• Евелина Май
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

• Debendranath
    Geni member
Showing all 5 posts
Private User
3/5/2010 at 1:38 AM

I am sure nobody will be offended by a story that goes back about 60 years, and I especially would not like to offend Paromita.
In the early fifties, Leila Das/Seeley (my aunt) finally agreed to marry Bruce Trinder. It happened at the Fulham Registry, and I THINK Debu was one of the witnesses.
Leila and Bruce were amazingly kind to their "nephews" (Debu and me). Really wonderful. I think this was when they lived in Rivermead Court (Putney, next to the Hurlingham Club)
I even remember Koni's charming presence at that time.
The Trinders had an Austin A40 then, and I remember their refusing to let me take my Norwegian gf Else to Wimbledon on the pillion of my motorbike (can't remember whether it was the Matchless or a later BSA A7 Twin) - I must use the car! So that must have been at the time I was up at Jesus College Oxford.
I don't know who Debu had as company when HE borrowed the car.
Later, the Trinders acquired a rather super Wolseley (as part of some insurance repossession deal (Bruce was a Director of an insurance company) No disrespect, but I remember shaking my head in disbelief when I was told that Debu had slightly bent the Wolseley. But the Trinders seemed quite unruffled!
So that's the thread that ties this story together - Debu and me
in England, motors, and the Trinders.

Private User
3/11/2010 at 7:40 PM

Choon, that is a marvellous anecdote! I wish there was some way we could collect these little snippets for posterity. It is indeed very interesting.
I remember Aunty Leila in Harington Mansions when Uncle Bruce was still trying to persuade to marry him! Your Grandparents were living there at that time.
A distant cousin of ours, Neil Sen in London has been pursuing a sort of history of the family and especially, our grandparents. Neil's great grand father was the brother of our great grand mother, Brahmonmoyee. In fact, he has even traced the back educational background of our two grand fathers eldest brother, Satya Ranjan. He too was educated in Britain and was at the University College and thn Emmanuel. His great grandson, Arup Bose lives in Calcutta and got in touch with me through Geni.com! Amazing, isn't it?
I had not met Arup but he came to my younger brother, Ranjan''s Memorial Service. And we have kept in touch since then through e mails.
Reyhan

2/16/2011 at 10:58 AM

very interesting indeed.
Various ones have collected tidbits of news, including anecdotes, throughout history - one which I'd very much like to peruse is Billy Smith's Views which was his collection of articles, ... from the people in Indiana, Illinois, ... I'm sure there are numerous stories in this which would tie into my lines; and even give me insight as to finding more siblings, parents, et.al.

Private User
2/22/2011 at 11:41 PM

Wow, what a wonderful story.

Reyhan Pishi,
my mother and I were trying to do what you are suggesting - collecting stories and anecdotes of our family. My mother and I went to Shantiniketan in 2006 or 2007 to meet with K.N.Roy's grandson (Khokhon Roy), who gave us a whole lot of stories about K.N.Roy, the communist escapades of Khokhon Roy, Lokhi pishi, Indrajit Gupta and his brother.

We were hoping to capture these stories so they don't get lost for posterity. Mita di (Hosali) is also trying to do something similiar, and I think she's made some headway on the idea.

Love,
Chetan

Private User
2/27/2011 at 12:04 AM

Private User what an absolutely charming story. why would I be offended - I know from stories Baba used to tell me that he was always up to mischief but he could charm anyone into forgiving him almost anything!

Thank you so much for sharing that story.

Lots of hugs
Paromita

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion