• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
Showing all 21 posts
2/15/2010 at 1:29 PM

Caution to anyone merging in this area ... seems to have been a bunch of William de Beauchamp ancestors merged together in different ways to create a bramble from a tree. Be careful and pass up creating big pending merge stacks for merging what you can that you know is right.

Private User
2/15/2010 at 2:27 PM

I have Beauchamp ancestors but have not added that area to the tree on Geni [as yet] = I hate to think what kind of mess there is for me to find.

I am not happy with the way in which names have been added and linked.

I have tried to make some corrections [ in other areas] but Geni will NOT let the corrections go through.

2/15/2010 at 2:31 PM

Don't go look, kinda like a chainsaw massacre. Just a lot of similar looking people that were likely hot matched together and ancester loops have formed. Ugly.

Private User
2/15/2010 at 3:20 PM

Gene, I'm sorry if I messed anything up. I do not have de Beauchamps that I know of. I did agree to merge with whoever asked me.... I guess I won;t do that anymore.

Private User
2/15/2010 at 3:56 PM

Gail, it's not your fault. These messages go to everyone who collaborates with the person who started whether or not they comanage the profile. :)

The medieval lines are all a mess. There will be more than one person with the same name but somehow some of them get merged together. It's a mess to clean up. I try to avoid it as much as I can.

I think some of these pending merge stacks come from resolving parent conflicts. Perhaps when a person does that they can go through the parents stacks and undo any incorrect pending merges.

@Randolph it might be because you do not collaborate with whoever manages the profile of the parent/spouse/child/whatever. Have you seen the merge issues discussions. There is also a discussion for break relationships requests. They are both in the public discussions area.

2/15/2010 at 5:00 PM

Gail ... sorry, don't think I saw your name anywhere in that area ... just a general warning to all ...

Private User
2/15/2010 at 5:02 PM

Too many Merges! Some of mine is messed wu! Take care. Dahnmon take a look at my site. http://dahnmonwhittfamily.com

Private User
2/15/2010 at 5:27 PM

Thanks, Laura. You made me feel better!

Private User
2/15/2010 at 5:35 PM

If you look at the pending merge screen(s), you should be able to see who added each profile to the stack. The person's name should be in the lower right hand corner as you click on each profile at the botton.

Find the people responsible for pairing unlike profiles together and communicate directly with them. That will be much more effective than using a public discussion.

Private User
2/15/2010 at 5:41 PM

@David: the name of the merger can be from a merge further up in the lines - be careful blaming the merger (I have even seen my own name on merges, done dates when I have not been online!)

Private User
2/15/2010 at 5:53 PM

Susanna, that doesn't sound right. If this is happening, then there is a bug in Geni's software and it should be reported to help@geni.com.

2/15/2010 at 5:53 PM

@David .... these big stacks have a geometry of their own, like Susannah, I've seen bad merges that I supposedly did, which either means I made a bad merge or the dynamics are weird, both are possible ... and since I'm doing a bunch of unstacking / restacking to get things right I just wanted people to know.

Private User
2/15/2010 at 6:00 PM

I've seen that where the merge was undone and the next person remerges it the first merger before the merge was undone shows up

So if I stacked some profiles then realized they were wrong and undid them someone else could come along and stack them again but my name would show up as I merged them originally. I've seen people's names as mergers when I know that they weren't the last ones who did it.

Private User
2/15/2010 at 6:04 PM

I've found my name on incorrect merged too. And yes, the original error was made by someone else further up the line who usually confused generations where one or both parents had the same or similar names to a child and their spouse (e.g., William I, William II, etcf.- all married to someone named "Mary"). It's especially a problem when birth dates are unknown or uncertain.

But that doesn't give me or anyone else a valid excuse for blindly merging what appears to be matches without actually checking them out first. I have never seen a pending merge with my name on it that happened on days I wasn't online.

I just wish that Geni's tool gave you a way to see the full profule in another window or tab before you drop names on top of one another.

2/15/2010 at 6:17 PM

This is why I hate geni. Using your own program and updating it on your own computer is better. Then I've been using rootsweb and ancestry.com to hold old trees (or delete them) On geni if you have a mistake in your tree. Then you have to delete your account-then reopen a new account with the correct info. Geni does NOT delete the incorrect tree but leaves it on-line as an unmanaged tree so some poor guy thinks it's correct and copies the tree.
In one old tree someone marked me as being dead. When I mentioned that I was still alive. The new manger tried to delete me. I'm still listed as dead. But there's a note saying that he was deleting me I only keep my geni account open in hopes of finding new info.
as for the Beauchamp family and the royal families of europe. the families are so messed up it should be a crime. For royal families check the family sites themself (ie Queen Elisabeth II has her own site.)

Private User
2/15/2010 at 6:32 PM

Thanks, I understand. Check out my site. http://dahnmonwhittfamily.com

2/15/2010 at 7:34 PM

I have been working off and on for weeks in the Beauchamp, and closely related Le Strange line, trying to untangle the mess where ever I could. One bit of information I just found from The Peerage.com:

Isabella de Beauchamp was the daughter of William de Beauchamp, 9th Earl of Warwick and Maud FitzJohn.1

Maud FitzJohn is the daughter of John FitzGeoffrey and Isabel Bigod.

There has been confusion whether William de Beauchamp was married to Maud FitzJohn, or Maud FitzGeoffrey. The answer is: They are one and the same person!

The Irish surname prefix Fitz means "son of" (don't ask me why it was used for a daughter), but many times they used a double last name, first the father, then the grand father. In this case the correct sequence would have been Maud FitzJohn FitzGeoffrey. or it could be shortened to either Maud FitzJohn or Maud FitzGeoffrey and still refer to the identical person.

2/15/2010 at 8:15 PM

Daniel ... I've added a "+" before the profiles I'm using as the main line, ones with a "*" are those I have permissions for ... I have been taking the stacks apart, trying to find the "ancestor can't merge" problem.

2/15/2010 at 10:30 PM

Hi,
I think I have de Beauchamp in my tree somewhere. If I were you, I'd go for it! Bring up two windows; one of your tree and one of another user here on Geni, use the information to build your tree. Check your information using other sites and viola, you have about as much info as the rest of us, maybe not so tangled.
I hope this helps, Desiree

Private User
2/16/2010 at 4:24 AM

@Marvin: Geni was designed for the [long term] purpose of figuring out how everyones' separate trees worldwide connect together. It's been understood and expected all along that users of all levels of skill and seriousness would be coming and going all the time. Consequently it should be expected that things will progress in a "three steps forward, two steps back, etc." fashion for the foreseeable future.

If you were expecting constant progress, and that once something is fixed it will stay fixed forever, then it's no wonder that you hate Geni. Geni apparently isn't at all what you're looking for.

I've been involved with this Geni "experiment" since the beginning, and would never consider it a replacement for the genealogical work that I do on my own. That being said, I still think it's amazing.

Dave K.

3/8/2010 at 10:30 AM

I have unmerged Ida Longespee from Isabel Mauduit. Although both married William de Beauchamp they were different Williams.
Ida m 2nd William d bef 1243 s/oSimon & Isabella
Isabel m William of Elmley d c 1268 s/o William & Joan

Showing all 21 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion