Who exactly was Elizabeth Stawell/Stowell? Was she married to a Beaumont?

Started by Terry Jackson (Switzer) on Thursday, February 11, 2010

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
2/11/2010 at 4:19 PM

There seems to be a question about who this Lady, Elizabeth Stawell/Stowell was and who she married.
She has been linked to Sir @John de Beaumont, @Henry III de Beaumont, (husband(s)) and @Katherine de Beaumont (daughter) however finding any records to substantiate this is proving nigh on impossible. Most references to Elizabeth Stawell or Stowell seem to be in the 17th Century. In my search I found the following:

Effigy of Sir Matthew Stawell, in his knightly armour. He died in 1379, He and his wife, Elizabeth had 14 sons and 7 daughters.

No Dates just the names Henry Beaumont, Elizabeth Stawell and Katherine.

Birth Abt 1332 Saunton, Devon, England
Gender Female
Person ID I11047 4-22-08
Last Modified 23 Apr 2008

Family John Beaumont, b. Abt 1309, Winkleigh, County Devon, England
Children > 1. Catherine (de) Beaumont, b. Abt 1354, Saunton, Devon, England

Family ID F18712

NameHugh Luttrell
Birth1364, Dunster, Somerset, England
Death24 Mar 1428
FatherAndrew Luttrell Sir Knight (~1335-1395)
MotherElizabeth Courtenay (~1333-1395)
1Katherine Beaumont
Birthabt 1354, Somerset, England
Death28 Aug 1435
FatherHenry Beaumont
MotherElizabeth Stawell
ChildrenJohn (1394-1430)

does anybody have any further information about
@henry de beaumont
@John de Beaumont
@Elizabeth Stowell
@Elizabeth Stawell
@Catherine de Beaumont

10/14/2014 at 8:19 AM

I've been reading about the descendants of Alice Comyn and Henry de Beaumont and it seems quite clear that their son Henry de Beaumont, 3rd Baron of Beaumont married Eleanor Lancaster and that they had a son Henry Beaumont, 3rd Baron of Beaumont. But Wikipedia and others only talk about a son

I have been reading about the descendants of Alice Comyn, Countess of Buchan and her husband Herny de Beaumont, 1st Baron Beaumont. Wikapedia and others all agree that they had a son John de Beaumont, 2nd Baron Beaumont who married Eleanor Lancaster and that they had a son Henry de Beaumont, 3rd Baron Beaumont. But after this, no one seems to agree with Geni. There is acknowledgement that Henry not only married Margaret De Vere, but some mention Elizabeth Stawel but the only issue of these two seems to have been Catherine so thre were no male heirs where as we have a Henry as their son. In this line the 4th Baron Beaumont's name was John as I recall. I don't think unless someone has evidence we should continue with this link, especially as only heirs of Alice go back to Robert I, The Magnificient and this is a link from the Beaumonts to the Bliss and Webster clan. It is misleading I believe.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion