

More than 50% of the homepages with genealogical information that is older than 1700 is wrong. The owner has most often copied bogus information from another homepage. Main rule, if there's no source-citation, DO NOT TRUST IT AND DO NOT COPY IT. iT'S MOST PROBABLY WRONG INFORMATION.

If there are no sources for the information, keep away from the site. That's is why I am so pushing on getting sources into Geni. As long as there's no sources in Geni, all the information is as unreliable as any other homepage with genealogy-information without sources on the internet.

And now you can flame me for my strict point of view. :-)

Remi Pedersen
Semi-proffesional genealogist from Norway.

2/9/2010 at 6:17 AM

I think you're right but sometimes I think it's better to have wrong info than no info. At least then you have a sort of placeholder for when someone finds the right info. Or not. As we say on some of my lists, YMMV (your mileage may vary!).

Private User
2/9/2010 at 9:38 AM

There is always the option of adding extra possible info in the "about me" section, also some sources are based on hand written documents, which could explain some differences in dates from other sources. that doesn't mean the data is wrong just misunderstood, in general if the information is close enough, there is nothing wrong of adding it.

2/11/2010 at 3:26 AM

@Marsha There is no possibility to have no info about a person. You must have gotten the name from someone/somewhere and that is your source for the information about the person even if you only have the name. I would also like that the sources for all information put in the About me section. It will help in merges when we no the source for the information, since we then can compare sources and find out which one we trust the most and use the information from that source.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion